U.S. Politics

maqroll

Impeachment requires a 2/3rds majority in Congress and the only outcome - even if successful - is removal from office.

He'll be gone before this process even plays out, it's pure political theatre.

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Impeachment requires a 2/3rds majority in Congress and the only outcome - even if successful - is removal from office.

Well no. Isn't it also about proving that there are consequences and stopping him from running for office again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Have I ever told you guys about the time I got a small fine for overstaying in a short term car park? It was just like the sacking of Nanking. 

I'm slightly surprised that you knew about the sack of Nanking, but not Kristallnacht. 

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

That isn't the only outcome at all

He is barred from standing again

He loses Secret Service Protection

He loses $200,000 a year in pension / salary

He loses a Govt funded Office

He loses a $1,000,000 per year travel allowance

EDIT: He would also lose the ability to Pardon himself

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well no. Isn't it also about proving that there are consequences and stopping him from running for office again.

The only way that makes sense is if the impeachment process can be completed after he has already left office (can it??) and the 2/3rds majority can be achieved. That means a lot of Republican politicians having a Come to Jesus moment. 

Too add to @bickster it should be pointed out that those are the potential outcomes of a conviction which is what requires the 2/3 majority. He is already an impeached president, and I believe this will make him the first to ever be impeached twice.

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm slightly surprised that you knew about the sack of Nanking, but not Kristallnacht. 

I did know of it, to be fair, I just wasn't familiar with the German word for it, I'd only heard of the name "Night of the broken glass". I'll probably have forgotten the German name for it again by tomorrow :D 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

That isn't the only outcome at all

He is barred from standing again

He loses Secret Service Protection

He loses $200,000 a year in pension / salary

He loses a Govt funded Office

He loses a $1,000,000 per year travel allowance

EDIT: He would also lose the ability to Pardon himself

A bit of politicking going on as well - it would also be done to make things politically tricky for Republican senators. 

In the previous impeachment vote, their voters would be solidly behind a vote in Trump's favour so there would be no political fallout.

This time whichever way they vote, they'd be pissing off half of their voters*. Not to the extent that they will vote in favour, but if it loses them a few thousand votes then that's still a useful thing.

*given around half of Republicans think the Capitol incident was good and half think it was bad

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I did know of it, to be fair, I just wasn't familiar with the German word for it, I'd only heard of the name "Night of the broken glass". I'll probably have forgotten the German name for it again by tomorrow

Ah, fair enough. 

42 minutes ago, Awol said:

They don’t actually have to hold the trial anytime soon. The talk is it will be held later in the year (at a time of Pelosi’s choosing). 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Former Presidents get invited to all kinds of events around the world I guess.

Almost certainly, with paid travel as part of the invitation. 

Â