Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Elbow. Up there at the top of the boring-band-league with Stereophonics.

Totally. Although I tend to lump them in with Coldplay, as terminally dull. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I have always completely lacked ambition. My 'career' objective was always to do the minimum possible hours compatible with a reasonable salary. And never take work home. My definition of life is what you do in your leisure time - anything that interferes with that is merely a 'necessary evil'. 

That's why I love being retired. People ask me if it was hard to adapt, and I say "No, it just feels like a belated return to normality, having been rudely interrupted for forty-odd years". 

When I see these rich, driven career types, I have absolutely zero envy. By my criteria their lives are a complete failure. The thought of living like that horrifies me. 

I'm kind of in the middle.

I was always career driven until recently.

I do want a good salary and a nice house and a nice car and to support the family well. But I think now I only want that up to a point. I think I'll end up levelling out on career progression, probably when I have a family.

We'll see.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I have always completely lacked ambition. My 'career' objective was always to do the minimum possible hours compatible with a reasonable salary. And never take work home. My definition of life is what you do in your leisure time - anything that interferes with that is merely a 'necessary evil'. 

That's why I love being retired. People ask me if it was hard to adapt, and I say "No, it just feels like a belated return to normality, having been rudely interrupted for forty-odd years". 

When I see these rich, driven career types, I have absolutely zero envy. By my criteria their lives are a complete failure. The thought of living like that horrifies me. 

I do want a good salary and a nice house and a nice car and to support the family well. But I think now I only want that up to a point. I think I'll end up levelling out on career progression, probably when I have a family.

We'll see.

I have no drive or ambition in my career/ job at all, but I put that down to having no idea what I want to do, so I'm happy just to float through for the time being.

I think if I ever realise what I want to do I'll throw myself into it.

I have a friend who's a primary school teacher, something he's wanted to do since he was 11. I think that's brilliant, I'm envious of that.

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Sounds like you want to be a swimmer :detect:

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I have no drive or ambition in my career/ job at all, but I put that down to having no idea what I want to do, so I'm happy just to float through for the time being.

I have a friend who's a primary school teacher, something he's wanted to do since he was 11. I think that's brilliant, I'm envious of that.

The concept of enjoying your job is completely alien to me.

If I could earn what I earn now in a job I love, but have absolutely no chance of ever getting paid more than I do now I would take it in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The concept of enjoying your job is completely alien to me.

If I could earn what I earn now in a job I love, but have absolutely no chance of ever getting paid more than I do now I would take it in a heartbeat.

You might be in the wrong job/career/company.

I really enjoy my job and career, i've known its what i've wanted to do since the age of 11.

I could earn £10k more if i moved to a different company, or £10-20k if i moved up the corporate ladder, but why do that when it might make me less happy. 

Edited by ender4

39 minutes ago, ender4 said:

You might be in the wrong job/career/company.

I really enjoy my job and career, i've known its what i've wanted to do since the age of 11.

I could earn £10 more if i moved to a different company, or £10-20k if i moved up the corporate ladder, but why do that when it might make me less happy. 

Yep, I probably am.

But what's the right career/job/company?

I'm like Paddy, I've never know what I wanted to do so i don't have that burning desire to be a teacher or a lawyer or a space cowboy.

As it happens I have a "good" career, earn a decent wage and am making my way up the ladder slowly but surely. 
It's hard to throw that away. To start a new career now would more than likely mean a significant pay cut and lifestyle change.

I acknowledge the greater need to be happy. That's something I'll seriously address in the future. If/when I'm married with kids I think I'll value that happiness over money a lot more.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We'll see.

I'm driven to a point of earning enough money as quickly as I can to retire on. 

I'm not 'corporate' enough to make it to the top. I don't buy into management bullshit and brown nosing, I just let my results and work do the talking. It works to a point but i'm never going to be a high flyer. I just want to lead a comfortable life

Health is wealth and don't ever forget it. Being well off or comfortable is a nice bonus but a bonus is just what it is. Along as I can afford my own house then I'm happy with that. Would like to retire at 60 but it's no big deal if I can't. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

oh-yes-gag1vz.jpg

It's just a matter of opinion but Stereophonics are my favourite band. Even though they've produced complete shite, I've still bought everything they've ever produced. Their last album was alright considering the dirge they've peddled. 

I don't know how it happened but I've just always stuck with them.

Elbow on the other hand have had one good song and that was Grounds for Divorce.

• Like 1

Â