Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

8 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

I find the whole modern day, super analysis culture really tiresome. 

It is epitomised by the modern football fan. Being critical of everything doesn't make you a critical thinker it makes you a depressing bore. 

How about picking the positives out a bit more?

Pies were nice and hot saturday :)

Okay, a rant about the catering at Villa Park, sorry. I know we have more important things to worry about at the moment but the whole thing needs a massive overhaul.

3 times this season I've ordered and paid for something (once on card) for them to then turn round and say "oh, we've ran out of that".

Several times I haven't been given the combination price for two items, like a beer and a pie and have been charged full price.

The queues this season at half time have been the longest I've seen them in the 10 years I've been in the upper holte, 25-30 people queuing back to the turnstiles.

They still take your bottle top before giving you the drink, which doesn't make sense. Is it in case I launch it because I'm allowed to take cans in? I could take a bottle top in if wanted.

/rant over, sorry.

Just now, Paddywhack said:

3 times this season I've ordered and paid for something (once on card) for them to then turn round and say "oh, we've ran out of that".

Yes. yes, yes!!!

What the ****

In any other industry or any other place, they wouldn't even try it and if they did, you'd kick off hugely. But because we're thicko blokes at the footie we're expected to just get on with it.

I want my Villa slaw. I pay 4 quid for a pulled pork bap so I want my **** Villa slaw.

• Like 1

I've half ranted about this in the fan consultation topic, but I totally agree.

The catering at VP is laughably bad. There's loads of problems, but it's the speed, or lack of it, that gets to me.

It's so slow. So **** slow. And it would be easy to implement change in there, but nobody seems to do it.

On Saturday I left my seat on 41 minutes to go down and get chips.
I missed the first 5 minutes of the second half. That's how long it took me to get them.

I reckon there were 6 people in front of me in my queue when I got to the kiosk.

When I got my chips, my mate who was next in line with me was waiting genuinely, and I'm not exaggerating, a further 5 minutes before he got his.
This was because they'd run out of forks so the girl on the till went to look for some. Nobody else took over.

It's a proper joke.

• Like 1

People who show up late and leave early from games. A few that I go with routinely show up after 5 or so minutes, then leave before added time is announced. Do they do this for films as well? Or gigs? If you don't want to be there, why waste the money?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

People who show up late and leave early from games. A few that I go with routinely show up after 5 or so minutes, then leave before added time is announced. Do they do this for films as well? Or gigs? If you don't want to be there, why waste the money?

Back when I lived in Brum, and had a season ticket, this was a regular occurrence for me. This was a combination of being a bit of a booze hound (so staying in the pub for one more drink), and just not being that arsed sometimes (Wimbledon at home, and you just knew it was going to be a stinker). I only missed the odd goal too. Leaving late was all dependent on how the match was going. 3-0 goals either way, with 10 mins to go, and we might as well get out early, to jump the bus or get to the bar. I found you could get a feel of how it was going to go, and if there would be a late winner / equaliser. 99 times out of 100 that feeling is right.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I don't get why people always have to turn around.  I mean is it that hard to be facing the right way in the first place?  Happens all the time.  It's like "...then she turns around says...".  Well how rude that she had her back to you all that time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

I find it amusing when watching The Villa View YT channel, that when it comes to the post-match interviews, the most balanced analysis comes from 8-year-old kids.

It proves that when it comes to football, it is all downhill once you are 8.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't get why people always have to turn around.  I mean is it that hard to be facing the right way in the first place?  Happens all the time.  It's like "...then she turns around says...".  Well how rude that she had her back to you all that time.

Haha very true. BUT I did actually mean turn around in this instance, turning round from checking the non existent food.

35 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I find it amusing when watching The Villa View YT channel, that when it comes to the post-match interviews, the most balanced analysis comes from 8-year-old kids.

It proves that when it comes to football, it is all downhill once you are 8.

I was thinking the other day that when I was 8 I remember very clearly the crushing heart break of losing to Germany on pens at Italia 90 and how good a lesson that was for a lifetime of supporting Villa. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I was thinking the other day that when I was 8 I remember very clearly the crushing heart break of losing to Germany on pens at Italia 90 and how good a lesson that was for a lifetime of supporting Villa. 

I was 10, but feel your pain. Although, David Platt scoring against Belgium was also the best moment of my life, up to that point. Oh to feel unbridled joy like that again!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I was 10, but feel your pain. Although, David Platt scoring against Belgium was also the best moment of my life, up to that point. Oh to feel unbridled joy like that again!

It was the spark that set things on fire for me. I'd always played and enjoyed football before that but ever since then I've been football mad. 

Edited by villaglint

5 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

It is epitomised by the modern football fan. Being critical of everything doesn't make you a critical thinker it makes you a depressing bore. 

How about picking the positives out a bit more?

Pies were nice and hot saturday :)

I find the obsession with statistics tiresome as well. Football isn't that type of sport like Baseball or Cricket where they have always been key.  Football is more fluid than that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've half ranted about this in the fan consultation topic, but I totally agree.

The catering at VP is laughably bad. There's loads of problems, but it's the speed, or lack of it, that gets to me.

It's so slow. So **** slow. And it would be easy to implement change in there, but nobody seems to do it.

On Saturday I left my seat on 41 minutes to go down and get chips.
I missed the first 5 minutes of the second half. That's how long it took me to get them.

I reckon there were 6 people in front of me in my queue when I got to the kiosk.

When I got my chips, my mate who was next in line with me was waiting genuinely, and I'm not exaggerating, a further 5 minutes before he got his.
This was because they'd run out of forks so the girl on the till went to look for some. Nobody else took over.

It's a proper joke.

I just couldn't put up with that. I wouldn't eat or drink there. The thought of having to wait 25 mins for overpriced chips would stress me out!

Non league football is great in that respect. Hardly any queues! 

Today I noticed an advert in the metro for a mobile phone contract where you could carry over unused data. 

This got me thinking,  I mean shouldn't that be the norm,  not an unusual feature? 

I have paid you what you wanted for x amount of data,  minutes or texts,  why the hell should they disappear just because I haven't used them?  I have bought them so they should be mine,  who are you to take them away? 

What other industry would get away with this?  Seriously who? 

If I fill up my car with petrol,  do BP come along at the end of the month and syphon off what's left? 

Do Sainsburys come to my house at the end of each week and rifle through my fridge for unused groceries? 

Does my employer empty my bank account of any unused wages before the next monthly pay goes in? 

I mean when you think about it it's actually quite bizarre. 

I wonder if anyone has ever gone to court to challenge it?  It seems to be the epitome of an unfair contract. 

Yet it seems they can advertise to us how lovely they are to let us keep something we have paid them for like they are doing us a favour. 

The worlds bloody mad. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Several times I haven't been given the combination price for two items, like a beer and a pie and have been charged full price.

Maybe they should sub the catering out to Tesco....... Oh wait. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I can understand it when we're losing (or winning, lol) by a couple of goals or more. Leaving early. I don't do it myself but I can understand it.

But it's insane the amount of people who stream out of VP when there's 1 goal in it. Or scores are level. 

Why?

The problem is the season ticket and the way they sell away tickets ties you in to it

you want to go to blues, burton, Rotherham away? You need a season ticket to do it properly, either that or borrow a reference

do I want to spend my Saturday afternoon in February when it's 0 degrees and trying to snow watching villa play shit and lose to Ipswich? Of course I don't but i did want to go for a day out in London for Fulham away so I put up with it

that said I finally buckled Saturday and gave my ST away, had enough, I'll do blues at home, maybe burton away, Blackburn for the last away game if they give us 8k tickets

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I can understand it when we're losing (or winning, lol) by a couple of goals or more. Leaving early. I don't do it myself but I can understand it.

But it's insane the amount of people who stream out of VP when there's 1 goal in it. Or scores are level. 

Why?

I used to think like that and never ever leave early.

I have started doing do lately though,  I did on Saturday. 

I find it so dispiriting lately,  I have no faith whatsoever they will do something late,  I have been there so so many times,  I just can't take that agonising last couple of minutes watching them bladder it over the bar,  overrun it for a goal kick,  boot it too long straight into the keepers hands. 

It's the same reason I barely celebrate a goal anymore,  it's so inevitable nothing good will come of it.  I still turn up and always will but I am a beaten man now. 

Incidentally what I have always done is go down to a seat near the exit in the last few minutes.  There always seem to be loads around,  maybe the early leavers get an aisle seat for an easy getaway?  Anyway I know for a fact that I have witnessed far far more goals conceded from those exit seats that goals scored. We 100% are more likely to conced than score late at Villa Park and I have been doing this since the Holte End was rebuilt. 

Edited by sidcow

I left early on Saturday. 

The reason was simple. The marginal value of not queuing to get out of the car park and of turning the car heater on was larger than standing, freezing my nuts off, waiting for the seemingly infinitesimal chance that we might score an equaliser. 

Â