Ashley Young

maqroll

He did well on the wing today, considering he's played mainly as a full back or wing back in the last few years he showed he can easily still play in attack. He also is a superb crosser and indirect free kick taker so I'd like to see him start against Watford as well.

Edited by RichiBoi11

14 hours ago, Jono62 said:

He's been amazing this pre-season. He honestly looks like he's 26 never mind 36. Quality player. 

Age is just a number. We're all different.

I'll be an Ash fanboy.

I do feel like I'm picking on El Ghazi, but apart from the penalty, he was lacking. Those free kicks and corners were pretty bad. Young always had great delivery for us, doing that whipped in ball where if no one touched it, it would go in the corner of the net.

2 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

I do feel like I'm picking on El Ghazi, but apart from the penalty, he was lacking. Those free kicks and corners were pretty bad. Young always had great delivery for us, doing that whipped in ball where if no one touched it, it would go in the corner of the net.

It's a great delivery. Keeper has to cover that side of the goal, or hope a defender heads it away. But any touch on it sends it to the other side of the goal. Nightmare for them.

Would welcome any kind of that from set pieces this season, expecially corners.

Based on what people have said about his performance, he starts left wing against Watford for me. Know he was there before us, but was he a childhood fan of theirs?

17 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Been saying all the time, and will say again: Ash will play almost all our games this season, independent of who else is available. 

When Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Watkins, Cash and Targett are all fit, where do you play Young?

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

When Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Watkins, Cash and Targett are all fit, where do you play Young?

On the left wing instead of playing anyone else there that doesn't play there naturally.

Would likely mean dropping one of Watkins or Ings, which I'm not sure Dean is going to do unless it fails miserably in the first few games. 

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

On the left wing instead of playing anyone else there that doesn't play there naturally.

Would likely mean dropping one of Watkins or Ings, which I'm not sure Dean is going to do unless it fails miserably in the first few games. 

Yeah, that's not happening. No way does he drop Watkins and Ings hasn't come to be on the bench. Young is a brilliant option off the bench, but no way does he "play all out games" as the original post said. 

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Yeah, that's not happening. No way does he drop Watkins and Ings hasn't come to be on the bench. Young is a brilliant option off the bench, but no way does he "play all out games" as the original post said. 

I think the OP is expecting him to play until the players you mentioned are all fit, which is likely to be at least a few games in... by which time he'll have made himself undroppable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I think the OP is expecting him to play until the players you mentioned are all fit, which is likely to be at least a few games in... by which time he'll have made himself undroppable.

He / she said "independent of who else is available". Which I inferred as meaning even if everyone is fit, Young still starts. Perhaps I've misinterpreted. 

• Like 1

His inclusion for me depends on the structure. If we are going with both Watkins and Ings in a two, then as more of a natural winger he starts over El Ghazi, who is and always will be a forward.

In a 4-3-3 I would prefer El Ghazi, although actually I would much prefer Watkins in off the left. 

Either way, very useful player to have. 

• Like 2

I'll eat my humble pie...  I was 100% against this signing when it was announced, but Young has looked phenomenal this preseason.  Plays like he is 26 and not 36 and is in amazing shape.  He's lost a bit of his pace, but it's so strange watching him dribble down the left side of the pitch again.  It's like seeing a ghost...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

He's better than Cash or Targett as full back. He's also better wide attacking player than any of our midfielders. I also think he's more proven than Bailey or Buendia,  I'd have him on the team sheet befose them. So, basically anywhere.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

He's better than Cash or Targett as full back. He's also better wide attacking player than any of our midfielders. I also think he's more proven than Bailey or Buendia,  I'd have him on the team sheet befose them. So, basically anywhere.

Big shout. Couldn't disagree more, but that's the joy of a forum I guess! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I mean...yeah

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

His defensive stats as a full back are really quite poor,  which is not to say he's a bad full back, just a totally different one from Targett. His offensive stats, on the other hand, are phenomenal. It could also be that as an Inter Milan player, he didn't have opportunity to demonstrate any defensive capabilities, so maybe he is better defensive than I expect.

I think:

- he'll rotate with Targett against certain opposition

- he'd be first choice left back if we go 5 at the back at any point

- he is, as you say, a better wide left player than anyone else we have currently, and so will probably play left wing if we go for one up front with wingers.

- however,  when we have 3 up front, and play 4 at the back, I think this is where he'll struggle to get a spot. I also think this is going to be Dean's preferred formation. 

I guess what will be really interesting,  is the fact that Bailey and Buendia may both miss our first game or 2, and it will probably give Young the chance to prove he can work in a 4-3-3... how he takes that chance we shall see. 

• Like 2

Â