U.S. Politics

maqroll

15 hours ago, Genie said:

I read that one of the 4 officers charged over the George Floyd killing was only on his 3rd day in the job. 

Its the one in the video who 2 times questions what the guy kneeling on him is doing 

Harsh that he will be branded in the same way 

Not sure if this has already been posted - following the video of the old guy who got pushed over 2 of the officers were suspended 

Yesterday 57 officers quit the riot response team in support of them (they're still employed, just on normal duty) 

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'll flip it and put my understanding of the other side

They have a justice system that largely seems based on finding someone guilty, not the actual person who committed the crime, just someone 

They have a prison system that is big business, it props up the economy and requires a huge number of bodies to feed it

They have a bail bond and plea deal system plus a court system that is bursting at the seams resulting in many people pleading guilty rather than waiting to prove their innocence because its quicker and cheaper 

They have laws that target certain communities, especially drug laws, weed and hippies, crack and blacks, they changed laws specifically to target people and increase the prison population 

As a result they have the scary crazy statistics about the 5% population but 25% of the world's prisoners, 1 in 16 men will go to jail, 1 in 3 Black men will go to jail... 

This is all before you throw in the history of police brutality... There's got to be a genuine fear over being arrested in the states if you are a black man, no such thing as a pop down the station 

You have cops who are convinced they're going to get shot given the chance, you have innocent civilians who are convinced they will be a prison statistic given the chance 

The whole thing is **** 

Don't forget that the country has been explicitly at war for the last 20 years. Over a million US citizens have been processed through the psychological trauma zones created by the war on terror and the Project for a New American Century inspired hubris.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'll flip it and put my understanding of the other side

They have a justice system that largely seems based on finding someone guilty, not the actual person who committed the crime, just someone 

They have a prison system that is big business, it props up the economy and requires a huge number of bodies to feed it

They have a bail bond and plea deal system plus a court system that is bursting at the seams resulting in many people pleading guilty rather than waiting to prove their innocence because its quicker and cheaper 

They have laws that target certain communities, especially drug laws, weed and hippies, crack and blacks, they changed laws specifically to target people and increase the prison population 

As a result they have the scary crazy statistics about the 5% population but 25% of the world's prisoners, 1 in 16 men will go to jail, 1 in 3 Black men will go to jail... 

This is all before you throw in the history of police brutality... There's got to be a genuine fear over being arrested in the states if you are a black man, no such thing as a pop down the station 

You have cops who are convinced they're going to get shot given the chance, you have innocent civilians who are convinced they will be a prison statistic given the chance 

The whole thing is **** 

Absolutely, and then on top of that you can add the in essence of American "Roo-ha!" culture - the "We kick ass" cowboy mentality that means that there's a feeling that cops should be delivering "justice" out there on the streets, not catching people for the court system - there seems to be a mentality amongst the police that they're still defending a frontier; one man with a badge and a gun. There's an awful lot that America needs to change before it can successfully change its police force - America needs its police to learn to police.

I don't live there, I don't really understand the problems, I'm looking in and guessing, but to me America seems a pretty broken place 

• Like 1

I’ve travelled extensively in the US. One thing I’ve always noted is how rare it is to see fights in public. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’ve been on Beale St, Yankee Stadium on a hot day with plenty of beer, indeed quite a few bars from Memphis to New Orleans Los Angeles, Vegas, Phoenix, and many more, not always in the best parts of town. But honestly, compared to a Saturday Night in any British Town very little aggro. The reason is, most Americans are well aware that the guy opposite just might be packing a gun. It’s one of the reasons the Police take absolutely no chances, to us their tactics seem over the top, as indeed they are, but it’s fed by that fear.

But then a considerable amount of there actions in 'quelling' 'riots' would seem to be very silly if you reckoned your opponent/'enemy' was looking to shoot you.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

But then a considerable amount of there actions in 'quelling' 'riots' would seem to be very silly if you reckoned your opponent/'enemy' was looking to shoot you.

Agreed, but it does tend to foster an overly aggressive stance from the police. It’s just one element I suppose.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its the one in the video who 2 times questions what the guy kneeling on him is doing 

Harsh that he will be branded in the same way 

I hope he's acquitted. It'll likely be the end of his 4 day career though.

15 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I’ve travelled extensively in the US. One thing I’ve always noted is how rare it is to see fights in public. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’ve been on Beale St, Yankee Stadium on a hot day with plenty of beer, indeed quite a few bars from Memphis to New Orleans Los Angeles, Vegas, Phoenix, and many more, not always in the best parts of town. But honestly, compared to a Saturday Night in any British Town very little aggro. The reason is, most Americans are well aware that the guy opposite just might be packing a gun. It’s one of the reasons the Police take absolutely no chances, to us their tactics seem over the top, as indeed they are, but it’s fed by that fear.

It's because Yanks handle their booze better than Brits 😜

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's because Yanks handle their booze better than Brits 😜

Or maybe they just know when they’ve had enough. Too many Brits think they’ve reached their limit when they literally can’t stand up anymore.😉

8 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Or maybe they just know when they’ve had enough. Too many Brits think they’ve reached their limit when they literally can’t stand up anymore.😉

I've watched a handful of "Closing time" videos in British cities and yikes, what a mess.

• Like 1

Â