Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Almost as bad as that word removed Peter Kay and his "what time you on 'til" bullshit I have to deal with every other bloody job

Been busy? 

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The way the word "woke" has been completely hijacked and perverted beyond all recognition. It's just a word, but when you see it in On Topic on a Villa forum you sort of despair.

You there with your stance against misogyny, racism and homophobia I will highlight that as a negative trait. Pricks. 

• Like 2

When you retreat to Off Topic to be safe for a bit and find it's being discussed in here too.

Please don't make me have to go in to North American Sports to get away from it all, I really don't want to be in there. 

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

When you retreat to Off Topic to be safe for a bit and find it's being discussed in here too.

Please don't make me have to go in to North American Sports to get away from it all, I really don't want to be in there. 

Apologies. Sad day.

Not particularly Off Topic either, but West Ham's success. We were in similar position at the end of the season before last, albeit they were massively under-performing and had a much better base to build from, and now look at them go - seems like last season wasn't a flash in the pan. Yes I'm envious, but that's not the main reason - it was great (that first season anyway) to see Leicester do well and Brighton this season for example. Can't stand West Ham though - their owners, the stadium we're all paying for (surely gate receipts should go towards paying the rent by the way?), the media love-in of yet another London club, sickening.

• Like 1

Certain toys and little bits of crap sold for kids in mystery packets labelled as “Limited Edition” and “Ultra Rare”.

My two kids (aged 7 & 9) both love to have things bought them on a weekend or as a treat, some of which are roughly £1 each, some more expensive. Usually they’ll see stuff on the counter or if we venture into a shop with toys. However, what I’m seeing more and more is stuff being labelled as “collectible”, when it really isn’t.

SuperThings as an example. One little rubber figure in a packet and you search for gold, silver and Ultra Rare editions. Bits of tat really that my wife puts in the bin after about a month.

Finally, these V bucks and Ro bucks mainly purchased for my lad for his Nintendo Switch? Vast amounts of money spent on these things, which he uses in about 10 seconds flat buying “skins” or whatever he does with them?

I’m getting old I know but I’m sure we won’t see any of this stuff on the Antiques Roadshow in the future. Why can’t my kids just collect some Clarice Cliff ceramics or something? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Certain toys and little bits of crap sold for kids in mystery packets labelled as “Limited Edition” and “Ultra Rare”.

My two kids (aged 7 & 9) both love to have things bought them on a weekend or as a treat, some of which are roughly £1 each, some more expensive. Usually they’ll see stuff on the counter or if we venture into a shop with toys. However, what I’m seeing more and more is stuff being labelled as “collectible”, when it really isn’t.

SuperThings as an example. One little rubber figure in a packet and you search for gold, silver and Ultra Rare editions. Bits of tat really that my wife puts in the bin after about a month.

Finally, these V bucks and Ro bucks mainly purchased for my lad for his Nintendo Switch? Vast amounts of money spent on these things, which he uses in about 10 seconds flat buying “skins” or whatever he does with them?

I’m getting old I know but I’m sure we won’t see any of this stuff on the Antiques Roadshow in the future. Why can’t my kids just collect some Clarice Cliff ceramics or something? 

You can never predict which toys are going to be the antiques of the future - but you can pretty much guarantee it won't be the ones which are set up to be 'collectible'. Take those Steiff teddy bears we were talking about the other day. Every single one will be stashed away and kept in mint condition - so in fifty years time, they'll all still exist and will never become 'rare'. Whereas the original Steiff bears from 100+ years ago were bought - and used - as toys. They got loved, and worn, and damaged, and loads of them ended up in the trash. So to find an original in decent nick nowadays is unusual. Ergo, high auction price. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

Â