Tom Fox

Cracker1234

1 minute ago, HAL said:

decent striker was needed

new goal keeper

and since we brought rudy for some reason two wingers it tbh I can see why they didnt want to spend more in the summer

but not spending any in the winter was shocking so many points loss due to not having someone to convert the few chances we get

We bought a striker in Gestede and Ayew if you can call him a striker maybe an inside forward in old terminology.

we had a winger in albrighton

We had a winger in Grealish

we bought/wasted 50 million....who can afford to keep doing that.....no new owner would.

but perhaps we are all hoping a new owner appoints the right people and spends their money more prudently?

On 3 March 2016 at 15:28, sharkyvilla said:

Leicester also spent £9m on Kramaric, it's silly comparing everything to the Mahrez deal.  I don't think it was £20m for those two and I don't think they have been disasters either.  Plus don't forget we could only sign players because we found Benteke in the first place and could sell him at 3 or 4 times what we paid, to which Reilly deserves some credit.  Even the likes of Ayew and Amavi this summer we could probably make a profit if we sold them.  Like I say, I don't think Reilly himself has done that badly, it's a whole mixture of things wrong culturally at the club that has led to our downfall which won't change until we are sold.

It can be questionable making individual examples.....but hey, they have made a collective bunch of good decisions.....just like we did years gone by.

its The AMOUNT of poor decisions of ours that is the issue.....and that is what has landed us royally in the brown stuff.

All clubs make poor player recruitment decisions.....when you make as many as we have over a period of time...this is where you land.

when you make many good decisions, a bad one is bad luck.

when you make the amount of poor decisions it's incompetence and a good one is rendered as lucky.

its utterly shameful what we have done and it is clear to me the people that have done it are misguided.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2016 at 14:56, Demitri_C said:

Leicester found Mahrez for under a mil yet we spent 20m on gana and veretout. Sackable offence alone for that

in fairness you could say that about any team in Premier League

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

in fairness you could say that about any team in Premier League

I could but not many teams wasted50m on crap and are bottom of the league. The reality is we haven't found one gem this summer. 

Amavi was decent until crocked on international duty and Ayew has improved as the season has progressed.

Our biggest mistake was not spending the Benteke/Delph money on the replacements for just those two players, instead we used it on multiple hit and hope cheap buys to supplement the whole squad. The whole transfer window was done on the cheap (yet again)

Unfortunately, you pay for what you get nowadays and hence, we have a squad of average to poor players. However, with a little quality in the side, many of them would appear to be ok.

30 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Amavi was decent until crocked on international duty and Ayew has improved as the season has progressed.

Our biggest mistake was not spending the Benteke/Delph money on the replacements for just those two players, instead we used it on multiple hit and hope cheap buys to supplement the whole squad. The whole transfer window was done on the cheap (yet again)

Unfortunately, you pay for what you get nowadays and hence, we have a squad of average to poor players. However, with a little quality in the side, many of them would appear to be ok.

Still not a signing I'd call a success, he's good but not clinical enough, he had a poor start and that moment of madness against West Ham cost us getting something out of that game and put him out for a while. 

If he sticks around next season and hits 20 goals then of course my view will change but so far I still maintain the money spent on him should have been used better.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Amavi was decent but still had some awful defensive moments. Ayew has been good for around 5 games, decent for a handful and crap for the rest. 

I still maintain the recruitment in the summer was terrible. 

I still can't believe the club thought it was a good idea to go into the season with agbonlahor gestede and ayew as our strikers. 

• Like 2

Amavi had some class, but he was not ready start week in week out in a league and level he had never played at in high pressure position such as left back. Slow integration with Cissokho taking some of that pressure off should have happened. Instead Aly was farmed out and we were left with Richardson as cover.

Gestede was a championship signing and plays like one, he still cost a fair whack but at the time we thought he was back up to Adebeyor or some other big name striker signing which again never happened. We knew Gabby was shot before the season started.

Vertout and Gana were big money signings again and gambles that were never likely to pay off. Even Gana being a bit more experienced meant nothing if the players around him lacked the ability and experience to help bring him on as a player. We wanted him to have the drive and influence of Delph or Cleverly - and this was never going to happen. Vertout should have been a 4 mil sort of gamble, 9 mil is too much for a player who just doesn't look like he belongs in the Premiership even if it looks like he has some attributes that could change that. He would probably grow as a player in the championship, but i doubt we can afford to keep him at that level.

Ayew again is the sort of player you need when you have other players in place, as in two strikers capable of scoring goals. He is neither a striker nor winger but I am sure he has enough ability to get a good transfer somewhere else.

Crespo, Traore, Bunn etc

Rather than get the basics right we splurged a load of money on high risk gambles, which given that Lambert mostly frittered money on low risk gambles it's a stupid policy to go from one extreme to another.

I am not a Sherwood fan but the type of players he was after were probably a better bet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Still not a signing I'd call a success, he's good but not clinical enough, he had a poor start and that moment of madness against West Ham cost us getting something out of that game and put him out for a while. 

If he sticks around next season and hits 20 goals then of course my view will change but so far I still maintain the money spent on him should have been used better.

Your asking a player to score 20 goals a season with Gabby, Hutton etc to deliver the perfect cross. Comon chap? In a Crystal Palace, or even a Stoke side, this guy would be scoring without a problem. At the moment we are as good as asking him to do everything himself.

Sorry off topic

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Your asking a player to score 20 goals a season with Gabby, Hutton etc to deliver the perfect cross. Comon chap? In a Crystal Palace, or even a Stoke side, this guy would be scoring without a problem. At the moment we are as good as asking him to do everything himself.

Sorry off topic

I'm asking him to score close to that amount in the Championship, yes, do you have an issue with that? In what way is that unrealistic given the 'quality' of that league. 

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm asking him to score close to that amount in the Championship, yes, do you have an issue with that? In what way is that unrealistic given the 'quality' of that league. 

He needs half decent players around him. Hutton crossing to him ain't gonna help even in the Championship.

As well as questioning the quality of the summer signings you also have to look at the calamitous decisions of offering new contracts to existing players also presumably sanctioned by Fox etc. We could have ditched Hutton, Bacuna, Westwood, and Gabby and not made Sinclair permanent (I think he showed he was not good enough  last season). All these players have sucked up budget which could have been much better spent elsewhere and added to the questionable summer signings have left us with the catastrophe we find ourselves in now. 

Thinking about it we also resigned Guzan after he had already been released admittedly before the current regime but another illustration of how pretty much every decision on playing staff has been wrong for years now 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

I still can't believe the club thought it was a good idea to go into the season with agbonlahor gestede and ayew as our strikers. 

That decision, along with terrible acquisitions in Central defence are the two decisions that have relegated us this season. There were never going to be enough goals in that forward line, and with an ageing CD and a player who has barely played in years as our central defensive partnership were shocking decisions which I think most on here could see a mile off.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

As well as questioning the quality of the summer signings you also have to look at the calamitous decisions of offering new contracts to existing players also presumably sanctioned by Fox etc. We could have ditched Hutton, Bacuna, Westwood, and Gabby and not made Sinclair permanent (I think he showed he was not good enough  last season). All these players have sucked up budget which could have been much better spent elsewhere and added to the questionable summer signings have left us with the catastrophe we find ourselves in now. 

Thinking about it we also resigned Guzan after he had already been released admittedly before the current regime but another illustration of how pretty much every decision on playing staff has been wrong for years now 

Wrong. Guzan was **** immense for a couple of years after resigning, he along with Benteke/delph kept us in the league. It's only been the last 12-18 months that guzan has started to decline. 

I agree with much of your post but you can't use resigning guzan as a stick to beat them with

• Like 1

Just looking at the accounts and it claims he was appointed on November 5th 2014.

I was sure it was around September but maybe you can exonerate him from the Lambert contract extension if that's true.

Edit: And from reading the accounts our commercial turnover was in 2015 19, 449 down from 22, 020 from previous year if I've intepreted it correctly.

Tom was supposed to increase this particularly as our staff cost numbers went up by about 30...

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Just looking at the accounts and it claims he was appointed on November 5th 2014.

I was sure it was around September but maybe you can exonerate him from the Lambert contract extension if that's true.

Edit: And from reading the accounts our commercial turnover was in 2015 19, 449 down from 22, 020 from previous year if I've intepreted it correctly.

Tom was supposed to increase this particularly as our staff cost numbers went up by about 30...

The KPIs as identified by the directors concern league position, cup runs, attendance and turnover. Bottom of the league, out of the cups early on, plummeting attendance and now a massive loss. No way can anybody associated with the last 18 months remain in their jobs. I expect Fox's sacking imminently.

• Like 1

Â