Jed Steer

samjp26

10 hours ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Love this, he seems so down to earth, but the best bit is when he says in reference to the Wembley final.

"Hopefully I get the nod"

Think the team and fans will be in uproar if he doesn't!!!

Very funny and humble interview.

"...well... could have saved three I suppose"

• Like 1

It seems Scotland are interested in getting him to switch allegiance.

Scotland are considering approaching Aston Villa goalkeeper Jed Steer to see whether he will switch his allegiance.

The 26-year-old who has been a star performer for Dean Smith this season saved two penalties in Villa’s play-off semi-final win over West Bromwich Albion .

And that has alerted the SFA who are checking out the 26-year-old’s situation following his rich vein of form.

Steer who has been capped by England from Under-16s to Under-19s, is also eligible to play for Scotland — and Hampden chiefs are ready to contact him, report The Sun .

Allan McGregor retired from international duty recently so Celtic’s Scott Bain was handed the starting jersey om the latest round of internationals.

The in-form stopper has seen his claret and blue career finally reach lift-off this season despite five previous years of struggle.

He’s the second-longest serving player at the club and was set to leave this summer before Villa recalled him from a loan spell at Charlton and extended his deal by another year.

16 hours ago, PaulC said:

Probably not.  He gets all the credit for making those two penalty saves but I don't think he had a good match. Seemed a bit shaky to me. 

I thought he was good enough, he had a lot to do with the ball at his feet and yes did get one or two wrong but that's going to happen but we need him to keep doing it as it's a big part of our style of play.  The important thing is that he had those shaky moments but then went on to have a stormer in the shootout which shows great character.  Nonetheless as Stevo says I think Kalinic will get his way back in eventually.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I thought he was good enough, he had a lot to do with the ball at his feet and yes did get one or two wrong but that's going to happen but we need him to keep doing it as it's a big part of our style of play.  The important thing is that he had those shaky moments but then went on to have a stormer in the shootout which shows great character.  Nonetheless as Stevo says I think Kalinic will get his way back in eventually.

He got massively bailed out by Mings to be fair. That would have probably lost us the tie.

• Like 2

I like him. Would definitely want him to stay for a while longer. May not be a number 1 but a good number 2 and seems a really likeable guy. 

Glad he is having his moment in the sun after 5 years or so here!

• Like 2

I’ve got so much admiration for this lad. Nyland and Bunn are probably 2 of the worse keepers I’ve ever seen at the club so to get loaned out when that’s the competition would be enough to knock anyone’s confidence.  The way he has come in to the team and made the position his own shows great character. 

He will probably not be number 1 next season but boy has he done himself and the club proud.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far.

Yes he’s ridden his luck on a couple of occasions, but generally I feel so much more confident with him between the posts, and yes I’d include Kalinic in that.  How much if that is due to the upturn in form of a defence - I don’t know, and frankly I don’t care.  

His distribution on the whole is impeccable - watching the West Brom game reminded me how poor Johnstone was at this, and it’s not sour grapes when I say I’m glad we didn't get him on a permanent transfer.  Kick after kick went straight out of play for a throw in, putting pressure right back on them.

Steer has pulled off penalty saves, pulled out a worldy in the first leg, has on the whole been passing like Pirlo.

I don’t know what he needs to do to get some credit even from his own fans.

For me, he’s earned himself a clanger or two.

Just so long it isn’t at Wembley.

can someone please do a gif of him staring at Holgate and then saving the penalty.  Had me in stitches.

• Like 4

I like Steer but he did have a very nervy period of the game against the Baggies and, at Wembley, he needs to make sure he stays focused. 

Those penalty saves were actual saves though - not misses - and showed that he had that kind of ability in him, which is good to see. I also like the way he stared Holgate out as they walked up to the goal together lol.

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve got so much admiration for this lad. Nyland and Bunn are probably 2 of the worse keepers I’ve ever seen at the club so to get loaned out when that’s the competition would be enough to knock anyone’s confidence.  The way he has come in to the team and made the position his own shows great character. 

He will probably not be number 1 next season but boy has he done himself and the club proud.

Nyland I agree, he's been dismal. Bunn is only ever a 3rd choice in my eyes so never had high expectations! 

23 hours ago, Xela said:

I like him. Would definitely want him to stay for a while longer. May not be a number 1 but a good number 2 and seems a really likeable guy. 

Glad he is having his moment in the sun after 5 years or so here!

I suspect he'll be considering this his moment in the shop window. He's 26, he's proved he can do it at this level after previously being sent out to league 1.

If Kalinic gets the #1 shirt next season, and you'd expect him to after the amount we spent on him, I suspect Jed might fancy going elsewhere to claim a first team place while his reputation is still high. Wouldn't blame him one bit. It'll be an interesting problem for Smith to have in the summer.

Edited by Davkaus

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

Nyland I agree, he's been dismal. Bunn is only ever a 3rd choice in my eyes so never had high expectations! 

Yeah but that’s the thing. Bunn was kept as second choice while Steer was sent out on loan. How would that make you feel if you were in his shoes?

Unless Steer demanded first team football or something?

I honestly still think Kalinic will be our keeper next season, Steer has been playing well but I think Kalinic is overall the better keeper. If we do go up then there's little chance Steer will be number 1 but good to have as backup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I suspect he'll be considering this his moment in the shop window. He's 26, he's proved he can do it at this level after previously being sent out to league 1.

If Kalinic gets the #1 shirt next season, and you'd expect him to after the amount we spent on him, I suspect Jed might fancy going elsewhere to claim a first team place while his reputation is still high. Wouldn't blame him one bit. It'll be an interesting problem for Smith to have in the summer.

By THAT rationale McCormack and Hogan ought to start. And I’m pretty sure that Lansbury cost a lot more than Grealish... 

I wouldn’t expect anything.  He spent a fair bit on that Nyland fella too..

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I honestly still think Kalinic will be our keeper next season, Steer has been playing well but I think Kalinic is overall the better keeper. If we do go up then there's little chance Steer will be number 1 but good to have as backup.

The thing is we are basing on this on his performances in Belgium and on International duty.  Whilst he might be the better keeper it’s debatable on whether he will be our number 1 next season. 

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

I wouldn’t expect anything.  He spent a fair bit on that Nyland fella too..

Different regime Nyland

I don't think Smith fancies him at all. 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I’ve not seen much from him to convince me of this.  He’s been pretty shaky.  He was being given the benefit of the doubt based on his was new to the league and also after Nyland, ANYONE was an upgrade.

im not trying to make out that Steer is the second coming, but I don’t buy this whole cuz we spent £Xm that guy deserves to be in the team.

Steer is doing just fine. Kalinic needs to be CLEARLY better to get it back, or Steer needs to make a few errors or get injured.  

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Different regime Nyland

I don't think Smith fancies him at all. 

That’s a valid point about the different regime.

However I don’t think Smith has the same arrogant mentality as some previous managers.  He’s not picking players just because he brought them to the club.  He’s picking Taylor ahead of Hause.

i think he would continue to do what he thinks is best for the team, not what would ‘save him some face’.

Steer was out on loan, we had Nyland In goal.  How was Smith to know how retarded Bruce was?

you kinda presume that the guy sent out on loan must be worse than the guy with the number 1 jersey.

He’s gone out and bought a keeper before he could assess Steer properly. 

Im not saying I’ve written off Kalinic, just that no one has any more a right to be in the first team than anyone else. It should be purely based on performance, and for me, he’s been by far the best of the three when you take all attributes into consideration.

Kalinic is too slow getting down, he’s spilt one that led to a goal, and he had the ball kicked out of his hands into the goal too, maybe a little harsh blaming him for that one, but I really think he could have been stronger there.

Â