Jores Okore

Jesperchr

slow, way too slow to play with another slow cb

Okore, slow?

yes man, Sadio Mane scored three goals past Okore, Vlaar and Given in 179 second

he can't play in high line defense with another slow CB.. okore and clarke is better than okore and vlaar in TS world

Have you ever thought that maybe its Sadio Mane that is just freakishly quick? Doesn't make Okore or Vlaar slow.

lol, yes he is just another player from austrian league that is haunting aston villa

Okore, slow?

He was running like Richard Dunne after 10 pints to be fair to him.

Whether he was carrying a knock, or fatigued, I don't know.

Yeah but we know Okore isn't slow usually so it indicates, as you said, either a knock or being fatigued.

Sherwood said last week he was carrying in an injury. On that basis he should have started Senderos.

Okore, slow?

He was running like Richard Dunne after 10 pints to be fair to him.

Whether he was carrying a knock, or fatigued, I don't know.

Yeah but we know Okore isn't slow usually so it indicates, as you said, either a knock or being fatigued.
Sherwood said last week he was carrying in an injury. On that basis he should have started Senderos.

We don't know if Senderos is 100% fit either

In theory a Bacuna-Okore-Vlaar-Hutton back 4 is our best bet to play a high defensive line. Okore and Vlaar are quick, at least compared to most centre backs. Whether they'd have the discipline to play that way , having never ( or rarely) played in this formation is up to the manager. Also, if Okore was carrying a knock, I'm sure Sherwood must have seen him run in training. For some reason he looked like he was on an ice hockey rink. 

My theory is that Sherwood was preparing for Arsenal a bit, and having Southampton, who are the closest to Arsenal's style out of the latest opponents, he wanted to try something out, that he might use in the final. Didn't work at all, but you could argue one way to suffocate Arsenal is to not give them space and press high up. Safe to say, he'll now be playing a deeper back line in the final, based on this drubbing. Which would suit Arsenal, who could pass the ball around nicely in Villa's half. 

I think even the high line would've worked well had our defenders positioning and communication been up to standard. There were too many times when Okore or Vlaar had no idea where the other was. 

Decent plan, horrendous execution.

Edited by abdomlahor
  • Like 2

In theory a Bacuna-Okore-Vlaar-Hutton back 4 is our best bet to play a high defensive line. Okore and Vlaar are quick, at least compared to most centre backs. Whether they'd have the discipline to play that way , having never ( or rarely) played in this formation is up to the manager. Also, if Okore was carrying a knock, I'm sure Sherwood must have seen him run in training. For some reason he looked like he was on an ice hockey rink.

My theory is that Sherwood was preparing for Arsenal a bit, and having Southampton, who are the closest to Arsenal's style out of the latest opponents, he wanted to try something out, that he might use in the final. Didn't work at all, but you could argue one way to suffocate Arsenal is to not give them space and press high up. Safe to say, he'll now be playing a deeper back line in the final, based on this drubbing. Which would suit Arsenal, who could pass the ball around nicely in Villa's half.

I disagree, I think playing a deeper back line and having a compressed midfield will frustrate Arsenal. Swansea made a fine example of this Monday night....followed by typical Wenger comments. By pressing high up, it will leave gaps and allow the likes of Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey etc the space they love to operate in, and we will see a similar result as we saw at St Mary's.

Back on topic, Okore has looked better when partnered with Clark and hopefully Tim will make this his first choice CB pairing next season, even if we do bring in new players

I disagree, I think playing a deeper back line and having a compressed midfield will frustrate Arsenal. Swansea made a fine example of this Monday night....followed by typical Wenger comments. By pressing high up, it will leave gaps and allow the likes of Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey etc the space they love to operate in, and we will see a similar result as we saw at St Mary's.

Back on topic, Okore has looked better when partnered with Clark and hopefully Tim will make this his first choice CB pairing next season, even if we do bring in new players

Play a high line against Arse and they will murder us.Play deep, play off CB, and use our pace.Would play Sinclair tbh.

Back on the subject, imo Okores is a couple of years away yet, but i think he will be a very good defender, and, for me, him and Baker, power and pace, commitment and anticipation , is the perfect combination, a bit like McNaught and Evans.

Play a high line against Arse and they will murder us.Play deep, play off CB, and use our pace.Would play Sinclair tbh.

Back on the subject, imo Okores is a couple of years away yet, but i think he will be a very good defender, and, for me, him and Baker, power and pace, commitment and anticipation , is the perfect combination, a bit like McNaught and Evans.

No way is Baker better than Clark. Did you not see Clark and Okore play together?

Baker has a heart like a lion, but is constantly picking up injuries now, partly because of his playing style.

• Like 1

Not a disagreement between us, tbh. I also believe our best chance against Arsenal would be to play with a very deep back line, because we don't have the quality and discipline to play a high one. I simply said Sherwood, just as Lambert before him against Arsenal, tried to play this way in order to see where we stand. Turned out we're poor, unsurprisingly. 

There are two ways to play Arsenal and clubs like them - sit very deep, concede 60-70% of possession, chase their midfielders and try to hit on the counter - this is how 90% of clubs would play them and how Villa should play them, as we lack quality all over the pitch against them. The other one it to take the game to them - play a high back line, compress the midfield zone to some 30-40 yards where their passing game would be suffocated and make sure they don't do what Southampton did on saturday, or Arsenal themselves did to Villa the last time we played them. We currently can't do this, very few teams can. 

Before last weeks 6-1 defeat I really thought Okore was a player we didn't need to look to replace, I was quite happy to have him playing along side one other. But that game worried me, he was all over the place. I've read he was carrying an injury and I'm hoping it really was just a one off bad game for him and he can now put it behind him. Hopefully he can show us that he doesn't need replacing at the weekend. 

Be interesting to see whether he plays at the weekend.

If he is injured then he should definitely be rested so I would guess that Senderos or Baker (who was back for U21s this week) would come in.

Be really tough to lose his Cup Final place at the last gasp but I am with you in your worries. It was truely horrendous on Saturday and I dread to think what the Arsenal fliers would do in the same situation.

He's a quiet guy on the field.  Definitely the type of player who needs a leader next to him.

Next to someone like Laursen, he'd be absolutely immense.

He'll learn leadership through time, he's only a kid still.

He's a quiet guy on the field.  Definitely the type of player who needs a leader next to him.

Next to someone like Laursen, he'd be absolutely immense.

He'll learn leadership through time, he's only a kid still.

Yeah, I actually think he brought out the leader in Clark.

Â