Jores Okore

Jesperchr

Ball playing centre halves are fine as long as you have a dominant one particularly in the air along side them...i.e Evans & McNaught

2 of the same give you problems

True.

Unless they are Nesta & Cannavaro, and ours are not

Hasn't even trained this week so seems like he is getting some much needed rest. Awful game last weekend but I admire the fact he has just put himself through this for the team, shows a lot of character.

Worrying that it's the same knee he had trouble with last season. Hopefully it's not a major op that's needed to get him back

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-defender-set-miss-9328298

Aston Villa defender set to miss the FA Cup final

25 MAY 2015 10:30 PM BY GREGG EVANS

Aston Villa's Danish centre-back Jores Okore is still struggling with knee complaints after making his comeback from a cruciate ligament injury suffered last season

3 Shares

Jores-Okore-during-Aston-Villas-victory-over-Everton.png

Jores Okore

Aston Villa defender Jores Okore is a serious doubt for the FA Cup Final as his on-going right knee problems continue to haunt him.

The 22-year-old ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament last season and is now training just once a week after starting to feel the effects of a gruelling season.

Okore was rested on Sunday and has sat out of all training sessions in a bid to make the Wembley showpiece but already the centre-half has been warned that surgery may be the only way to rectify the problem this summer.

It means that he won’t be going to the U21 European Championships with Denmark, either, as Villa weigh up his best means of recovery.

“He won’t be in that under-21 squad,” Sherwood confirmed.

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood before the match

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood before the match

“He is one who is training once a week. Last week he didn’t train the whole week. He is a warrior who just wants to play for the club.

“If I want anyone to be in the trenches with me it would be him. Unfortunately the knee is too bad so he is going to need some assistance on that.

“I had a good chat with the Danish FA and told them what has been happening. He was assessed by them last week.

“I’m hoping he doesn’t need surgery but I am not sure. It is related to the ACL but the ligaments are still intact.”

Asked if he will be fit for the cup final, Sherwood said: "In his mind he thinks his job is done because he is doing it for the team. That’s the way he feels. “I want him fit. Then I can make a choice.

“He really has gritted his teeth and got us over the line in the Premier League because he thought that was the priority.

“He is not thinking about himself. His performances, particularly with this injury considered, have been excellent.

“I think him and Ron (Vlaar) have been quality. The fans don’t see that side. The guys know they are putting themselves on offer.

Were you in the Villa Park crowd on Sunday?

Aston Villa fans at the Burnley match

VIEW GALLERY

“They are going in trying to do their job having at times only been able to train once a week, especially when you need to be switched on and fit, so I think they have done brilliantly.”

Vlaar is another player who is sticking to a light workload.

Sherwood knows the Dutchman is experienced enough to manage his own body but cut down his training time himself to improve his low appearance record.

With Ciaran Clark out injured and Nathan Baker only just returning, Villa have had little choice other than to stick with Okore despite his niggling injury.

In recent games against West Ham and Southampton his fitness level appeared to have dropped but Sherwood is hoping the rest this weekend will help his chances ahead of the clash with Arsenal.

Baker’s return against Burnley will also help his selection.

Sounds like he has done more damage to himself with all the games this season - love his passion to keep going for us but definitely needs a break/rest so he can come back ready for pre-season.

Why did he play vs Southampton last week?  He was way off the pace and it could of cost us staying up if Hull had of won that day.  Sendeos was on the bench and should of played instead of Okore...

Senderos is one of those to be transfer-listed reportedly. Sherwood confirmed he was left out on Sunday despite being fit along with Lowton didn't he?

Yeah I read that but doesn't sit right with me to play okore when he was obviously not upto it while having an experienced player like senderos available who played decent for us for the most part.

Love Okore. Hope he hasn't suffered a set back by playing through pain.

It was obvious he was crocked against Southampton, people complaining about his pace! He's an absolute flyer for a centre half!

Just for the pace aspect I'd prefer Okore as really Vlaar and Baker is pretty lumbering when opposition strikers break past our midfield and run at the defence...and there's going to be plenty of that on Saturday.

We can't really play a high line with those two either.

Just for the pace aspect I'd prefer Okore as really Vlaar and Baker is pretty lumbering when opposition strikers break past our midfield and run at the defence...and there's going to be plenty of that on Saturday.

We can't really play a high line with those two either.

Okore won't have any pace playing injured.

Yeh, Vlaar and Baker it is. Not brilliant, but what can you do. Senderos doesn't cut it for whatever reason.

Jores, all the best for your recovery, and thanks for this season!

Is there any point starting Baker when we know that their is a high likely hood that he'll end up needing to be subbed?

Well, the choice is between Baker and Okore right? So the question is, do we play a player who might potentially get injured or a player who definitely is injured? I think that's a fairly easy question to answer. 

• Like 2

Â