Jed Steer

samjp26

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Now starting his 8th season with us

31 games played 

That seems to be a common situation for a lot of keepers. Look at Martinez, for example.

It's there a more competitive position in football? It's the one position where versatility is irrelevant, and there's usually several people vying for one single spot.

• Like 1

Much better keeper than he is given credit for.  Shame he got injured last season as I think he could have proven himself in the PL.

I can see him as our no. 2 moving forward and we may look to sell Heaton.  Heaton is a top keeper but he is 34 and keeps getting big injuries and will not want, at this stage of his career, to be a no. 2, as he showed when he left Burnley for us.  Maybe Pope will get a top 6 move and Heaton may go back?

8 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

That seems to be a common situation for a lot of keepers. Look at Martinez, for example.

It's there a more competitive position in football? It's the one position where versatility is irrelevant, and there's usually several people vying for one single spot.

Its a tough one... usually its an older keeper happy to be third choice - Scott Carson, Mark Schwarzer and now Joe Hart. If I was a young keeper i'd have to balance earning a bigger salary at a top club and not playing versus playing regularly at a lower level. 

Stuart Taylor was the ultimate reserve GK! 

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Much better keeper than he is given credit for.  Shame he got injured last season as I think he could have proven himself in the PL.

I can see him as our no. 2 moving forward and we may look to sell Heaton.  Heaton is a top keeper but he is 34 and keeps getting big injuries and will not want, at this stage of his career, to be a no. 2, as he showed when he left Burnley for us.  Maybe Pope will get a top 6 move and Heaton may go back?

Might seem cruel but it makes sense to try and get a decent fee for Heaton while we can, maybe we’ll sell in Jan and he’ll want to go.

Great backup/competition though but, as you said, he is ageing and very injury prone.

Yeah, if Pope leaves they may possibly want him back...

Edited by Jas10

12 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Neither Steer or Nyland are good enough to be our Number 2 to be honest. Harsh but true.

I imagine the plan is to have Martinez and heaton competing for the gloves and whoever doesn't get them is number 2.

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Because it's only entertainment for villa fans.

Not at all. It was entertainment for everyone except Albion supporters. Several non-Villa fans I know saw it and loved it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â