U.S. Politics

maqroll

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

They’ll just be so concerned he sets up a tea party style movement that stands and votes separate to Republicanism. Cutting enough of a per cent age off their funding, volunteering and polling to do them serious damage.

Exactly .... and possibly more importantly split the vote. Essentially giving the democrats a free pass.

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Actually it isn’t purely symbolic, it would potentially stop him standing again in 4 years for a start.

It is if it doesn’t stand a hope in hells chance of success.

Those right wing white people (racists?) who stormed the capital building are the core base of the Republican Party. They aren’t about to turn them away. They want to put them back in the box so they aren’t running riot but they need their votes. 

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Those right wing white people (racists?) who stormed the capital building are the core base of the Republican Party. They aren’t about to turn them away. They want to put them back in the box so they aren’t running riot but they need their votes. 

They are about to stick a big bunch of those people in jail. And getting rid of Trump will prevent him pardonning them all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s Democrats not Republican’s that are pursuing another attempt to impeach him so it’s nothing to do with turning away voters from the Republican Party.

I’m not so sure it wouldn’t stand a chance a second time around.

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

You would like to think they see danger in him. 

Whilst he's managed to energize enormous support he's also alienated so much of the rest of the population that they've lost by a landslide number of States, some which never swing have and they've also lost the senate. 

He's basically lost them everything whilst bringing huge disrepute and danger to the party and the country as a whole. 

If they had any sense that would seize the moment to rid themselves of him and try to reset with a new leader and new approach. 

A lot of the commentary in the election was about Republican support in the main being rural, older and not college educated.  People were saying a lot of States which didn't swing this time may be primed to next time as younger voters come into the system and more college educated people move into different parts of the country. 

Especially after the riots you would think they would want to purge themselves of Trumpism, but as we all know politicians are never very good at the big picture and considering which leader is most likely to get them into power. 

It may also be too many of them are still scared of the tyrannical regime will still hold sway and if they put the knife in now they will pay later. 

I've said this to myself so many times over the last 4 years, that it's blindingly how corrupt and dangerous and unfit for office he is, but no the GOP always stayed in lockstep behind him.

There are signs that this time the Republican establishment will finally break with him for good and get him what he deserves, but I'm not counting my eggs until they hatch.

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Has much been made about these patriots’ actions killing a police officer yet?

Yeah, the flags outside the Capitol were at half-mast yesterday IIRC.

4 minutes ago, legov said:

I've said this to myself so many times over the last 4 years, that it's blindingly how corrupt and dangerous and unfit for office he is, but no the GOP always stayed in lockstep behind him.

There are signs that this time the Republican establishment will finally break with him for good and get him what he deserves, but I'm not counting my eggs until they hatch.

Fairly sure you’ll be fine counting your eggs before they hatch. 😀

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It’s Democrats not Republican’s that are pursuing another attempt to impeach him so it’s nothing to do with turning away voters from the Republican Party.

I’m not so sure it wouldn’t stand a chance a second time around.

It requires a 2/3 super majority to be successful. Last time only 1 republican supported it (mitt Romney).

It’s one thing to go on tv and Twitter and tell everyone you don’t support the presidents actions and quite another to actively cast a vote to get rid. There might be more than just Romney this time but there won’t be enough, surely?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villakram said:

So many fans of censorship these days. Funny old world.

Censoring a giant man baby and his hateful, moronic rhetoric should be a no brainer in any decent society.

There’s free speech and then there’s simple idiocy and the latter should not be accommodated.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, sne said:

The plonker with the horns and the spear has been arrested too now.

Thoughts and prayers.

Presumably though, Trump-Twitter must be delighted by all these arrests? 

On account of those people being Soros-paid actors and high-ranking Antifa infiltrators? 

They must be hoping that the book is thrown at them, good and proper.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Censoring a giant man baby and his hateful, moronic rhetoric should be a no brainer in any decent society.

Theres free speech and there’s there simply idiocy and the latter should not be accommodated.

It’s not censorship 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

On the other hand do the Republican establishment want Trump to be able to run in 4 years time? Surely he will harvest a massive chunk of the conservative vote if he’s on the ballot but he will not be seen as fit to run as the Republican nominee after this stunt. If he’s allowed to stand all he will do is split the conservative vote. 

Edit: I think the main reason he won’t be impeached is that Democrats will want him there splitting the vote in 4 years time. 

Edited by LondonLax

If he runs in 2024 I think it will be as an independent or with a newly formed party. But I guess one of his spawn might still run in the Republican party if Trump decides not to run.

Â