Christian Benteke

Kwan

I think his agent has a lot to do with it as well, Liverpool at the time wasnt the right move for him for his style of play but as we seen the agent was happy just for a transfer. Palace he did well under Pardew and Allardyce but then just collapsed again under Hodgson

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah similar to others I was absolutely convinced he'd leave us and go on to be one of the best strikers around. He just seemed to have everything, he scored every kind of goal, skillful, intelligent, fast, powerful. He was keeping Lukaku out of the Belgium side absolutely on merit.

I know there are reasons why he's been held back, like Hodgson not being the best manager for someone like Benteke. But I'm still amazed he hasn't turned out better than he has.

i can remember the debates here as to who was better between him and lukaku and even trying to remove the c&b specs why it was him, very different players despite their physical similarities 

interesting that they both ended up with bad transfers to clubs that didn't suit them but lukaku bounced back in spectacular fashion whereas benteke fell off a cliff

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

If he had anything about him he would have asked Palace to rip up his contract this summer. Last January or even the year before.

I am sure they would have been glad to.

Didn't they extend his deal last summer?

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i can remember the debates here as to who was better between him and lukaku and even trying to remove the c&b specs why it was him, very different players despite their physical similarities 

interesting that they both ended up with bad transfers to clubs that didn't suit them but lukaku bounced back in spectacular fashion whereas benteke fell off a cliff

Yes I think Lukaku was always going to end up the better player tbf

I went to a Belgium game in the 2014 World Cup in my Villa shirt.  Nearly every Belgian I spoke to said they preferred Benteke and he was the better player.

Unfortunately he missed that World Cup due to injury.  Shame as the Benteke of that era could have had a real impact on the tournament.  

I think Benteke was the better player at the time he was here but Lukaku is 3 years younger than him and I think was always groomed for the top so he was aware would be setbacks. Benteke on the other hand I dont think was ever really expected to be a superstar and maybe got too comfortable 

I don't blame the guy for leaving, he looked like he was on his way to the top so it didn't really make sense to stay here. He may have gone to the wrong top club but frankly he was too good back then to be battling relegation every year. He deserved a shot at the big time.

Certainly didn't work out for him though, and I'm sure he thinks back on his time at Villa as the highpoint of his career. It must be hard to come back from getting your big move and flopping, especially after some injuries, so it's not that surprising He's stagnated. He's unrecognisable as a player now.

I think that first bad injury he had here really stunted his progression. He lost some of that explosiveness. Then he made the wrong career choice going to Liverpool. I think with Benteke he was always looking for that big buck move, and once he made it he couldn’t be bothered to push on.
He was also targeted by managers who didn’t know how to play him, all pundits talked about this big bloke who the ball should be hit up to. Whereas infact he was so much better ball played to feet and people moving off him.
Benteke in his prime, in this Villa team feeding off Jack, Barkley and McGinn would have been immense. 

When he signed for us he thought we were in London and I imagine he had frequent trips down there to see Hazard who's one of his best mates in football. Get the feeling he's lost motivation at Palace enjoying the lifestyle.

Amazed he's still there, must be on a bomb wage wise as you'd think they'd have packed him off to MLS or China, certainly a player who'll end up in one of those leagues before too long.

45 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He wouldn't be the same player he was in his first spell. Never turn back the clock. 

No player is the same as 6 or 7 years ago. I still think he could do a job for us.

Would we have been better having Benteke in January than Samatta? Would he be a better option in the squad than Davis? I think yes to both of those.

Anyway clearly not going to happen but would still welcome it if it did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

No player is the same as 6 or 7 years ago. I still think he could do a job for us.

Would we have been better having Benteke in January than Samatta? Would he be a better option in the squad than Davis? I think yes to both of those.

Anyway clearly not going to happen but would still welcome it if it did.

How much of this is influenced by nostalgia?

Do you realize Benteke doesn't score goals?

He isn't the player we signed.

Just now, villalad21 said:

How much of this is influenced by nostalgia?

Do you realize Benteke doesn't score goals?

He isn't the player we signed.

A degree obviously but as I just posted he would have been better than Samatta and I think is better than Davis.

Yes. Do you realise he did until playing for one of the most defensive managers in the game who saw fit to put Kane taking corners? Davis also doesn’t score goals but we know Benteke can.

I know, see previous post.

Â