Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

data protection is just the excuse - the real reason is we don't trust some workers to do any work at home. 

Some employees would work hard at home, and some would take the piss.

But you can't allow those you think would work fine to do it, and then say no to others because you know they are going to take the piss. 

Which basically comes down to "we don't know how to evaluate our staff's performance".

If the work gets done, it shouldn't matter if they're in the office, at home, or on the beach with cocktails and a barbecue on the go. If they're not performing, discipline and dismiss them. Hours spent in the office seem to be considered all the evidence needed of doing the job in some places I've worked, which is just crazy.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

Depends on the company. At JLR I got to work from home a lot, which was brilliant.

At the new place it just doesn't happen apart from very extenuating circumstances.

Tbh, the rules are quite clearly in jest, my only dead certs are no tomato ketchup or butter on a bacon sarnie and the bread MUST be dipped into the frying pan after cooking. Oh and no ketchup with chips.

Basically I **** hate tomato ketchup. I'd inwardly hate you for putting butter on a bacon sarnie but ultimately I wouldn't want to smash your face into the **** plate either.

Edited by Ingram85

I do wonder how much of it is regional too.

All the time I lived with my mom and dad we never had anything other than brown sauce on a bacon/sausage sandwich, and for the life of me I can never, ever remember going into a cafe / greasy spoon in the Black Country area and being served a bacon sarnie with butter on it.

As Ingram says, just a quick dip of the bread in the frying pan and a splash or brown sauce and you're good to go.

Edited by Designer1

I was dismayed when I saw Walter White spread mayo on his sandwich instead of butter.  I honestly didn't think a sandwich without butter was a thing, but then I came to accept that Americans are weird.

But now this.  No butter on a bacon sandwich?!  What the hell is this nonsense!?

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

What about a chip butty? Some chip shops in the North East will automatically do  you a chip butty, without butter unless you ask for it, and vice versa. Personally, I don't know how you can eat a dry chip butty? Half the fun of a chip butty, I shaving the melted butter drip down your arm. If it ain't got butter on it, then that isn't even a butty! That's a chip sandwich. Which is a waste of everyone's time.

Yep, chip butty needs to have lots of butter.

You've just reminded me, they used to do chip butties at the Villa, I used to love them. Maybe they still do them elsewhere in the ground, I don't know. Choice seems very limited in the Upper Holte.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

What about a chip butty? Some chip shops in the North East will automatically do you a chip butty, without butter unless you ask for it, and vice versa. Personally, I don't know how you can eat a dry chip butty? Half the fun of a chip butty, is shaving the melted butter drip down your arm. If it ain't got butter on it, then that isn't even a butty! That's a chip sandwich. Which is a waste of everyone's time.

Got to have butter on a chip sandwich :thumb:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I'd inwardly hate you for putting butter on a bacon sarnie but ultimately I wouldn't want to smash your face into the **** plate either.

But why?

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The number of times we've discussed this topic nobody has actually given a reason for this no butter nonsense. Just "don't do it". Why not? It tastes better.

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Because its wrong :P

See? :) 

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

You butter your bread.  It's as simple as that.  You're a cave-dwelling savage if you don't.  I'm trying to think of scenarios where you don't butter your bread here and the nearest I can come is if you're dipping it in soup, and even then it's better buttered.  Some of you.  Honestly.  Tut tut.

Yeah pretty much this.

If you don't butter your bread for certain sandwiches then that's fine. But don't act like the people who butter EVERY sandwich are the weird ones :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

What about a chip butty? Some chip shops in the North East will automatically do you a chip butty, without butter unless you ask for it, and vice versa. Personally, I don't know how you can eat a dry chip butty? Half the fun of a chip butty, is shaving the melted butter drip down your arm. If it ain't got butter on it, then that isn't even a butty! That's a chip sandwich. Which is a waste of everyone's time.

I honestly thought the word 'butty' was derived from butter.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

See, you're making me obsessed now:):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/features/whats-the-formula-for-the-perfect-bacon-sandwich/

The nation's favourite bacon butty recipe is - drum roll, please - white un-toasted sliced bread, smoked bacon and brown sauce. Shockingly, butter doesn't get a look-in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't get bacon.

I mean it's ok, I'll eat it but I don't crave it. The sausage is king for me and it's not even close.

Can't believe no one has thrown a Kenneth out yet!

So here we are:

KennethWilliams.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I can work from home whenever I want but I choose not to. I like the atmosphere and environment at my workplace.

I already work half-remotely when I'm at the office anyway.

I can do one day, maybe two days at home before I'm bored. I like being in the office most of the time, we have a laugh.

The occasional day from home is good as well though... especially if I have a few errands to run. 

Â