Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I thank him for giving us that goal back in the Championship. Probably wouldn't have gone up if we lost that one. Remember watching that in Greece with a load of smelly Leeds fans, many moons ago,

One of the few honest people in football. I think he did a fantastic job for Leeds but his failure to adapt has cost him his job. Depoending on who the choose they have a better chance of staying up now!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Took a club almost 20 years of dross and losing. Played football the championship has never seen before. United a fan base. Got them promoted. Kept them up with some garbage garbage mid-table Championship footballers.

His stint should be celebrated.

Rarely agree with you pal but well said. Hope they build him a statue and retire that bucket.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Deffo Phillips. Word is we were close to signing him last season till his nan talked him out of it. Leeds fan or no, he's too good for the Championship, so if they go down he'll be off. 

I'd be shocked if he didn't end up at one of the top 6 clubs , same for Raphina 

Edited by AVFCforever1991

One of my favourite coaches ever but a stubborn stubborn man. He however got league 1 standard players going toe to toe with the likes of Liverpool and Billion dollar Pep especially last season. 

His methods at a top club with a strong squad would have been interesting. Or if he had started to bring in Premier league standard players to replace some of his squad.

Wish him well as his teams are entertaining to watch. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, sne said:

Hope they don't get Jesse Marsch. Not that he's a sure thing success but I'd rather they went for someone less interesting and boring.

Every time I hear that name I think of StreetHawk 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, sne said:

Hope they don't get Jesse Marsch. Not that he's a sure thing success but I'd rather they went for someone less interesting and boring.

He'll probably be a lot more receptive to their transfer targets as well.

Bielsa obviously nuts and only wanted certain players like Dan James or whoever.

They were linked strongly with loads of great players and I think he vetoed a lot of them.

I’m surprised they have got rid of him, they are in a bad run of form but I think he would have turned it around, doesn’t help when his 2 best players have been injured for ages in Phillips and Bamford, can see them going down now 

I think he's overrated, but he's a good coach and done a really good job at Leeds - taken an average team of dross, implemented his methods and taken roughly the same group to where they are now.

His downfall has been that he refused to change the style despite the problems this season. He needed investment in the summer and didnt get it - the squad is paper-thin, and his style almost demands rotation. When they're on it they're incredibly exciting, but when the players are burnt out and it's going wrong then it's going to end in disaster. They blitzed the Championship, but once better coaches, managers and players worked out how to play them they arent good enough.

The clubs problem now is that that squad is built to play "BIELSA BALL!!!"  and no other way. Their individual players and collective positions are bang average apart from Phillips and Raphina. No idea if Marsch is any good or not, but they'd better hope he is or else they'll be mid table in the Championship again in 12 months.

Couldn't happen to a deserving club, media darlings, bunch of scummy players (notable mentions for Bamford and Ayling) and supporters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I thank him for giving us that goal back in the Championship. Probably wouldn't have gone up if we lost that one. Remember watching that in Greece with a load of smelly Leeds fans, many moons ago,

Wasn't that a meaningless game? Play offs were secured.

• Like 2

In a way it's sad, he's an extraordinary character, someone who thinks about, loves and wants to change football and I liked him. The league will be a little less without what he brings.

But this period of twelve games to the end of the season is now going to be absolutely key for Leeds United.

It's a squad that he drilled a very specific method into - he's improved a lot of them, but this is still a squad with a lot of players that aren't quite from the top drawer - the team got by because of the way they played, not how good the individuals are - that was his philosophy - team, team, team.

It's going to be very hard for a manager with a more regular style of football to get a bounce out of players that aren't necessarily of the quality needed to play a more regular style of football - and it's going to be almost impossible for a new manager to replicate Bielsa's style. 

To become a normal football club, and crucially a normal football club that can succeed at this level, they're going to need a big rebuild - six or seven starters in the summer - but if the new manager can't find a way to tighten things up and win a couple of the next twelve - that rebuild is going to be very difficult to do in the Championship.

Leeds have twelve games to reinvent themselves, find a style that works for the players they've got and try to finish ahead of a Burnley side that are just two points behind them with two games in hand.

It'll be a rollercoaster, but then with Leeds, it seems like it always is.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Leeds have twelve games to reinvent themselves, find a style that works for the players they've got and try to finish ahead of a Burnley side that are just two points behind them with two games in hand.

And one of those games Burnley have in hand is against us and even when we play them off the park we still somehow don't beat them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the only surprising thing about this is that it took this long for the implosion to occur.

Horrible club, horrible fans and I really do hope they go down.

They got helped by Covid as it allowed them a break to stay fresh 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Wasn't that a meaningless game? Play offs were secured.

Yeah, you’re correct, a position in the play offs was confirmed with the tenth victory against Millwall.

If Leeds had won that game, the table after 45 games would have been -

2 Sheff Utd 88 

3 Leeds 85 

4 WBA 80

5 Villa 75

6 Derby 70

7 Boro 70

At that point Derby had played 44 matches, so they could have swapped places with us if they’d won both but they didn’t, they ended on 74 points. Leeds would have needed to overcome a difference of 12 goals to overtake Sheffield United in their final game so it was kind of a dead rubber for them too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Bielsa leaving the team in 17th place after a horror run of results and Leeds fans are despondent over the sacking. 

Cult of personality!

To be fair, Leeds have had some real shit to put up with since the DOL years. We were pretty despondent after a couple of years in the Championship and staring bankruptcy in the face, Leeds have been down a lot lower and for a lot longer. I imagine they never saw themselves getting back to the top table, and Bielsa managed that. They would look like ungrateful sods if they had turned on him.

• Like 2

Â