Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They aren't conceding but aren't scoring many either. A few draws and the odd 1-0 defeat and they'll be caught.

Actually only 5 teams have scored more than Newcastle. We might not love them but their statistics say they are on a great course. We must strive to follow

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

Thank you. Having read the last few pages, I was going to do a similar list. I've added a few in bold too.

This is a list of wasted transfer fee's and wages, many of whom got people quite excited at the time. And this is why we're in the position we are now, and not challenging. There's gotta be £100m of fees there, plus more than that in salaries and paying up contracts.

We now have a proper manager in place, who is at the peak of his powers. I trust him.

Over recent years we've had Gerrard (useless), Smith (loved him but out of his depth), Bruce, Di Matteo, Garde, Sherwood (well), Lambert (we were broke, and broke him), McLeish (FFS); Houllier (past his prime but had a plan and too little time) and O'Neill (did well but was becoming a dinosaur before our eyes). That's since 2006. 
Maybe, just maybe, it's time to run the club properly for the first time in about 2 decades. 

My own thoughts on a couple of those managers (albeit off topic): Gerrard (started well, a gamble for him and us, that didn't come off), Smith (did what was asked of him by getting us up and keeping us up, but the time had come for us to part) and O'Neill (3 top 6 finishes before he quit after finding that Randy's cash and his interest in the club had dried up). I think that you have hit the nail pretty much on the head with the rest of your comments. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Nah not yet they aren’t, they have only won two more games then us this season and we had an awful start! They will drop out the top 6.

The players they have bar Guimares are not that great, Dan Burn for christs sake, he was abysmal and a back up at Brighton.

hopefully though we do sign another striker/winger

Dan Burn is good. I think you underestimate them. They've made loads of good signings in the last year. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Dan Burn is good. I think you underestimate them. They've made loads of good signings in the last year. 

dan burn is newcastle's mings. the ones that think he's crap are the ones that haven't watched him play.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

They will easily. They may well finish 4th

They are going through a bad patch for them . 3 nil nils and a 1 nil.  They are a proper team that is greater than the sum of their parts. But sprinkled with stardust in Pope Botman Trippier  Guimares and evetually Isak 

I think there needs to be some rule changes for when a thread for a player is started. Because we are going to end up with hundreds of threads in on topic that have no relevance whatsoever. It’s getting a bit much! 11 pages on Luiz Henrique and there is nothing in the link!

Edited by Tayls

4 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s interesting that court papers showed he is being paid £43k a week.

Anyone else think that was surprisingly low considering the type of money others are earning, and he was a club record transfer at £40m?

Mike Ashley negotiating tactic

28 minutes ago, macandally said:

Neither do Newcastle, they are doing Ok!

Newcastle aren't in Europe though mate?

Furthermore, once they get there, you know they'll be able to blow people out of the water for the next level of player.

For all the hate Ashley gets, that was the one thing he did well, keep them debt free.

Newcastle are able to sign players at a higher level because everyone is convinced they’ll be a UCL club within 1-2 years.

Still, at least in theory they have to follow the same FFP rules and can’t spend much more than us - the clubs have similar revenue levels. Quite a few PL clubs by now have owners who could and would spend more, if FFP didn’t prevent it.

1 hour ago, macandally said:

Neither do Newcastle, they are doing Ok!

They’re not playing in a European competition at the moment. This season is extremely unusual in that it has a World Cup mid season, I think they’d maybe 4/5 players go to the World Cup. I think other clubs had the following 16 (City), 14 (United), 12 (Chelsea), 11 (spurs), 10 (Arsenal), 7 (Liverpool).

A lot of these are underachieving at the moment and have indifferent form, Arsenal the obvious exception and you could say United are finally finding a bit of form but they were hammered by Brentford and we made them look ordinary.

Newcastle have become incredibly hard to beat and that way you’re always picking up points but they haven’t been as stretched as other teams at the end of the table. That being said they aren’t rolling at the moment like they were earlier in the season the goals have dried up.

At the other end of the spectrum West Ham have won 8 games in Europe this year but find themselves in a relegation battle.

Â