U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm reading a bit on Reddit Conservative channel, and it's just amazing how fecking stupid a lot of that bunch is. 

What's even more amazing is that they seem utterly obsessed by disagreeing ANYTHING that can be associated with the democratic party. It's like all critical thinking has fecked off.  Just astounding.

That country truly have turned into a toilet of ignorant rednecks. 

I was on there yesterday just having a look. Its madness. 

D.C.'s Acting U.S. Attorney Calls Scope Of Capitol Investigation 'Unprecedented'

The acting U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, Michael Sherwin, says "hundreds" of people may ultimately face charges related to the storming of the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, which interrupted a session of Congress and left five people dead...

He says there's likely to be a wide array of criminal charges, ranging from destruction of federal property to murder. He also expects to find evidence of coordination among at least some of the rioters...

And, he says, if the evidence points to crimes by elected officials — such as incitement of violence — he's prepared to bring the appropriate charges...

Highlights above, plenty more to read on NPR

46 minutes ago, sne said:

Apparently a police officer who worked at Capitol during the storming has died from suicide. 

I wonder if this is someone who was complicit in what happened or just feeling he's let the nation down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Strong stuff this from Schwarzenegger especially as a Republican. Fair play to him.

Very good, only let down by the sword bollocks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It has felt that way.

From the "American Carnage" inauguration speech, then Spicer coming out in his first press conference demanding we not believe our eyes about the crowd size. The muslim ban when he actually got New Yorkers to JFK for another reason other than they had to. It's been a nightmare and it's not over yet.

23 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

An interesting thread from the citizen investigators who tracked down the identities of the guys carrying zip ties and sent the info to the FBI leading to their arrest.

That is brilliant. I take my hat off to these people. I like that they just hand it over to the authorities when they find out who it is. 

Also shows how mass exposure to various different social media sources can catch you.  All masked up in one place but then take your mask off elsewhere and you're still caught. 

Jesus, some of the footage that is starting to emerge is just shocking. The ones showing the Police officers being dragged down the stairs and attacked are just horrific, especially when you consider one of the officers may well be the one who lost his life.

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Jesus, some of the footage that is starting to emerge is just shocking. The ones showing the Police officers being dragged down the stairs and attacked are just horrific, especially when you consider one of the officers may well be the one who lost his life.

Brings ever more perspective to the idea that in other protests where the police were keen to get their brutality on whether or not they were actually in danger, yet here where they were, for example, being dragged down steps and beaten, and bugger all happened.

On 06/01/2021 at 20:58, Chindie said:

That guard needs a raise, a promotion or a **** medal.

Some additional context to this

Bloke's a bloody hero, and did it without killing anyone and put himself in harm's way.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Brings ever more perspective to the idea that in other protests where the police were keen to get their brutality on whether or not they were actually in danger, yet here where they were, for example, being dragged down steps and beaten, and bugger all happened.

I think there are many different ways of looking at this, an alternative would be was previous 'brutality' actually that or necessary self defence? Impossible to answer. What is clear is that the Police in this example were for whatever reason left horribly exposed. The real questions are why and by who?

Â