Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

27 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It is, and either way he wouldn't be starting for the next 3 games anyway considering he tried to snap a kid's leg in half.

Nonsense.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Because we have the clown Southgate in charge picking his mates rather than the best players our thoughts on it are skewed but Guimares went to the world cup ahead of Luiz and it was completely fair and warranted, Luiz has been out of their set up for a while now, take your pick as to whether or not he stalled under Gerrard or actually went backwards

It would be Bruno + Kamara and would be a great pairing

If you then want to look at what Newcastle are doing with longstaff and willock in there too... Bruno walks in to our team, Luiz and kamara walk in to theirs

I'd 100% take Kamara.

Most of our team walks into the Newcastle team, their players aren't actually that good individually, or a better way of phrasing it would probably be to say that most of their players wouldn't get into our team, besides Guimarães I'm not sure we would take any of their players, maybe Isak, I thought he looked fantastic seeing him for Sweden a few times, but have seen others say he's not that good, so not sure on that one, he looked genuinely very good to me though albeit based on just a few games.

it's all about momentum with them at the moment, similar to when Leicester won the league, or when West Ham finished top six a couple of seasons back, or Sheffield United when they first got promoted and with a very weak squad and somehow managed to finish top half with fifty-four points, with all those teams the quality of their squads, or lack of it relative to their overachieving, eventually caught up with them,and the same will happen with Newcastle.

Of course Newcastle can build a genuinely good team if they spend wisely, but before then this current team will have a big dip in form, which is what will probably ultimatley cost Howe is job with them, he's way overachieved with them and will likely end up a victim of his own success.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

Bruno is by far their best player and whilst I thought they overpaid at the time it’s paid off for them. Newcastle are currently the sum of their parts, but form isn’t going to sustain them forever. The media is going to be even worse if they win the league cup. 

44 minutes ago, useless said:

Most of our team walks into the Newcastle team, their players aren't actually that good individually, or a better way of phrasing it would probably be to say that most of their players wouldn't get into our team, besides Guimarães I'm not sure we would take any of their players, maybe Isak, I thought he looked fantastic seeing him for Sweden a few times, but have seen others say he's not that good, so not sure on that one, he looked genuinely very good to me though albeit based on just a few games.

it's all about momentum with them at the moment, similar to when Leicester won the league, or when West Ham finished top six a couple of seasons back, or Sheffield United when they first got promoted and with a very weak squad and somehow managed to finish top half with fifty-four points, with all those teams the quality of their squads, or lack of it relative to their overachieving, eventually caught up with them,and the same will happen with Newcastle.

Of course Newcastle can build a genuinely good team if they spend wisely, but before then this current team will have a big dip in form, which is what will probably ultimatley cost Howe is job with them, he's way overachieved with them and will likely end up a victim of his own success.

Whilst the chat about current situation is true, the hypothetical you talk about won't happen.

They'll strengthen in the summer, and push on. They'll have the players that give them a top 6 finish next season.  Whether Howe can work with them will be another matter, but there's no way they won't make 2 or 3 marquee signings this summer.

The dip in form has already started in the leage, but they'll still make top 7 and a European spot, and Howe will be safe this season.

Edited by MrBlack

It won't be as seemelss as that, they might eventually end up being a top level PL side, but before that will almost certainly have a dip, that's the strange thing with how well they're doing at the moment, they can spend as much money as they want over the next few transfer windows on wonderful players, but they almost certainly won't match the form that their current players have shown, at least not to begin with, they might get their eventually if they can keep adding players, but it's not something that will happen straight away, if it actually happens at all, I have my doubts that they're gong to be the next Man City or anything like that, but we will see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think we'd probably have Trippier, Botman, maybe Schar, Guimaraes, Almiron.  They're very good defensively (although I don't watch enough Newcastle games to know whether this is necessarily individuals or a team plan working well).

Other than Guimarães and possibly Isak I suspect we would think we could buy better than all those players, so whilst they might not be bad per se, I don't think we would particularly want them. Almiron is someone who I always thought was never as bad as was often suggested, but at the moment he's like a minature version of them as an whole, that is he's overachieving on momentum, will likely revert to his old form.

• Like 1

I agree that Newcastle's form will stall a little at some point, but then, they do have a plan for that.

They're currently in the top four and in a cup final, it's an excellent season, even if it's in a way an anomaly whereby they've overachieved with the group of players they have. They'll strengthen heavily in the summer, and next season, they could well achieve exactly the same again, but need a lot less luck.

On 02/02/2023 at 15:14, StefanAVFC said:

Martinez, Tripper, Botman, Mings, Moreno, Bruno, Kamara, Ramsey, Almiron, Watkins, ASM

Pope is a great keeper too. Joelinton would possibly be ahead of Ramsay too. There can't be much between Wilson and Watkins.

Any talk about Newcastle having sub-par players and that our players would 'walk into their team' is incredibly wide of the mark imo. And if you look at this there's a bigger gap between our players not in that lineup and their players not in the lineup (Schar, Burn, Joelinton, Wilson etc. are good players).

Who knows where we'd be in the table if we hadn't had Gerrard as manager though—we'd be in a much much better position for sure, so we might be a fair comparison. Howe has had two, now three, windows to spend significant money, something that keeps getting ignored as far as I can see. This isn't the team Bruce left being coached a bit better.

Edited by Rolta

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Of course not, that’s not possible, who else could have done better?

I believe they had the makings of a very good side anyway

Edited by Follyfoot

Â