Jed Steer

samjp26

16 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Good grief what a save. Unreal.

Reminded me of Guzan v QPR from Samba header.

Me too.

Nowhere near as good though if I'm being honest. That Guzan save is one of the best saves I've ever seen.

It's a cliche thing to say, but if De Gea had made a save like that then everyone would still be talking about it

• Like 3

The save aside he picked out an unreal pass late on into the channel, probably for Green by that point in the game. His distribution remains the best thing about him and severely underrated. I think fans are so well trained to think keepers just 'punt and hope' that they don't recognise a class footballer who also happens to be allowed to use his hands when they see one.

I feel like I have been waiting my whole life to see a Villa keeper with quality distribution. Now we've found one, I hope he continues to take his chance. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The save aside he picked out an unreal pass late on into the channel, probably for Green by that point in the game. His distribution remains the best thing about him and severely underrated. I think fans are so well trained to think keepers just 'punt and hope' that they don't recognise a class footballer who also happens to be allowed to use his hands when they see one.

I feel like I have been waiting my whole life to see a Villa keeper with quality distribution. Now we've found one, I hope he continues to take his chance. 

Nyland's distribution is also very good, but he's not very good at that goalkeeping stuff so it's all a bit wasted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Me too.

Nowhere near as good though if I'm being honest. That Guzan save is one of the best saves I've ever seen.

It's a cliche thing to say, but if De Gea had made a save like that then everyone would still be talking about it

Still think that Samba header is going in now if I see it. 

t28u.gif

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Still think that Samba header is going in now if I see it. 

t28u.gif

It's the angle from the front that makes it look unbelievable. Unfortunately finding decent clips of it seems very difficult.

On 09/08/2017 at 23:44, Junxs said:

Seen him in the preseason friendlies and tonight, he is absolute class. Made more excellent saves in 3 or 4 games in the last month or so than Johnstone has made in his Villa career which stands at 0 (Zero)

I'm at a complete loss how Johnstone is considered to be better than Steer by Bruce.

^ Thats from the start of last season.

I've always rated him and am delighted he is now proving himself. Sometimes players just need a chance or a run in the side

• Like 1

Having seen all our keepers play regularly now he looks to be the most confident, the best with his feet, he has a good relationship with the defence, probably the best distribution and capable of pulling off great saves. Think his major negative is just that he’s (relatively) small which makes getting across the goal and dealing with high crosses harder.

Kalinic is massive but always made me a bit nervous and looked like he had quite slow reactions in general albeit playing behind side not defending very well.

Nyland looked like a fish out of water, he could be an ok keeper but signs weren’t great.

pretty sure Steer is the best modern keeper at the club and I’m happy with him as our number 1 for now.

31 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Having seen all our keepers play regularly now he looks to be the most confident, the best with his feet, he has a good relationship with the defence, probably the best distribution and capable of pulling off great saves. Think his major negative is just that he’s (relatively) small which makes getting across the goal and dealing with high crosses harder.

Kalinic is massive but always made me a bit nervous and looked like he had quite slow reactions in general albeit playing behind side not defending very well.

Nyland looked like a fish out of water, he could be an ok keeper but signs weren’t great.

pretty sure Steer is the best modern keeper at the club and I’m happy with him as our number 1 for now.

Agreed.

Even the brilliant save he made the other day, probably only hit the bar because he is shorter.

Was thinking I wish we could combine his positive attributes with Kalinics.

Size seems his only weakness on current form.

Â