Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 minute ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

They very much were - lots of chatter about doping and referee bias during the season that Leicester won the title

Funny thing is Liverpool won the title with an even more suspicious doping issue and a VAR happy to assist them and nothing was said 😛

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It probably shouldn’t have been given as a penalty in the first place. You could say justice was done. 

Aye - was a strange call that one.

The original foul is Reid (I think it is) stepping on Trippier. Trippier then follows through and catches him - but the original foul is in Newcastles favour.

Justice done, even if the penalty call for double touch on a slip is harsh (but fair, imo).

On 15/01/2023 at 16:12, Tayls said:

It’s such a weird upturn in results and good fortune. Lost one game all season so far, after being relegation candidates last season… very odd indeed. 

There's no conspiracy. This season is similar to the 2012 where a few of the teams who regularly finish top 7 are having, by their standards, a very bad season. There are several midtable clubs having very poor seasons. And two of the promoted sides are having good or very good seasons. 

Aside from that all you have to do is look at the form of Newcastle after Howe got settled. We've been getting about 2PpG since Jan 22. The time Howe spent away after Bournemouth was time well taken. He went off to spend time with Simeone, some rugby clubs and all that. Worked on the parts of his game he felt were weak (defensive side chiefly) and the improvement is clear to see. We're very well organised, fit as ferrets and are prepared to shithouse for 90 minutes to get our wins.

The change to our defence has been remarkable. So many games where Pope hasn't had a save to make. The whole team is working so hard to keep those sheets clean. Only conceded >1 on two occasions; Man City and Liv. Only lost once in the league. Semi Final for the League Cup. 

We're about 4-5yrs ahead of schedule. Giddy Geordies want us to go off and spend a fortune this window, but I think it's more likely we stick to the plan and only change tack if we do get CL football.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheFish said:

There's no conspiracy. This season is similar to the 2012 where a few of the teams who regularly finish top 7 are having, by their standards, a very bad season. There are several midtable clubs having very poor seasons. And two of the promoted sides are having good or very good seasons. 

Aside from that all you have to do is look at the form of Newcastle after Howe got settled. We've been getting about 2PpG since Jan 22. The time Howe spent away after Bournemouth was time well taken. He went off to spend time with Simeone, some rugby clubs and all that. Worked on the parts of his game he felt were weak (defensive side chiefly) and the improvement is clear to see. We're very well organised, fit as ferrets and are prepared to shithouse for 90 minutes to get our wins.

The change to our defence has been remarkable. So many games where Pope hasn't had a save to make. The whole team is working so hard to keep those sheets clean. Only conceded >1 on two occasions; Man City and Liv. Only lost once in the league. Semi Final for the League Cup. 

We're about 4-5yrs ahead of schedule. Giddy Geordies want us to go off and spend a fortune this window, but I think it's more likely we stick to the plan and only change tack if we do get CL football.

The Geordies have been excellent in pretty much all they have done since the takeover.

A good example of how getting the right coach will change your club far more than just getting an owner with a shitload of money will.

I guess the money helps…..just a little but Eddie Howe should take the plaudits.

On 15/01/2023 at 16:51, HongKongVillan said:

Need to change the name of this thread it might just jinx them a little

Between that and the fact that the Man City thread used to also be prefixed "let's all laugh at", wondering if there should be a "let's cautiously disparage Birmingham City Football Club" thread

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

The Geordies have been excellent in pretty much all they have done since the takeover.

A good example of how getting the right coach will change your club far more than just getting an owner with a shitload of money will.

I guess the money helps…..just a little but Eddie Howe should take the plaudits.

Spending over £200m in two windows helps a lot. Bruno and Trippier transformed their team. But yes, it shows the benefit of having actual coaching over dinosaurs like Bruce. 

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Spending over £200m in two windows helps a lot. Bruno and Trippier transformed their team. But yes, it shows the benefit of having actual coaching over dinosaurs like Bruce. 

A good chunk of that £200m was Chris Wood (£25m), Joe Willock (£25m) and Dan Burn (£13m), signings which were roundly laughed at at the time.

Funny how they now get picked up and incorporated into a lump amount as if the money has made the biggest difference.

6 hours ago, TheFish said:

Of course there’s no conspiracy. I still think it is absolutely nuts though. Your lot are playing well, quick, aggressive, staying in really good shape on the pitch and working together. I’ve said it in another thread previously, you’ve assembled a squad of winners, that want nothing more than to win every game they go into. Fair play. Good luck to Newcastle and all that jazz. 

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

A good chunk of that £200m was Chris Wood (£25m), Joe Willock (£25m) and Dan Burn (£13m), signings which were roundly laughed at at the time.

Funny how they now get picked up and incorporated into a lump amount as if the money has made the biggest difference.

Said many times and I seriously believe this... Feel good factor has made the biggest difference up there, not Howe, not the signings, just the knowledge that they're going places and the buzz that it generates, they play at 100% every week, IMO there are a shocking number of PL teams and players, you look at Chelsea and its £50m+ World class International footballers, who simply don't play at that level, they shirk, Newcastle don't

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Said many times and I seriously believe this... Feel good factor has made the biggest difference up there, not Howe, not the signings, just the knowledge that they're going places and the buzz that it generates, they play at 100% every week, IMO there are a shocking number of PL teams and players, you look at Chelsea and its £50m+ World class International footballers, who simply don't play at that level, they shirk, Newcastle don't

Their home record says it all. They've lost one prem home game since Bruce left! It's like Man. City going from winning 5-6 home games in a season to 17-18 but in four months rather than four years.

I actually always thought SJP was a bit of hinderance to them in that so many players they sign couldn't really hack playing infront of 50k fans. They'd try to get on the frontfoot in games and just get picked off all the time but now they're feeding off it as you say.

Of course aswell in the later Mike Ashley years it was all getting very toxic which is always counterproductive for results on the pitch as Everton are currently finding out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Look at Arsenal as well. They were going nowhere when they had a bunch of moaning disruptive players in the squad but once they were cleared out they seem like a whole new team. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Look at Arsenal as well. They were going nowhere when they had a bunch of moaning disruptive players in the squad but once they were cleared out they seem like a whole new team. 

Yeah which Emery was unfairly blamed for at the time

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think that's definitely a factor and Mike Ashley no longer being involved in the club has done a lot for them.  But I refuse to believe that Howe isn't the biggest difference to be honest.  They play with such intensity and he's utilised players really, really well.  Dan Burn looking good at left back(?!) and all of Longstaff, Guimaraes (who is also a baller), Willock, Joelinton and Almiron (new lease of life) are such pests to play against; really in your face and all with decent speed.  I don't think another manager is playing in the same manner and getting the same results if I'm honest.

Â