U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

From my understanding of Windrush Generation onward, police have a history of brutality and racist conduct and corruption toward their community. Black people in Britain seem to have a similar gripe as their counterparts in USA with the primary difference being much less homicidal violence. But similar harassment and scrutiny and prejudice and unaccountability. Am I wrong?

You are not. 

David Oluwale (1930–1969) was a British Nigerian who drowned in the River Aire in Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire, in 1969. The events leading to his drowning have been described as "the physical and psychological destruction of a homeless, black man whose brutal, systematic harassment was orchestrated by the Leeds city police force." Oluwale's death resulted in the first successful prosecution of British police officers for involvement in the death of a black person. 

Wiki

The two cops did a few months in jail (read the full article). In the early 80s I had a warehouse job loading trucks, and one of the security guys there was former police Sgt. Kitching. Very creepy character. 

Last year a few rockabilly bands who are more enlightened that the majority of the audience they play to, announced they would no longer play venues that display the confederate flag. That they would not allow confederate flags at their gigs. The latter was a request. They, and one band in particular, The Delta Bombers came in for a lot of flack, almost exclusively from the UK rockabilly scene. I have been to gigs since where the flag has been flaunted by punters. 
I go to country gigs and where the audience is young, you would not get a sniff of the stars and bars, a festival aimed squarely at an older clientele and you can’t move for confederate flags.  

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Last year a few rockabilly bands who are more enlightened that the majority of the audience they play to, announced they would no longer play venues that display the confederate flag. That they would not allow confederate flags at their gigs. The latter was a request. They, and one band in particular, The Delta Bombers came in for a lot of flack, almost exclusively from the UK rockabilly scene. I have been to gigs since where the flag has been flaunted by punters. 
I go to country gigs and where the audience is young, you would not get a sniff of the stars and bars, a festival aimed squarely at an older clientele and you can’t move for confederate flags.  

I guess it's like what has happened in the UK country music scene. When I Wor A Lad, British "C&W" clubs really took the "western" bit to heart, and were largely populated by aged working class misfits wearing cowboy outfits, complete with replica six shooters, and listening to Boxcar Willie, Jim Reeves and Slim Whitman. The very definition of 'cringeworthy'. The few local bands were probably Irish, and Not Very Good. I'm pretty sure the clientele saw the stars and bars as just a symbol of "southernness", like The Dukes of Hazzard, rather than a symbol of white supremacy. 

Nowadays, there seem to be any number of young (and old) UK bands playing what it is now more cool to call 'Americana', and playing it well - often touring the US and being accepted (much like what happened with British blues bands in the 60s). And there won't be a confederate flag in sight. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Woah

Certainly interesting, but what does it mean and what and how will they replace it with?

Let's hope it isn't with private police groups and something like Blackwater, or whatever. Since it is the US I imagine it will end up with some kind of US Judge Dread or Robocop system.

Even with good intentions I have a feeling it will turn out like when Homer took over as garbage commissioner in Springfield.

I really hope they have a plan and that it doesn't get destroyed by corruption.

3 hours ago, sne said:

Certainly interesting, but what does it mean and what and how will they replace it with?

Let's hope it isn't with private police groups and something like Blackwater, or whatever. Since it is the US I imagine it will end up with some kind of US Judge Dread or Robocop system.

Even with good intentions I have a feeling it will turn out like when Homer took over as garbage commissioner in Springfield.

I really hope they have a plan and that it doesn't get destroyed by corruption.

It’s America, if it’s been conceptualised it’s already corrupt.

• Like 1

Maybe...

Deaths in Baltimore exploded in the years after the Freddie Grey riots... anecdotally,  as the police decided to sit back and let things play out given how unnecessary they were or some such nauseous self-pitying excuse. I'm certain it's more complex than this, but I am un-informed.

https://baltimorehomicides.com/2018/01/16/the-shortsightedness-about-homicides-in-baltimore/

spacer.png

Edited by villakram

10 hours ago, sne said:

giphy.gif

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Dead or alive, you're coming with me. 

No change there then. At least the robots will be a bit more impartial. 

See, you say that but...

Microsoft's robot editor confuses mixed-race Little Mix singers

Microsoft’s decision to replace human journalists with robots has backfired, after the tech company’s artificial intelligence software illustrated a news story about racism with a photo of the wrong mixed-race member of the band Little Mix.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jun/09/microsofts-robot-journalist-confused-by-mixed-race-little-mix-singers

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, villakram said:

Maybe...

Deaths in Baltimore exploded in the years after the Freddie Grey riots... anecdotally,  as the police decided to sit back and let things play out given how unnecessary they were or some such nauseous self-pitying excuse. I'm certain it's more complex than this, but I am un-informed.

https://baltimorehomicides.com/2018/01/16/the-shortsightedness-about-homicides-in-baltimore/

spacer.png

2007/2008 drop is easy to explain. Marlo's crew was disbanded. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â