Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

While we're on the subject, our internet went down for a whole evening a couple of weeks ago (BT, I think it was on the news)

Some of her suggestions for what to do without internet:

Watch Netflix
Watch Amazon Prime
Shop for house stuff online
Have a Zoom call with her family
Download a box set from Sky Q
Log on to her work laptop and clear some emails

She's very clever, honestly.

What, knitting you some socks wasn't on her list?

• Like 1

Just tried to watch the Cold War Steve programme on SkyArts.

**** me, it’s reminded me why I don’t watch much telly. Adverts, adverts, adverts to the point where I thought maybe there was a technical problem with the programme. From when I thought that’s a lot of adverts I made a note of the time, 3 minutes of adverts from when I checked.

Programme starts, 10 minutes exactly of programme, then adverts, adverts, adverts.

How the **** do people watch that channel. I’ve given up on it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Just tried to watch the Cold War Steve programme on SkyArts.

**** me, it’s reminded me why I don’t watch much telly. Adverts, adverts, adverts to the point where I thought maybe there was a technical problem with the programme. From when I thought that’s a lot of adverts I made a note of the time, 3 minutes of adverts from when I checked.

Programme starts, 10 minutes exactly of programme, then adverts, adverts, adverts.

How the **** do people watch that channel. I’ve given up on it.

I record everything to watch when I want and fast forward through the adverts. Cannot remember the last time I watched a tv programme ‘live’. 

• Like 3

I had to do an anonymous survey on my boss, 30 questions ranking him on a scale of 1 to 10

My boss is a really nice guy, friendly, done a lot for me since I moved out here

On the other hand he's also absolutely **** terrible at his job, I think he kind of made a power play to get promoted to a position that he's not qualified to do and he struggles with, he's working 60 hour weeks killing himself with stress, can't delegate anything, all whilst having some pretty poor management skills and non existent deadline management, my job is shit because of it

Still it feels dirty and horrible when you're giving a guy 2s and 3s out of 10

I'm sure there are other people on my team who feel the same, he's had rows resulting in people storming out of meetings in the last couple of months and formal complaints made but they might not be as harsh as me 

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I had to do an anonymous survey on my boss, 30 questions ranking him on a scale of 1 to 10

My boss is a really nice guy, friendly, done a lot for me since I moved out here

On the other hand he's also absolutely **** terrible at his job, I think he kind of made a power play to get promoted to a position that he's not qualified to do and he struggles with, he's working 60 hour weeks killing himself with stress, can't delegate anything, all whilst having some pretty poor management skills and non existent deadline management, my job is shit because of it

Still it feels dirty and horrible when you're giving a guy 2s and 3s out of 10

I'm sure there are other people on my team who feel the same, he's had rows resulting in people storming out of meetings in the last couple of months and formal complaints made but they might not be as harsh as me 

Had the same experience a couple of months ago. I absolutely adore my boss. She’s smart, kind, supportive and a really good laugh but she’s also haphazard, disorganised and forgetful. I had to answer 70 questions about her and about halfway through answering the questions, I got the fear that her boss (our brand new CEO) was going to see these results and presume she was bad at her job (which isn’t the case). The questions just didn’t give me the opportunity to score her strong points so I just ended up scoring everything top-end for the last 20 or so questions. 

Our brand new CEO probably now just thinks I’m bipolar. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Had the same experience a couple of months ago. I absolutely adore my boss. She’s smart, kind, supportive and a really good laugh but she’s also haphazard, disorganised and forgetful. I had to answer 70 questions about her and about halfway through answering the questions, I got the fear that her boss (our brand new CEO) was going to see these results and presume she was bad at her job (which isn’t the case). The questions just didn’t give me the opportunity to score her strong points so I just ended up scoring everything top-end for the last 20 or so questions. 

yeah thats the same, very little on friendliness, demeanor and approach-ability, lots on delegation and time management, felt like there were far more questions on his weaknesses

they did the company in general a few months back and the average score for "do you think people are qualified to do their job?" scored something like 4.2 / 10 so they know its a problem and i marked that one really low too, maybe an englishman abroad problem, life here is way less stress but at the same time that was because seemingly everyone's role was way more to do so my opinion on who should be doing what is skewed

3 hours ago, choffer said:

I had two consecutive bosses that encapsulated this dilemma. The first one was a thoroughly nice, affable guy, came down the pub with us, always stood his round, etc. But utterly inept at his job. His successor was the diametric opposite - got things done, made the right decisions, etc., but was a total clearing in the woods of a bloke, everybody hated him. 

Edited by mjmooney

Yeah, i had a boss who, in his 15 yrs in our department, had p1ssed off pretty much everyone, even those not in his team.

Anyway, he sent out one of those 360° assessments to all our team and we didn't hold back. He was totally shocked which we found it hard to believe that even he didn't think he was a word removed.....i mean, he took great pleasure in cancelling overtime especially up to xmas. He'd go playing golf on his own (no mates) and was the sort to hold his leaving do in a phone box he was that despised.

I once laughingly took the mick out of his liking for the lighthouse family. He didn't talk to me for 6 weeks. What a total prat.

*heavy sigh of existential despair*

cursedtriumvirate.jpg

EDIT:

DbyhepwWkAEc-hl.jpg?resize=592,350&ssl=1

"Golgrafinchan B-Ark to be captained and vice-captained by these three. Can also ask Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage. Could save money by not actually sending promised TV crew to launch."

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I hadn't heard about the Jordan Peterson thing, so staff at a publisher's cried and complained about their decision to print his book?  That's insane.  I've not heard of the other two, I'm probably lucky not to be on Twitter or read newspapers any more.

I had actually managed to avoid learning what the Peterson thing was about, have only a hazy sense of what Allison Pearson has done today, and am sadly fully aware of what Suzanne Moore is up to, so I guess a batting average of about .500 there.

Of course, that Twitter thinks I would want to read about them is thoroughly damning of my own use of the site. It frankly makes me want to throw all my worldly possessions off a ciff top and return to living in the trees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I hadn't heard about the Jordan Peterson thing, so staff at a publisher's cried and complained about their decision to print his book?  That's insane.  I've not heard of the other two, I'm probably lucky not to be on Twitter or read newspapers any more.

I've only heard of Peterson as well and don't really know much about him. 

My view, if the staff don't like it, then perhaps get a job a petting zoo instead. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I had actually managed to avoid learning what the Peterson thing was about, have only a hazy sense of what Allison Pearson has done today, and am sadly fully aware of what Suzanne Moore is up to, so I guess a batting average of about .500 there.

Of course, that Twitter thinks I would want to read about them is thoroughly damning of my own use of the site. It frankly makes me want to throw all my worldly possessions off a ciff top and return to living in the trees.

If you do can I have your underwear 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I've only heard of Peterson as well and don't really know much about him. 

My view, if the staff don't like it, then perhaps get a job a petting zoo instead. 

They may well do that. If you don't agree with how your employer is directing your labour, you of course have the right to withhold it and go elsewhere. I don't see anything wrong with the intermediate step of "I strongly disagree with this business decision, if you insist on continuing, I'm off" though. It's something I've been forced to do a couple of times in my career, once successfully, the other time less so.

• Like 1

Â