Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

42 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Certain toys and little bits of crap sold for kids in mystery packets labelled as “Limited Edition” and “Ultra Rare”.

My two kids (aged 7 & 9) both love to have things bought them on a weekend or as a treat, some of which are roughly £1 each, some more expensive. Usually they’ll see stuff on the counter or if we venture into a shop with toys. However, what I’m seeing more and more is stuff being labelled as “collectible”, when it really isn’t.

SuperThings as an example. One little rubber figure in a packet and you search for gold, silver and Ultra Rare editions. Bits of tat really that my wife puts in the bin after about a month.

Finally, these V bucks and Ro bucks mainly purchased for my lad for his Nintendo Switch? Vast amounts of money spent on these things, which he uses in about 10 seconds flat buying “skins” or whatever he does with them?

I’m getting old I know but I’m sure we won’t see any of this stuff on the Antiques Roadshow in the future. Why can’t my kids just collect some Clarice Cliff ceramics or something? 

My daughter went through a phase of wanting the LOL dolls but thankfully she now sees what a massive waste of money they are.

Fifa packs are another, it’s legalised gambling aimed at children. If you indulge and buy some fifa coins it’s anger at getting crap players in the packs. “Just 1 more dad, I might get the ultra rare one” I say no more. Then it’s “i’ll use my birthday money to buy some”, no again, people didn’t give you money to waste on that. “Dad you’re a word removed” (he says silently in his head).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

My daughter went through a phase of wanting the LOL dolls but thankfully she now sees what a massive waste of money they are.

Fifa packs are another, it’s legalised gambling aimed at children. If you indulge and buy some fifa coins it’s anger at getting crap players in the packs. “Just 1 more dad, I might get the ultra rare one” I say no more. Then it’s “i’ll use my birthday money to buy some”, no again, people didn’t give you money to waste on that. “Dad you’re a word removed” (he says silently in his head).

My 15yr is in the same vain, spending money on "virtual" stuff and having nothing physical to show for it or sell further down the line. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

You can never predict which toys are going to be the antiques of the future - but you can pretty much guarantee it won't be the ones which are set up to be 'collectible'. Take those Steiff teddy bears we were talking about the other day. Every single one will stashed away and kept in mint condition - so in fifty years time, they'll all still exist and will never become 'rare'. Whereas the original Steiff bears from 100+ years ago were bought - and used - as toys. They got loved, and worn, and damaged, and loads of them ended up in the trash. So to find an original in decent nick nowadays is unusual. Ergo, high auction price. 

we went to a hotel once and they gave my kids a Steiff bear each at on Christmas day  , they most certainly wont' be worth anything the amount of use the kids got out of them .. mind you  that was mainly as being the heathen I am ,  I had no idea they were worth about £100 each at the time , had I known they would have been stashed away  and kept in mint condition  :)  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Never thought I'd see you post a wrestling gif!

Haha yes I did think that when I looked for a different "You're on the list" gif, it's clearly an episode of acting with steroids they repeat often as there were lots of different steroid actors doing the exact same thing :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

The words I could use to describe many of the posters who regularly 'contribute' in On Topic would probably get me a warning so I won't use them.

Reasoned? Balanced? Good listeners? Why would you get a warning for those words? :D

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Anthony said:

Fast speed

Cheap fares

Expensive cost

10£ 10$

That was a two for one job.

The first three were about shit grammar/knowing how to speak English, and it's people that should know better too, e.g. Ryanair and other professional copywriters.

The second bit with the pounds and dollars on the wrong side of the number grinds my gears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ghost peaked at number 30 , their  biggest hit , Victoria their second biggest at 35 was a Kinks cover version 

Yep , definitely warrants 8 minutes on a show about 80’s music , it would be like including Gustavo Bartelt in a greatest villa 11

To be honest, it probably does :D 

Â