U.S. Politics

maqroll

35 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There is a video doing the rounds that shows a bunch of protesters who are annoyed at Martin Gugino. It looks as though it was filmed just before the incident and one of the protesters is saying he’s trying to get himself punched. 

Edit: I don’t really know what to make of it all to be honest. 

I think people might be getting confused by the phrase "lookin' to get his ass whooped" or "Lookin' to get punched in the face"

That doesn't mean "I think this guy's plan is to deliberately try and get somebody to punch him in the face"

It means "I'm gonna punch this guy in the face"

Kinda like "You're going the right way for a punch in the face"

My guess is the protesters saw an old white dude and thought he was up to no good so thought he was "lookin' to get his ass whooped"

There's nothing in that video to suggest he was deliberately planning to get punched. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think people might be getting confused by the phrase "lookin' to get his ass whooped" or "Lookin' to get punched in the face"

That doesn't mean "I think this guy's plan is to deliberately try and get somebody to punch him in the face"

It means "I'm gonna punch this guy in the face"

Kinda like "You're going the right way for a punch in the face"

My guess is the protesters saw an old white dude and thought he was up to no good so thought he was "lookin' to get his ass whooped"

There's nothing in that video to suggest he was deliberately planning to get punched. 

I agree with your take. I think guy talking to camera is saying he’s in line for a punch because he’s winding everyone up around him.

It sounds like they are annoyed with him because he’s there thinking it’s a big game rather than a lived experience but there’s not a lot to go on from that clip. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I agree with your take. I think guy talking to camera is saying he’s in line for a punch because he’s winding everyone up around him.

It sounds like they are annoyed with him because he’s there thinking it’s a big game rather than a lived experience but there’s not a lot to go on from that clip. 

Yeah I'd agree with this. Kinda sounds like he's just there to see what's going on, rather than actually protest. Which they're taking issue with (and possibly assuming he's on the other side because he's old and white)

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I'd agree with this. Kinda sounds like he's just there to see what's going on, rather than actually protest. Which they're taking issue with (and possibly assuming he's on the other side because he's old and white)

Yeah, basically he looks suspect to them and the fact that he's not being clear about his stance is exacerbating it. He's not actually looking to get punched, I can't tell if it's a desperate reach from the usual suspects or just a misunderstanding though.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah, basically he looks suspect to them and the fact that he's not being clear about his stance is exacerbating it. He's not actually looking to get punched, I can't tell if it's a desperate reach from the usual suspects or just a misunderstanding though.

I can understand how someone could misunderstand that phrase.

But I'm sure it will be pounced upon by everyone to show this was some sort of scam. All Trump's disciples will be all over it.

Trump could say the Queen was actually Tony Robinson in a wig and half of America would believe it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I’m also pretty confident he was heading for re-election until his response to COVID-19 and the protests. 

this is where I'm at. Biden as a candidate to me is so similar to Hillary, and that the COVID response and protest response by Pres. Trump is the main reason that is going to change.

still is a shame that the best presidential candidates we can get over here are two old men who can barely string together a comprehensive sentence (from very different circumstances mind). 

16 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Next up Goebbels to write a speech about healing anti-Semitism.

Well he already have Jared Kushner in charge to broker peace between Israel and Palestine so it fits with his modus operandi.

Edited by sne

15 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The entire thing needs an overhaul but no-one keen to see a change has the means or resources with which to bring it about.

I think you're right, but it's the other way - those people who have the means and resources to change it are very keen to ensure that it doesn't change. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sne said:

Well he already have Jared Kushner in charge to broker peace between Israel and Palestine so it fits with his modus operandi.

I saw something the other day where Kushner was, in some semi-official capacity, giving his thoughts on police reform as well, which seems to be another thing in his ever-expanding brief.

My question for any history buffs (or anyone really) is 'has there ever been a powerful figure who seemed so hugely into his own son-in-law'?

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I saw something the other day where Kushner was, in some semi-official capacity, giving his thoughts on police reform as well, which seems to be another thing in his ever-expanding brief.

My question for any history buffs (or anyone really) is 'has there ever been a powerful figure who seemed so hugely into his own son-in-law'?

It's in the same vein as dictators in African nations use to work.

Uganda, Rwanda, Zimbabwe and so on has this system in place. The US should not.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

It's in the same vein as dictators in African nations use to work.

Uganda, Rwanda, Zimbabwe and so on has this system in place. The US should not.

Agree on the general point - I guess I'm focusing on the specific father-in-law/son-in-law dynamic. Obviously fathers and sons is perhaps the ultimate preoccupation of power, but to be so into your son-in-law, when you have actual sons, just seems kind of unusual to me.

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Agree on the general point - I guess I'm focusing on the specific father-in-law/son-in-law dynamic. Obviously fathers and sons is perhaps the ultimate preoccupation of power, but to be so into your son-in-law, when you have actual sons, just seems kind of unusual to me.

In Uganda the brother of the president runs the Football association, and another family member runs the state bank and so on and so on. Or at least it's something like that, bit iffy on the details.

Mugabe used to put the family members of his wives into the cabinet (and then have them "vanish" once he got tired of that particular wife).

Trump having his daughter and her husband in high profile roles without them having any qualification at all is very much like how banana republic dictators use to behave :D 

20 minutes ago, sne said:

In Uganda the brother of the president runs the Football association, and another family member runs the state bank and so on and so on. Or at least it's something like that, bit iffy on the details.

Mugabe used to put the family members of his wives into the cabinet (and then have them "vanish" once he got tired of that particular wife).

Trump having his daughter and her husband in high profile roles without them having any qualification at all is very much like how banana republic dictators use to behave :D 

The country I know most about where everything is 'in the family' is Cambodia, which is very much like this. Actually, now I think about it, some of the in-laws are in pretty plum positions there.

• Like 1

What I don't get is how United States citizens aren't more embarrassed. If I had Trump as an elected leader and had to watch that freak show week in and week out, I'd be in outrage or some sort of apathetic embarrassment mode. 

The country comes across as a banana republic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What I don't get is how United States citizens aren't more embarrassed. If I had Trump as an elected leader and had to watch that freak show week in and week out, I'd be in outrage or some sort of apathetic embarrassment mode. 

The country comes across as a banana republic. 

The last election was Trump vs the wife of an ex-president.

Trump had to beat the brother of an ex-president, who was also the son of a different ex-president, in order to face the wife of an ex-president.

Biden withdrew from the 1988 presidential race in disgrace after plagiarism and other issues. 

Democracy in a society with no class distinctions is wonderful.

Edited by villakram
splelling

Â