U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, villakram said:

The last election was Trump vs the wife of an ex-president.

Trump had to beat the brother of an ex-president, while also being the son of a different ex-president, in order to face Hillary.

Biden withdrew from the 1988 presidential race in disgrace after plagiarism and other issues. 

Democracy in a society with no class distinctions is wonderful.

So you aren’t embarrassed then? Or maybe you misread the question you quoted. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

So you aren’t embarrassed then? Or maybe you misread the question you quoted. 

I was expounding a little on just how ridiculous the situation is.

Embarrassment is for an individual to feel, the facts present more than enough information for that and many other emotions

So....... (sighs)

Trump's 1st rally after the Coronavirus lockdown will be in Tulsa Oklahoma. On June 19th.

June 19th just happens to be the date of the worst race massacre in history of the US. Which happened in Tulsa Oklahoma.

Is anyone surprised anymore? Is anyone in any doubt anymore? Is anyone disgusted anymore?

Edited by TheAuthority
rage typing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

So....... (sighs)

Trump's 1st rally after the Coronavirus lockdown will be in Tulsa Oklahoma. On June 19th.

June 19th just happens to be the date of the worst race massacre in history of the US. Which happened in Tulsa Oklahoma.

Is anyone surprised anymore? Is anyone in any doubt anymore? Is anyone disgusted anymore?

If I weren't busy crying, I'd be laughing.

I think @Nascar opened the biggest can of worms whey could find for a big part of their demographic.

edit, was aiming for the racism thread, ah well

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I think @Nascar opened the biggest can of worms whey could find for a big part of their demographic.

NASCAR is definitely something I don't get.  Who wants to watch cars just driving round in a circle for ages?

5 hours ago, Awol said:

I see the constitutional innovation of governance by Antifa is off to a good start in Seattle: 

😂

But Antifa doesn't exist according to some... it's quite interesting how little anger there is about this type of behavior, or at least anger that is being reported on.

I'm sure that will be a Stephen Miller special. Designed to further stoke tensions with enough plausible deniability due to Twitter character limits and 'how else could he shorten it'.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

6 minutes ago, villakram said:

But Antifa doesn't exist according to some... it's quite interesting how little anger there is about this type of behavior, or at least anger that is being reported on.

Trump called them terrorists. To criticise them now is to agree with Trump. On top of that BLM want to defund the police, and this is what it looks like when the mob takes control but disagreeing with BLM is verboten for the media. 

Will be funny to see how long they keep it up for (unless you live in Seattle). 

Antifa isn't a concrete organisation. There are no membership cards. They aren't particularly organised. Trump defining them as a terrorist organisation is a transparent method of being able to label anyone as a terrorist ultimately and charge them as such. 

Amusing to see them labelled as terrorists and other groups not, but ho hum, what do I know

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Trump called them terrorists. To criticise them now is to agree with Trump. On top of that BLM want to defund the police, and this is what it looks like when the mob takes control but disagreeing with BLM is verboten for the media. 

Will be funny to see how long they keep it up for (unless you live in Seattle). 

This is absolutely NOT what defund the police means.   It's a terrible choice of slogans because it makes it easy for people to lazily jump to the wrong conclusion, as you've just demonstrated.

Edited by il_serpente
clarity
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Antifa isn't a concrete organisation. There are no membership cards. They aren't particularly organised. Trump defining them as a terrorist organisation is a transparent method of being able to label anyone as a terrorist ultimately and charge them as such. 

Amusing to see them labelled as terrorists and other groups not, but ho hum, what do I know

Also, Antifa's game is generally counterprotesting against white supremacists and fascists (hence the name!), not taking over protests by people whose causes they agree with.  Not every person with anarchist beliefs and a violent bent are Antifa, but don't try telling that to Trump and his followers/enablers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

This is absolutely NOT what defund the police means.   It's a terrible choice of slogans because it makes it easy for people to jump to lazily jump to the wrong conclusion, as you've just demonstrated.

They all know that defund the police doesn't literally mean abolish it. But that doesn't suit the point being made.

Edited by StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

They all know that defund the police doesn't literally mean abolish it. But that doesn't suit the point being made.

This is one of the things I've been interested in (but not enough to bother google it apparently...) What does it actually mean and how will it work?

Genuinely interested, know nothing about how policing is funded or work in US

49 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Also what makes that guy in the video Antifa? Labeling anybody you don't like as part of this nebulous organization demonstrates exactly the point you're alluding to here.

50 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Also, Antifa's game is generally counterprotesting against white supremacists and fascists (hence the name!), not taking over protests by people whose causes they agree with.  Not every person with anarchist beliefs and a violent bent are Antifa, but don't try telling that to Trump and his followers/enablers.

‘Terrorist Organisation’ is a lazy and unhelpful label for any militant group. Antifa is a decentralized, revolutionary movement seeking the overthrow of capitalism by violent means. Terrorism is a tactic and Antifa certainly use it, But it is not in and of itself an an objective.

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Terrorism is a tactic and Antifa certainly use it, But it is not in and of itself an an objective.

Do you have an example? I don't think I've ever even seen 'them' directly accused of an act that would be considered anything more than base thuggery.

49 minutes ago, sne said:

This is one of the things I've been interested in (but not enough to bother google it apparently...) What does it actually mean and how will it work?

Genuinely interested, know nothing about how policing is funded or work in US

It appears to mean quite different things to different people. There's a useful overview of some of the range of practicalities in this article:

Growing calls to “defund the police,” explained

'Amid the anti-police brutality protests across the country, a once-obscure slogan is gaining traction: Defund the police.

[...]

A three-word slogan is not a detailed policy agenda, and not everyone using the slogan agrees on the details. The basic idea, though, is less that policing budgets should be literally zeroed out than that there should be a massive restructuring of public spending priorities. '

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/3/21276824/defund-police-divest-explainer

• Like 2

Â