Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

10 hours ago, robby b said:

Despite the continuing title of this thread, Newcastle's vast improvement since the middle of last season and storming up the table to third has been no laughing matter. 😐

However, things have suddenly changed a bit with three nil-nils in their last four league games, I didn't see that coming. But I certainly welcome it! To think that in those four matches they scored just one goal compared with our six goals in our last four PL games!

It felt like that was largely how they were getting their wins though...with Almiron scoring worldies from nowhere to swing matches in their favour. They have drawn a fair few when he wasn't able to. 

This is probably wrong, as I know they have won by a few big scores too. 

• Like 1

On 22/01/2023 at 07:37, Rds1983 said:

Curious to see how their fans react if they go a few more games without a win and the teams behind starting catching up. A lot of their form is potentially based around the feel good atmosphere at the club and that might slip a bit if the pressure increases.

2 legged League Cup Semi Final against Southampton if they somehow mess that up the wheels could fall off.

If they get to Wembley stay in the top 4 the feel good factor will remain.

Personally I'd like them to just miss out on top 4, thus keeping Howe there longer than anyone expected, only to have to replace him midway next season. TBF though they just don't concede that easy - good effort from them to turn it around like that. Still think Howe's time there is limited. 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Still think Howe's time there is limited. 

Even if this is the case, it's a mutually beneficial relationship. He'll have absolutely no problems getting another decent job after this.

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Personally I'd like them to just miss out on top 4, thus keeping Howe there longer than anyone expected, only to have to replace him midway next season. TBF though they just don't concede that easy - good effort from them to turn it around like that. Still think Howe's time there is limited. 

Why do you think they'd want to replace him? He is doing extremely well, and he's done well in his past ventures. He is a good manager, probably better than Potter who I rate very highly despite Chelsea's struggles.

There is no reason to even consider getting rid whatsoever. 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Howes getting a tough rap here. Look at how many clean sheets they have kept.

I think he has done a excellent job to turn that defence in such a solid defence. 

Considering how this was literally the main knock on him before, 'he doesn't know how to organise a defence' (along with 'he keeps buying crappy Liverpool rejects' I suppose, perhaps a fairer criticism), I think he's answered the critics brilliantly. They've kept 7 clean sheets in a row in the league! That's insane!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Considering how this was literally the main knock on him before, 'he doesn't know how to organise a defence' (along with 'he keeps buying crappy Liverpool rejects' I suppose, perhaps a fairer criticism), I think he's answered the critics brilliantly. They've kept 7 clean sheets in a row in the league! That's insane!

Exactly not even city or arsenal have been unable to do that. Give credit where credit is due. They still only spent half odd on what chelsea have and are looking a hell of a lot better than them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You could possibly say it was fair criticism of his time at Bournemouth but it seems like he learned a thing or two from Simeone while doing that period of ‘work experience’ at Atletico Madrid between the Newcastle and Bournemouth jobs. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You could possibly say it was fair criticism of his time at Bournemouth but it seems like he learned a thing or two from Simeone while doing that period of ‘work experience’ at Atletico Madrid between the Newcastle and Bournemouth jobs. 

Yeah it seems to have been great for him, like when Lambert when to learn at Dortmund and came back next season really s…ah wait.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sure he just picked up from the defensive master Brucey 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I literally cannot believe i will be cheering utd on for this.

And you have to hope they beat Forest as well, which they will of course, because there's no way Newcastle would lose to them in the final.

Man United are the only way Newcastle won't win the Cup. 

Top 4 and a trophy within a year of being taken over potentially. How the hell is this all happening so quick?

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It doesn't matter anyway as Newcastle are only going one way and if they win this cup it's just the start. Better to focus on what we do.

The sad thing is Newcastle will join the group of clubs we simply can’t compete with.

City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle will buy their way into the top 6 each year. 

Best of the rest is 7th place. How exciting.

• Sad 1

Â