U.S. Politics

maqroll

I’m reading a lot of comments from conservatives about the blocking of Trumps Twitter account as an attack on free speech.

but isn’t it the prerogative of a private company to choose who they provide with their service or goods? Not so long ago, there was a story about a bakery refusing to sell a cake to a gay couple. Progressives and conservatives were on the opposite sides of the discussion as they are now.

When it comes to free speech, Twitter isn’t prohibiting trump from speaking, they are just not offering him a platform. He is still free to use other platforms. 

Apparently Rudy Guiliani made a video where he is explaining what actually happened according to him and that the insurgents where actually Antifa infiltrators and so on.

The video has been taken down by Youtube but I imagine it's a doozy 

19 minutes ago, AXD said:

I’m reading a lot of comments from conservatives about the blocking of Trumps Twitter account as an attack on free speech.

but isn’t it the prerogative of a private company to choose who they provide with their service or goods? Not so long ago, there was a story about a bakery refusing to sell a cake to a gay couple. Progressives and conservatives were on the opposite sides of the discussion as they are now.

When it comes to free speech, Twitter isn’t prohibiting trump from speaking, they are just not offering him a platform. He is still free to use other platforms. 

Yes. Freedom of speech laws are specifically about the government not being able to limit people's freedom of speech.  Individuals are companies are free to limit people's speech as they see fit within services or property in which they set the rules.

It seems that 90% of the time, people who bang on about "freedom of speech" and the first amendment don't really understand where or to whom it applies.

43 minutes ago, AXD said:

It's just great Rhetoric though. 

Freedom of speech is seen as a cornerstone of a free country so as soon as anyone makes any accusations of freedom of speech immediately pushes peoples buttons and is guaranteed to get them riled up. 

People aren't going to stop and think what that actually means, they just react and get angry. 

The fact that Trump has spent 4 years constantly attacking the free press, so actually the Government trying to attack freedom of speech is totally lost on them.

49 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't understand why the Republican party haven't turned on him. 

The 'turning on him' process is clearly going to be slow and incomplete. It has started this week after Wednesday, which to be clear is many days late and many dollars short, so I'm not praising anyone for it, but there was a clear-if-incomplete shift in sentiment amongst the Republican establishment.

• Like 1

They’ll just be so concerned he sets up a tea party style movement that stands and votes separate to Republicanism. Cutting enough of a per cent age off their funding, volunteering and polling to do them serious damage.

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is the mentality of some of America and sadly some of the UK. Get a lie or conspiracy out there, a percentage will believe it, they will retell it and then another percentage will believe it. This carries on until a lie is considered plausible. Regardless of politics, people need to have critical thought. If a fact is stated do your own research from accredited or reliable independent sources.

The best thing about VT and the politics threads of all colours, a lie, a half truth, hyperbole is absolutely took apart fairly swiftly. Sadly that critical thought is missing elsewhere.  

Americans need to learn how to properly take the piss. They should change the 1st Amendment, to you have the right to  take the piss against a government acting like a Cu*t

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, colhint said:

Americans need to learn how to properly take the piss. They should change the 1st Amendment, to you have the right to  take the piss against a government acting like a Cu*t

The government is acting like a Cult right now as well. 

Edited by sidcow

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

They’ll just be so concerned he sets up a tea party style movement that stands and votes separate to Republicanism. Cutting enough of a per cent age off their funding, volunteering and polling to do them serious damage.

Bet the democrats are holding out for this to happen. 

I can only see it happening for 2024 unless one of his spawn take up the mantle but it could do serious damage to the Republicans for a long time 

34 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Bet the democrats are holding out for this to happen. 

I can only see it happening for 2024 unless one of his spawn take up the mantle but it could do serious damage to the Republicans for a long time 

That might be the one possible positive thing coming from this idiot's legacy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I asked you if you wanted to ban guns for the general public and you said "stop being silly." For me, that is not silly.

Then you tell me I know I am silly?!?!?!

I believe we should get all guns out of peoples hands. If militias et al. refuse. Arrest them. I don't care about Waco happening again. Go in and shut these right wing idiotic militias down. They don't want to live with the majority of society great! go and live in the woods - you just can't have guns and automatic weapons to come into our communities and kill our loved ones. And half nut jobs who want an arsenal at home can't have it. Sorry - no guns at Walmart anymore.

Why should my family risk being shot by some idiot? I'm deadly serious - not being silly. Australia did it after a mass shooting. That "my right, Amurica freedom is total bullshit." Get the weapons out of the hands of the idiots. Thats not stupid or silly - thats sensible.

It's a very serious issue to me. My son. will go to school soon in a state that has had 3 of the worst mass school shootings in history. Should I teach him how to shoot and cary a weapon at 4 years old?

"A complete ban on all guns in the US"

Your words. Silly. This is the sort of ideal-land thinking that leads to lots of workshops and white-papers but little difference in the real world.

Your above attempt at a re-write is interesting and had you wrote that it would have elicited a different response. 

Gun culture here is weird, you'll get no argument from me on that point. At least in Co., basic sense appears to have taken hold of the electorate, though I am not familiar with the coal politics scene. Hence, less likelihood of mandated arming of teachers in the immediate future. Here in Michigan, they are constantly probing the gun laws, e.g., the prohibition of guns on University/School grounds.

Â