Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I was only in the last 6 months or so I found out putting both butter and mayo on your sarnie was wrong. I now agree it is wrong, it should be one or the other.

Does that mean you wouldn't butter an egg mayo sandwich?

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I was only in the last 6 months or so I found out putting both butter and mayo on your sarnie was wrong. I now agree it is wrong, it should be one or the other.

Ooh, that's a good point. I don't butter, if I mayo.

21 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I would.

In fact I do it every single time I make a sandwich as there's mayo on it the vast majority of the time.

I can work from home whenever I want but I choose not to. I like the atmosphere and environment at my workplace.

I already work half-remotely when I'm at the office anyway.

Oh my god can we get this stickied please!

The rules:

Bacon/sausage/egg sarnie - no butter. Brown or no sauce. Always dip the bread in the pan. Any deviations are for paedos or sandal wearers.

Chips - Mayo, bbq sauce, gravy, curry sauce or mushy peas. Anything condiment wise basically that isn't tomato ketchup. Salt and Vinegar is optional. *Baked bean juice or chopped tomato run off is just about acceptable as an unavoidable side effect of a full English.

The only offenders are tomato ketchup (if you eat this then you are pure scum), salad cream and butter. These three constants belong nowhere near a greasy sandwich or chips.

Edited by Ingram85

22 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The rules:

Bacon/sausage/egg sarnie - no butter. Brown or no sauce. Always dip the bread in the pan. Any deviations are for paedos or sandal wearers.

Chips - Mayo, bbq sauce, gravy, curry sauce or mushy peas. Anything condiment wise basically that isn't tomato ketchup. Salt and Vinegar is optional. *Baked bean juice or chopped tomato run off is just about acceptable as an unavoidable side effect of a full English.

The only offenders are tomato ketchup (if you eat this then you are pure scum), salad cream and butter. These three constants belong nowhere near a greasy sandwich or chips.

How can one post have so much wrong with it?

Bacon/Sausage sandwich - butter on one side, ketchup or brown sauce.

Chips - Curry sauce or ketchup or gravy (mushy peas are acceptable but not to my taste)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

It's utter bollocks isn't it. I could easily do my job from home, Data Protection Act is the reason we can't. I could break the data protection act if I wanted to all day every day in the office and they wouldn't have a clue. It makes zero bloody difference

Same here, for the exact same reasons. One of our offices had a notice of closure couple of months back. They're having to move in to another office to share space for awhile, then move in to a purpose built 'hub'. When the annoucement was made the question was asked of the head of department about working from home, who said something along the lines of "never going to happen, stop thinking about it, carry on dreaming", in his typical abrasive style. It is crazy, they could safeguard use of sensitive data at home just as well as in the office, and as you say even then, nothing is 100% safe.

On the issue of working times, I would hate to have a 9-5 imposed on me. I have flexi working hours, typically do a 7 - 3.15, 7-2 on Fridays.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I can work from home whenever I want but I choose not to. I like the atmosphere and environment at my workplace.

Same here.

I think it makes things harder if you actually need to work as a team, as well. So many good ideas come out of just sitting around and throwing random shit out informally in the office, or overhearing another conversation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogso said:

Do you know what is really nice?

Peanut butter on chips.

Peanut butter on anything is wrong.

The best weird chip combo is milkshake. The saltiness of the chip combined with the sweet-creaminess of the milkshake; heaven.

38 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The rules:

The number of times we've discussed this topic nobody has actually given a reason for this no butter nonsense. Just "don't do it". Why not? It tastes better.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The number of times we've discussed this topic nobody has actually given a reason for this no butter nonsense. Just "don't do it". Why not? It tastes better.

I've got a weird butterphobia from back when my Mum bless her used to make my sandwiches for school and there was so much butter/low fat equivalent that it used to make me gag.  It's why I can only eat it when it's melted, the sight of it makes me feel queasy.

11 minutes ago, hogso said:

When the annoucement was made the question was asked of the head of department about working from home, who said something along the lines of "never going to happen, stop thinking about it, carry on dreaming", in his typical abrasive style. It is crazy, they could safeguard use of sensitive data at home just as well as in the office, and as you say even then, nothing is 100% safe.

data protection is just the excuse - the real reason is we don't trust some workers to do any work at home. 

Some employees would work hard at home, and some would take the piss.

But you can't allow those you think would work fine to do it, and then say no to others because you know they are going to take the piss. 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Do one side so it's not greasy; add sauce then put your hot sausage/bacon so it all melts together.

People are weird.

Or just do whatever the **** you want.

If you have some weird rule that you don't put butter on certain sandwiches just because you don't, don't think the people who are consistent and put butter on all sandwiches are the weird ones :) 

40 minutes ago, choffer said:

You do? I pretty much come and go as I please. Even if I have a meeting, I often just call it in.

In a fairly new job (5 months), no one in my team does it with any sort of regularity, so I've decided not to push for it yet as I'm still new. In my last company we were 'allowed' to work from home up to two days a week, suffice to say I took full advantage of it. 

The thing is, companies go on about work life balance, but working from home is probably the easiest, virtually cost-less way to improve said balance for people. There are clear advantages to it from a wellbeing perspective - more time in bed to rest, no commute (something that people routinely cite as among the most stressful part of the day), more time in the day for yourself (i.e. the time saved from not commuting). It really is a no-brainer, the only obstacle are these old school types who like to 'see' what you're doing and accost you in person for requests.

• Like 2

Â