U.S. Politics

maqroll

25 minutes ago, villakram said:

Come on... you can do a lot better than a if Jack was Jill argument, e.g., what if Stalin was Churchill. Silly.

"Lesser..." That really depends on you you ask, e.g., Iraqi's, Syrians, Afganis, residents of New Orleans, those who lost friends and relatives during the 2008 financial crash or due to the opioid epidemic or the systematic discrimination of the black population imbedded and institutionalized by that bill.

But the point is whoever is chosen will be leading the agenda on race for the next few years so it is relevant who will do better.

Trump does have a public record on race as well remember, even if it wasn't as well enshrined in law as it has been over the last few years. I'm really not convinced if he'd had a seat at the table since the 80s he'd have done any better.

Edit - to clarify I should probably say I think you're right to question his record on race and he should confront it. No one will be helped if everything Biden has ever done wrong is ignored because it could be worse, I just can't help biting as I believe Trump is the worst case scenario

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Pretty crazy pay for police who don't even live in the city they serve by and large, in a city where the median income is around $50k. The OT pay alone is more than the average teacher's salary. People are getting their teeth kicked in for a hefty premium it seems.

The ‘occupy’/‘sit in’ taking place in Seattle at the moment is going to be interesting to watch. I think local government is planning to wait it out until the numbers die down and they can retake control but it’s been a bit of a red rag to a bull for the right wing commentators. Now Trump is threatening to put his boot in.

UPDATED: JUNE 11, 2020 5:01 PM EDT | ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: JUNE 11, 2020 2:26 PM EDT

Amid ongoing national protests over the death of George Floyd, activists in Seattle have declared an “autonomous zone” in a six-block area of the city’s Capitol Hill neighborhood. The move comes after the Seattle Police Department (SPD) beat a tactical retreat from its East Precinct in the historic district on Monday

https://time.com/5851774/seattle-police-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone/

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure where to post this as this isn't the US, but it seems like cops can't even be on their best behavior while the spotlight is on them.

My Canadian friend insists there is a similar problem with cops and indigenous peoples in Canada to the US and Black people. It might be hyperbole as he hates the police anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My Canadian friend insists there is a similar problem with cops and indigenous peoples in Canada to the US and Black people. It might be hyperbole as he hates the police anyway. 

It's very much true. The very day George Floyd was killed, Toronto cops pushed a young woman off her balcony and tried to claim she committed suicide. It's not scary to the point where you feel any innocuous interaction with the cops could be fatal like the US but it's still pretty bad.

And right on cue:

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Photos of defaced statue of Philly abolitionist Matthias Baldwin go viral
During the early days of unrest in Philadelphia stemming from the death of George Floyd, a statue of outspoken abolitionist Matthias Baldwin outside City Hall was defaced with the messages “colonizer” and “murderer.”

Nearly two weeks later, photos of the statue have gone viral online, causing some to think the vandalism occurred during peaceful protests in the city on Thursday. Fox News even aired a breaking news report about the graffiti Thursday.

The origin of the photos that have spread online are unknown. According to the city, the statue and others that were defaced during the weekend of May 30 — including a statue of former Philadelphia mayor Frank Rizzo that was subsequently removed — were immediately cleaned.

“We can confirm that the statue of Matthias Baldwin, along with other statues in the area of Philadelphia’s City Hall, was tagged with paint and graffiti at some point during the first days of protests that took place in Philadelphia,” a spokesperson for Mayor Jim Kenney’s office said. “There has been no subsequent vandalism of the Baldwin statue in recent days. So, while the Baldwin statue was in fact defaced, it did not take place yesterday as the tweet and accompanying image claim.”

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'd take anything Ian Miles Cheong says with a massive dollop of salt both about the man in question and the incident.

I have no idea who the guy is, just saw it and took it at face value. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I have no idea who the guy is, just saw it and took it at face value. 

Former Nazi and current right wing provocateur. But yeah, that shows the danger of taking things on social media at face value. Too many people trying to spread misinformation.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

But yeah, that shows the danger of taking things on social media at face value. Too many people trying to spread misinformation.

The statue was vandalised though, that wasn't misinformation. It was the timing that was out by a couple of weeks. 

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

The statue was vandalised though, that wasn't misinformation. It was the timing that was out by a couple of weeks. 

Paints a different picture though. We don't know the context of what happened 2 weeks ago or who did it, just that it happened. That was also way before this current trend of taking down/defacing statues. The timing is important.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Paints a different picture though. We don't know the context of what happened 2 weeks ago or who did it, just that it happened. That was also way before this current trend of taking down/defacing statues. The timing is important.

Looks like it was during the BLM/George Floyd protests of the weekend of 30/31 May. Peaceful protests turned into violence and looting. Not unexpected for Philadelphia as they trashed their own city when they won the Superbowl! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Bear in mind that acts like this could very well be right wing agitators, they are known to do this kind of thing to bring bad press on their enemies.

We have no other context other than "it was vandalized". Very disingenuous "reporting", which isn't surprising.

15 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My understanding of it from living there a couple of years, in BC, are that the First Nations community have had it even worse the most BAME folks around the world.

Whilst the majority of them community still live on "reservations" awarded to them by the government, paying little in the way of tax on fuel etc, those areas are apparently (the disclaimer being that I learned this there rather than being well read up on this so it's somewhat anecdotal) rife with unemployment, alcoholism, rape/incest and an epidemic of Fentanyl abuse.

How did they get into that position?  Have a read about the "Canadian Indian residential school system" and it'll probably make you cry.

• Like 3

Â