Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Workmen and their ability to drink tea constantly coupled with ridiculous sugar intake. Having the bathroom done and every time I bump into him or his mate its always 'is the kettle on' does the same with the Mrs, 'argh, the lady of the house just putting the kettle on are we?' must get through a dozen or so cups a day each and he has three sugars and his mate has four ffs. I may deduct 25 quid of his bill for sundries  

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Workmen and their ability to drink tea constantly coupled with ridiculous sugar intake. Having the bathroom done and every time I bump into him or his mate its always 'is the kettle on' does the same with the Mrs, 'argh, the lady of the house just putting the kettle on are we?' must get through a dozen or so cups a day each and he has three sugars and his mate has four ffs. I may deduct 25 quid of his bill for sundries  

I once got that pissed off at my site manager's spending on a £15m project that i sat and worked out how much he'd spent on sundries (part of the argument was based on me not letting him buy a coffee machine and dishwasher for the site) tea, coffee, bog roll, proper milk rather than UHT and then he kept trying to find any excuse to order in bacon sandwiches through expenses

from memory it was over £50k for a year, was convinced he was up to no good but i couldn't prove it, i'd then get a bollocking from my manager in monthly meetings because we were over budget, its the worst part of the job, what a site manager "needs" to do the job

but yeah the industry is powered by tea, any kind of sit down started with a drink, i used to call it quits when i got to around 8 cups

Just now, bickster said:

C'mon, even I'd employ a human rights lawyer over that one you inhumane beast

nope, the prelims budget is based on UHT which i expect to be bought in bulk at the start of the project and stored in a warm place, most site managers buy their own milk, zip taps replaced kettles too so you instantly have around 50 cups of tea / coffee on demand, brilliant things, that £15m project the core of the team in the cabin was 7 of us, in a 9 hour day id guess we'd go through circa 50 cups of tea, some of the old boys its non stop

one trend i did see in my last few years in the UK was the use of water coolers on site, cost a fortune, that never used to be a thing, then you've got guys using the water out of the water cooler to make tea with cos "it tastes better"

Are you a tradesman completely unaffected by Covid lockdowns? Swimming in so much cash that even in these uncertain times, you're not that keen to take on work? Is doing your job a bit of a faff? 

Then why not provide a quote, schedule a date for the work, then not turn up and ignore your phone.

The Thumbs Up Sign: New Symbol of White Supremacy | by Think | Medium

• Like 2

Unsure if there are any software testers in here but wrangling users for UAT is **** soul destroying. They don’t care, they want to do their day job, they don’t give a **** about deadlines. I hate it. I hate sending the email just checking in on how you are doing. I know how they are **** doing as no data has been created. I would abolish it. I have completed SIT now **** you. Release it to Production. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Unsure if there are any software testers in here but wrangling users for UAT is **** soul destroying. They don’t care, they want to do their day job, they don’t give a **** about deadlines. I hate it. I hate sending the email just checking in on how you are doing. I know how they are **** doing as no data has been created. I would abolish it. I have completed SIT now **** you. Release it to Production. 

Not anymore, thankfully, but yeah, been there. 

• Like 1

I work as a QA lead for a software house writing systems for the NHS. One of the trusts we sold to insisted on being "development partners", and having software releases every 6 weeks to see our progress so that they can give early feedback and shape it to their requirements, 2 years before the expected go live date. It sounds great. Hell, that's what agile should be about, small deliverable iterations, gathering feedback and improving it over time.

Every single time, I waste my time writing release notes and then they get given a demo so they can begin preparing their tests. Every single time they complain that there's no completed user journey so they can't possibly test anything yet. They don't want to see it at such an early stage. But the contract says we will release every 6 weeks for their testing, so that's what we've done for the last year, having the same conversations again and again. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Have to say some package delivery companies like DHL and UPS drives me **** livid. 

1) How they have my personal details, yet deliver the package to some carrot salesman 10 miles from me. 

2) You order a big bloody thing of a furniture. You ask for one thing and that's for them to call you 30 min in advance so you can get home on time. You get the call "I'm here now".

3) Also have experienced on numerous occations that they send me a text where it says "we tried to deliver it, but you were not home. You may pick up your order at XXXXX". Then I've been standing in the window watching the car driving by having no idea where they are going. All complete bullshit. Made up. Fabricated. Lies. 

The worst part is that I pay for that delivery service. I swear it gives me chest pains. 

How they are still all in business is beyond me. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

On 28/11/2020 at 15:37, mjmooney said:

When did you last have an injection? 

They always say 'sharp scratch' as the pre-stab warning these days. Must be NHS policy or something. 

Yep, same when giving blood

"You might feel a sharp scratch"

See also "May feel a tingling sensation". This is code for "This is going to **** sting like hell but we can't say that otherwise nobody would buy this product"

Friends who spend the whole weekend messaging you and sending stupid voice memos when you’ve said you are spending time alone, then they get hurt by my silence and spend today trying to guilt trip me, including the line “I think you need to see somebody about counselling because I don’t know who you are anymore”

😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Friends who spend the whole weekend messaging you and sending stupid voice memos when you’ve said you are spending time alone, then they get hurt by my silence and spend today trying to guilt trip me, including the line “I think you need to see somebody about counselling because I don’t know who you are anymore”

😂

I've fallen out with people before as i'm not one to instantly respond to messages on my phone, especially if they don't have a specific purpose/question. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've fallen out with people before as i'm not one to instantly respond to messages on my phone, especially if they don't have a specific purpose/question. 

Especially now I hardly leave the house, I have a tendency to just put my phone down and not check it for days at a time. It's rude, apparently. 

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I've enforced a strict 4 stage software rollout, UAT get it, then a larger focus group and then the rest in 2 groups.  They have no choice it happens.  We do have a well documented back out process though.  Works so well the internal dev team are now using a similar approach to the different instances of their apps.  Tough shit users it's happening.

Back on topic - fecking users and having to tell them Yes I do work in IT and yes I can probably resolve your issue.  But please dont teams/email me directly as there is a process and plenty of people can sort that issue before I hear about it.

• Like 1

Â