Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

25 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Yep, although they have to be real bastards and proper tax dodgers for me to commit to avoiding them. I.e. Nestle. Just supporting a party I don't like seems a bit extreme for me. Amazon is a real bugger though... I thought I'd got round it by using Abebooks - until I realised they were owned by Amazon too :( Most of the time I manage to avoid it, but there's always something at some point I need to use it for. Very irritating. 

Fortunately many of the stuff cited is shit I would avoid anyway for reasons of taste -like the Sun and coffee at Starbucks so the whole boycotting thing is moot.

I believe from my works firewall that by using this website you are also in a roundabout way supporting Amazon :)

47 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The only real power consumers have is voting with their wallets.

I couldn't give a shit how good their products are, I wouldn't give the bastards at Nestle a **** penny. Kitkats and mediocre coffee aren't worth funding one of the most malacious corporations on the planet.

I thought I had the Nestlé boycott perfected until I realised they own a percentage of Diesel clothing through their share in L'Oréal.  I've more than my fair share of Diesel.  That's the one thing Nestlé are getting out of me, albeit via a very small percentage.

24 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I believe from my works firewall that by using this website you are also in a roundabout way supporting Amazon :)

they have their tentacles everywhere. I remember being dismayed when National Geographic were owned by 21st Century Fox. But it'll always be like that, if I'm going to pay them money it'll at least be for products I enjoy reading.

27 minutes ago, BOF said:

I thought I had the Nestlé boycott perfected until I realised they own a percentage of Diesel clothing through their share in L'Oréal.  I've more than my fair share of Diesel.  That's the one thing Nestlé are getting out of me, albeit via a very small percentage.

not sure I can trust a man that doesn't eat from the After Eight mints passed around at dinner parties :) 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

not sure I can trust a man that doesn't eat from the After Eight mints passed around at dinner parties :)

Two things here :)

Firstly I can't even remember the last time I was offered an After Eight.  Maybe I need more dinner parties.

Secondly, my boycott is w.r.t. giving them money.  So unless I'm paying my host for the After Eight mint then I wouldn't have a problem.  I'm not that anal about it (ooo err).

Basically they're not getting my money.  Everyone else can do what they like.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

My cat clearly doesn't have a social conscious as she eats their Purina product range without a care

It's stuffed full of cereal. Premium pricing but it's not a good cat food. :( 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It's stuffed full of cereal. Premium pricing but it's not a good cat food. :( 

Well I am shocked.  I mean, if you can't trust Nestlé, who on earth can you trust?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Well I am shocked.  I mean, if you can't trust Nestlé, who on earth can you trust?

tbf that applies to a lot of cat foods ..if it helps though Purina claim on their website

that no ingredients such as spinal cord, euthanized pets or sick animals go into our pet foods.

The question is that when you consider the accumulated atrocities which have been done in our name in pursuit of economic advantage across the globe, on which were built the foundations of white privilege, should we feel quite so smugly virtuous for buying a bag of fair-trade bananas and refusing to buy Nestle coffee?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

How is it different, if it's something you believe in? If I have a social or political conscience (and the two are not mutually exclusive), not to contributing to something I believe does harm to me and my society is a logical step to take. Unfortunately I'm not even anywhere near where I'd like to be yet. I still use the services of corporations I really don't like, and I'm still learning about companies I didn't even realise had links to things I'm ideologically opposed to. Personally I think I have a responsibility to spend my money as wisely as possible, so as not to contribute to the things I disagree with.   

Dunno really. The NEstle stuff and other things like slavery/ child labour seem a  lot more serious to me than what party a certain company is aligned to.

Boycotting a brand of bread because they donate to the tory party seems mental to me.

But each to their own. If you believe in it then fair play.

11 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The question is that when you consider the accumulated atrocities which have been done in our name in pursuit of economic advantage across the globe, on which were built the foundations of white privilege, should we feel quite so smugly virtuous for buying a bag of fair-trade bananas and refusing to buy Nestle coffee?

Are you suggesting that if we can't fix the world's biggest problems, there's no point trying to make a positive difference at all?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

If the question really did revolve around consumer choice relating to bananas and coffee, then the question's author must surely live in some kind of wierd parallel universe, in which things are not as they are, but as they seem to be through some warped, distorting spectacles.

So, it's really not the question. I suppose it is a question, but as questions go it is one of the more loaded, passive aggressive versions, making as it does all kinds of unsupported assumptions.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

What did Nestle do?

lowered the sugar content in a range of their sweets and chocolates.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/07/nestle-sugar-remove-uk-ireland-2018

Nestlé to remove 10% of sugar from all snacks in UK and Ireland by 2018

Corporation vows to cut equivalent of 7,500 tonnes of sugar from confectionery without resorting to artificial sweeteners

Edited by ender4

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

its cool. 

Makes you look like a don, gets you the girls, makes you thinner, and gives you an air of mystery and intrigue.  

while hooked up to a ventilator

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The only company I boycott is Aviva... that has nothing to do with any political reasons, just that they are crap 

Avoiding someone cuz they're just shit isn't a boycott :) 

Â