Tom Fox

Cracker1234

45 minutes ago, romavillan said:

This is good news really, but it depends totally now on who they are replaced with. If we want to keep Garde then we need to hire a director of football and a chief scout to support and help him build a team. If we don't want to keep Garde then we should be perhaps looking for a trio that have had success elsewhere (not necessarily in england) and bring the whole unit, director of football, chief scout and head coach/manager. Hollis is essentially Fox's replacement in that scenario.

It's ANOTHER massive opportunity to turn this around next year. However, Lerner has totally **** up all the better opportunities that came in better circumstances, so I'm not about to get excited.

That was how it worked with Lambert, Karsa, and the other chap from Norwich. I think Karsa was Director of Football. I think the logic behind the setup under Fox is that the Director of football's allegiance would always be to the club over the manager. I guess it would be to top a MON scenario happening again.

14 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I used to think this as well but how long was it before people saw through his bullshit? Pretty quickly wasn't it?

comes down to results though, if we were mid-table we would probably be saying he is doing a decent job

13 hours ago, sne said:

This seems particularly odd even for Lerner and Villa.

In what staff role is historical trivia a vital skill?

Perhaps they're trying to figure out why the fans are walking out on 74 minutes?

"Hey, guys, anyone know what the significance of 74 is to this Limey Soccer Club?"

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

The funny thing is that the two manager appointments weren't actually bad.

Sherwood was brought in to keep us up, which he did.

Garde was a welcome choice by many, but when he came the squad was low on confidence, and from the summer onwards it has been short of quality, which have all contributed to the relegation.

I agree, the only thing which with 20/20 hindsight he could have done better, would have been to fire Sherwood after the FA cup final (which personally I was hoping he would). Though it would have been very harsh by the club and we would really be slated. 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

These three have not done a good enough job to stick around. This decision could save us money if one or more of them are not replaced (although no doubt we will have to pay off their contracts on termination). It makes a change from making the manager take the flak for the "custodian" although that may still come at the end of the season if he himself does not choose to walk.

I would hope Remi would be asked who he wants to have help him with player recruitment and the quicker that change happens the better because what is the point of having two people who won't be at the club in the summer looking at players now? If Remi goes then the new boss should be asked who he would want in that post for example someone like Pearson is likely to want to bring in people he worked with on this if they can be prised away from a CL club. 

It looks to me that the 74th minute protest may well have led to this news coming out of the club so quickly.    

• Like 1

Just now, John said:

I would hope Remi would be asked who he wants to have help him with player recruitment and the quicker that change happens the better because what is the point of having two people who won't be at the club in the summer looking at players now? If Remi goes then the new boss should be asked who he would want in that post for example someone like Pearson is likely to want to bring in people he worked with on this if they can be prised away from a CL club. 

It looks to me that the 74th minute protest may well have led to this news coming out of the club so quickly.    

This for me, get remi to recommend some people. garde has  alot of contacts I think this would be beneficial

• Like 1

I think it would be a bit harsh on Reilly, if he was given an objective to find cheap players around Europe that we could hope to develop a team around and sell on for a profit, then I don't think he has done that badly.  The whole culture has been the problem and that's down to Lerner and Fox, who have made bad decision after bad decision and nothing will change until the club is sold.

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

The funny thing is that the two manager appointments weren't actually bad.

Sherwood was brought in to keep us up, which he did.

Garde was a welcome choice by many, but when he came the squad was low on confidence, and from the summer onwards it has been short of quality, which have all contributed to the relegation.

Well if you look at Sherwoods record he did a lot worse than other clubs around us and in reality our survival was more down to the return of Benteke than anything Sherwood did.

Garde was just completely the wrong appointment for where we were. Did Fox consult anybody with any kind of football knowledge or did he just blunder forward convinced he knew what he was doing? because if its the latter he should be ashamed of what he did. The transfer policy during the summer was also totally miscalculated as the players would only increase in value if they actually achieved their potential which is a bit difficult when you are playing for a club cut adrift at the foot of the table.

Fox should have appointed a manager who knew the league and was a bit of hard case instead of Garde.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually think we should go for Gerald Houllier as chief executive

No, we keep hiring people with no experience of being a CEO so you would hope our lesson has been learned by now

13 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it would be a bit harsh on Reilly, if he was given an objective to find cheap players around Europe that we could hope to develop a team around and sell on for a profit, then I don't think he has done that badly.  The whole culture has been the problem and that's down to Lerner and Fox, who have made bad decision after bad decision and nothing will change until the club is sold.

Paddy Riley has been a complete disaster, he was first appointed as a science coach so quite how he managed to blag his way to being involved with scouting and eventually to chief scout here via Liverpool is beyond me. He found Benteke for us but I swear that was more luck than judgement, the other signings we have made since he has been involved here have been bloody dreadful

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually think we should go for Gerald Houllier as chief executive

What does Gerard Houllier know about running a business? Let alone running a business with international reach, in the sports sector, whilst also being in a distressed state?

CEOs don't need to be the mythic 'football person'. Exceptionally few of them are. They need to be good businessmen.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

What does Gerard Houllier know about running a business? Let alone running a business with international reach, in the sports sector, whilst also being in a distressed state?

CEOs don't need to be the mythic 'football person'. Exceptionally few of them are. They need to be good businessmen.

Houllier would be a good DoF but he's never a CEO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Perhaps they're trying to figure out why the fans are walking out on 74 minutes?

"Hey, guys, anyone know what the significance of 74 is to this Limey Soccer Club?"

You do know Tom Fox isn't Australian, right?

52 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Wasnt Houllier head of the FFF for a while? He has experience of running things upstairs. i think he could add something as a member of the board in some capacity if not as CEO

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Leicester found Mahrez for under a mil yet we spent 20m on gana and veretout. Sackable offence alone for that

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wasnt Houllier head of the FFF for a while? He has experience of running things upstairs. i think he could add something as a member of the board in some capacity if not as CEO

He was the technical director of the French national team for a bit.

That isn't being a CEO.

He might work as a true DoF, if we want to go down that route. Unfortunately I imagine he's pretty well paid doing a similar, higher level less hands on thing for the entirety of Red Bull Football.

Edited by Chindie

We had CEOs with proven track records in both Richard FitzGerald and Bruce Langham fairly early into Lerner's reign.  They both arrived to a (seemingly deserved) fanfare, and both left of their own volition.  Make of that what you will.

Lerner out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it would be a bit harsh on Reilly, if he was given an objective to find cheap players around Europe that we could hope to develop a team around and sell on for a profit, then I don't think he has done that badly.  

I'd love to know what players we can sell on for a profit. I can't see anyone paying 8 mill for Veretout or Gana, 10 mill for Traore (possibly but not based on what he has done for us), and even though Ayew as done well at times he certainly hasn't done enough to suggest anyone will come in and give us more than 10 mill for him. Amavi we saw briefly and looked good going forwards but suspect defensively.

Some of the summer signings have potential but based on what they have done here so far I would say we would be looking at a big loss on our summer signings as a whole.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I think the club should have a DoF, and I think it should be someone who knows the club & community and can create a 'philosophy' (for lack of a better term) that pervades throughout. In other words, don't do what Citeh are attempting to do in replicating what worked for Barcelona by literally taking the brains and putting them in Manchester.

Â