Christian Benteke

Kwan

Sherwood played to his strengths to be fair. Just don’t know what happened to him. He had one good season at palace but he’s someone that should have done better in his career 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Sherwood played to his strengths to be fair. Just don’t know what happened to him. He had one good season at palace but he’s someone that should have done better in his career 

Injuries and complete destruction of his confidence.

He was never an incredible player. He looked like a donkey quite often. But he had, with us, plenty of moments where that flipped and he'd smack in a worldie from nothing or dominate a centre half. Then he picked up the Achilles injury and had lost a bit of something. And then the Liverpool dream turned into a nightmare. Escaping that at Palace he has a decent run as a focal point and then wobbles and he's done. He's on the road to retirement now. Will be headed off to the final payday soon enough in some shonky league that he doesn't have have to be in top condition to donate again.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chindie said:

Injuries and complete destruction of his confidence.

He was never an incredible player. He looked like a donkey quite often. But he had, with us, plenty of moments where that flipped and he'd smack in a worldie from nothing or dominate a centre half. Then he picked up the Achilles injury and had lost a bit of something. And then the Liverpool dream turned into a nightmare. Escaping that at Palace he has a decent run as a focal point and then wobbles and he's done. He's on the road to retirement now. Will be headed off to the final payday soon enough in some shonky league that he doesn't have have to be in top condition to donate again.

Yep, I expect Qatar or China very soon

The way Palace fans are talking about how he's playing he sounds exactly the same as Davis, not scoring and then a mixture of fans thinking he's shit to others saying his hold up play and movement is keeping them ticking over 

• 2 months later...
On 16/07/2020 at 22:39, PaulC said:

It’s Hodgson. This is a guy who had Harry Kane taking corners! He has killed Benteke.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah similar to others I was absolutely convinced he'd leave us and go on to be one of the best strikers around. He just seemed to have everything, he scored every kind of goal, skillful, intelligent, fast, powerful. He was keeping Lukaku out of the Belgium side absolutely on merit.

I know there are reasons why he's been held back, like Hodgson not being the best manager for someone like Benteke. But I'm still amazed he hasn't turned out better than he has.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah similar to others I was absolutely convinced he'd leave us and go on to be one of the best strikers around. He just seemed to have everything, he scored every kind of goal, skillful, intelligent, fast, powerful. He was keeping Lukaku out of the Belgium side absolutely on merit.

I know there are reasons why he's been held back, like Hodgson not being the best manager for someone like Benteke. But I'm still amazed he hasn't turned out better than he has.

It was so obviously the wrong move for him at the time, they were just never going to play to his strength. Yet his scoring record for them was still decent, it was still okay at Palace in the first season then dropped off a cliff.

He was always a confidence player, you could see that with how he started for us then exploded into life. When he scored he would often score more than one which again links to confidence I think.

His confidence has totally gone now as I’m sure has a large part of his motivation. When with us he was always looking to making the big move but once that’s failed being motivated to play for Palace would be hard.

I may be being silly but I’d still have him back and I still think playing to his strengths and with fans back in Villa Park (if that ever happens again) singing his name he would recover some of that form.

• Like 2

Â