Jed Steer

samjp26

On 20/08/2020 at 02:18, Sulberto21 said:

This is why I was furious we let Gollini go. I know there was some desire from him to return to Italy but we could have been more decisive in telling him to stick with it and he'll be our number 1 for years. I believe had we stuck by him he would have got us an extra 15 points in the championship in his second season and got us automatic promotion. 

Then that dream of a literal Rollercoaster ride and theme park would have come true.

But on a serious note if he was still here I think he would be worth 10 points a season in the premier League alone. 

Good keepers are so important. Our next keeper needs to have the all round game. I'd rather wait and go for a really good keeper who has excellent distribution. Germany and Brazil seem to have the best sweeper keepers atm.

He wanted an Italian goalie coach but Brucey only hires his mates.

• Like 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

He wanted an Italian goalie coach but Brucey only hires his mates.

I think that was what came out publicly but it was pretty clear he had a very bad time here, how much of that is down to Bruce I don't know but it was his responsibility ultimately. We have a very bad track record in handling foreign players. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, villadude said:

After watching him in the Manure friendly, I have no idea why we're spunking all that cash on a new keeper??

Jed was brilliant, made some cracking saves and looked really confident, surely he's good enough until Heaton's fit?

I rate him a lot but he seems to be picking up injuries quite often. 

Personally I always wondered why we went a brought all these keepers when we already had a keepers who took us up and has very good reaction time and is a very good shot stopper.

1 hour ago, villadude said:

After watching him in the Manure friendly, I have no idea why we're spunking all that cash on a new keeper??

Jed was brilliant, made some cracking saves and looked really confident, surely he's good enough until Heaton's fit?

He's always been very solid for us when called upon. I can't really think of much bad at all. 

I'd play him over Nyland for instance any day, but I've saying that for ages. Ultimately I think the signing of Martinez (assuming it goes through), just shows that the staff at the club don't think Heaton will be 100% again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He's always been very solid for us when called upon. I can't really think of much bad at all. 

I'd play him over Nyland for instance any day, but I've saying that for ages. Ultimately I think the signing of Martinez (assuming it goes through), just shows that the staff at the club don't think Heaton will be 100% again. 

I agree with you, and I think Smithy does too, but we really had no choice.

When Tom got injured, Jed was called up, but got injured in the first 10 minutes. Both our competent keepers were out, and we had no choice but to play Nyland until we could borrow Reina.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

In AVTV interview where Heaton was talking about being great to be back out doing light work and saying he hoped to be back after October internationals, I thought I detected look in his face and his voice didn't sound convinced at all

5 hours ago, AJ said:

I agree with you, and I think Smithy does too, but we really had no choice.

When Tom got injured, Jed was called up, but got injured in the first 10 minutes. Both our competent keepers were out, and we had no choice but to play Nyland until we could borrow Reina.

Here’s a question (despite its lack of relevance 😆) but who is actually the better GK: Kalinic or Nyland?

I can’t really form an opinion, barely seen Kalinic play. But there must be a reason, beyond ability, as to why he wasn’t really given a run or is so out of favour.

Want both of them gone anyway but I would be surprised if Kalinic was as/more jittery or accident prone as Nyland...

A GK department of Martinez, Heaton & Steer would be great. We need to shift the deadwood & cast offs ASAP.

On the other hand, if Martinez was unavailable for a game or two & both Heaton and Steer were injured at the time, who would fill in? 

Edited by Jas10

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He had some very ropey moments in the promotion run. In the play off games there was a couple occasions where he gifted the ball straight to the Albion strikers. Mings cleared one off the line.

Hes a good shot stopper, but like Nyland prone to clangers. I don’t think he installs confidence and he makes the defence wary.

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Here’s a question (despite its lack of relevance 😆) but who is actually the better GK: Kalinic or Nyland?

I can’t really form an opinion, barely seen Kalinic play. But there must be a reason, beyond ability, as to why he wasn’t really given a run or is so out of favour.

Want both of them gone anyway but I would be surprised if Kalinic was as/more jittery or accident prone as Nyland...

A GK department of Martinez, Heaton & Steer would be great. We need to shift the deadwood & cast offs ASAP.

On the other hand, if Martinez was unavailable for a game or two & both Heaton and Steer were injured at the time, who would fill in?

I am pretty much the same. I haven't seen much of Kalinic, so I cant really judge him. Nyland, however, his goalkeeping was just pure comedy relief.

The manager and coaching staff see the players more frequently, and understand them better than any of us could hope to, so they chose Nyland over Kalinic, then eventually Reina. This probably means that they don't think much of Kalinic at all.

As for your question I have in bold, we pretty much were in that position last season with both Heaton and Steer out. Reina did OK, but not really great. If we had all three unavailable, I would probably like to see us give one of the kids a shot. If he doesn't cut it, it would be the same result as choosing Nyland. Or, he rises to the occasion, wants to make the most of his chance, and we have a proper future PL regular in our midst.

On 13/09/2020 at 07:53, villadude said:

Both Heaton and Steer have sketchy injury histories. We can't rely on the 2 of them. Otherwise we will be left in a situation like last season. 

• Like 1

Considering how much football he has missed and how many injuries he has I think it is amazing how good he actually is. His reflexes are still all there. I have seen him have some incredible games (promo run in but just generally in pre season games he has always stood out to me)

If it weren't for injuries I think he could have been England cap material. 

• Like 1

Â