Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Got to admit, I've turned in to a proper coffee rocket polisher since working from home over the last year. I used to pop in to Costa with people from work 2 or 3 times a week, but I've started getting deliveries of specialty coffee, wholebean for me to grind fresh each day, and it's just a delight. I've been playing around with different brew methods, from french press, to moka pots and V60s, and now I really enjoy getting a couple of different batches of coffee every fortnight.

I went to the office last week, so went in to Costa and just ordered an Americano. It went down the sink. It's like having a Fosters after only drinking quality beer from microbreweries.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Got to admit, I've turned in to a proper coffee rocket polisher since working from home over the last year. .

qvF5j3M.png

• Haha 4

On 21/05/2021 at 19:49, Davkaus said:

Got to admit, I've turned in to a proper coffee rocket polisher since working from home over the last year. I used to pop in to Costa with people from work 2 or 3 times a week, but I've started getting deliveries of specialty coffee, wholebean for me to grind fresh each day, and it's just a delight. I've been playing around with different brew methods, from french press, to moka pots and V60s, and now I really enjoy getting a couple of different batches of coffee every fortnight.

I went to the office last week, so went in to Costa and just ordered an Americano. It went down the sink. It's like having a Fosters after only drinking quality beer from microbreweries.

For any other fellow VT coffee rocket polishers, you can get  fiver off (and buy me a coffee) using this link at pactcoffee.com.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

What do you make of these coffee in a bag hybrids, the Taylors 4 rich Italian and the 6 lava are lovely (tin hat at the ready)  

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

What do you make of these coffee in a bag hybrids, the Taylors 4 rich Italian and the 6 lava are lovely (tin hat at the ready)  

Put the tin hat away, as a coffee nerd any actual whole bean or ground bean is significantly better than a pod machine, instant or burnt chain coffee. Even supermarket ground coffee as opposed to Taylor’s is decent, Co-op’s 4 is a particularly nice sip.

I do get my coffee single origin delivered through the post like Davkaus though.

Edited by a m ole

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s all about the Aeropress. It’s a cheapish miracle. 

I come back to the Aeropress time and time again. For a bit of cheap plastic, it doesn't half make a good coffee. So bloody easy as well, about 3 minutes from entering the kitchen to having a fantastic mug of coffee.

My current main plaything is the Clever dripper, though, mostly just because it can make coffee for two with less faff than the Aeropress.

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Never tried them tbh, but I have used Taylor's ground coffee, and Taylor's beans. I think you're going to be getting a much more authentic coffee than an instant, and from a brief skim of what these coffee in a bag things are, I reckon you'll get some a bit french-pressy, but without the hassle of the cleanup. Probably similar, but less flexible, than the Taylor's ground coffee, but a step down from their beans, but with less effort. 

The reality with any coffee bought in a supermarket is it's months old and stale by the time it reaches you. Beans will be better than ground, but they'll still be stale. Honestly though, if you're using supermarket beans, you're drinking better coffee than 90% of the population. And if you're drinking pre-ground supermarket coffee, and you enjoy it, well great. Just know that if you want something more delicious, you have a lot of options.

I drank Taylor's ground coffee for years made in a french press, and it was fine, and a huge step up from instant. I wouldn't drink it these days, but most people would laugh at spending as much time and money as I do on coffee. It's a genuine hobby for me now, and I accept that might sound a bit sad to most people.

If I wanted great coffee at home, with minimal fuss, I'd be buying small-ish quantities of good coffee ground to order from a local coffee shop, maybe a week's supply at most, and pairing it up with a french press or aeropress.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, limpid said:

For any other fellow VT coffee rocket polishers, you can get  fiver off (and buy me a coffee) using code "VT" at pactcoffee.com.

I was actually just looking at these last night! I use Stewarts Coffees at the moment, who have a very interesting, frequently changing lineup, currently working my way through my first ever bag of unwashed coffee, which has blown my mind as to how much variety is really out there.

But I get through it too quickly, so need a second lot to tide me over in between their deliveries, so I'll give Pact a go in a few days when I'm ready for another batch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was actually just looking at these last night! I use Stewarts Coffees at the moment, who have a very interesting, frequently changing lineup, currently working my way through my first ever bag of unwashed coffee, which has blown my mind as to how much variety is really out there.

But I get through it too quickly, so need a second lot to tide me over in between their deliveries, so I'll give Pact a go in a few days when I'm ready for another batch.

I buy 160 a time online from AOS online for £40 delivered. First thing I make a metal thermos full each and repeat three times a day, use 2 bags per flask, really keeps it warm and never without one to hand, Big statement this is because i used to hate  coffee and only ever drank tea

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

All this talk of coffee. I have travelled the globe far and wide and sorry, the UK is not a coffee nation. 

:trollface:

I don;t care. I'm still a coffee rocket polisher :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

On 21/05/2021 at 16:29, It's Your Round said:

I’m not ashamed to admit I really like Costa. I usually have a coconut hazelnut latte with two extra coffee shots, and a piece of chocolate tiffin (maybe a cheese and caramelised red onion toastie if I’m being greedy). 

Ive never been to Costa (or Starbucks) in my life, but that sounds really nice. Am I missing out?

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

Ive never been to Costa (or Starbucks) in my life, but that sounds really nice. Am I missing out?

If you like completely tasteless coffee (Costa) or weird cloying coffee (Starbucks) then you definitely are

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

I’m one of the millions and millions who like Costa. Naturally VT doesn’t like it though.  

• Like 4

I think my mom has shares in the place, she'll say that it's just a thing her and her fella do 3 or 4 times a week to get out of the house 

Don't drink coffee so it's wasted on me, their black forest hot chocolate as Xmas is the absolute bollocks though, unfortunately their iced chai latte is poor (Starbucks do a great one) 

I'm also not paying for a cup of tea anywhere 

Edited by villa4europe

On 21/05/2021 at 20:49, Davkaus said:

Fair play. I don’t think I could put the effort into being a craft beer rocket polisher and an anything else rocket polisher as well!

Besides I prefer tea, and Yorkshire Gold is the tits.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Fair play. I don’t think I could put the effort into being a craft beer rocket polisher and an anything else rocket polisher as well!

Paging Dr @Xela.......(not for the rocket polisher bit !)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Yorkshire Gold, two bags, stewed then strained and a splash of milk. The breakfast drink of gods. Gets all the furriness out of your throat caused by spirits, beer and spicy tings. Almost definitely induces a satisfying movement as well

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â