Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

57 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t remember McAllister managing them?!

He did.... Here is an extract from Wiki

After almost four years out of the game, McAllister was appointed manager of another of his former clubs as a player, Leeds United, on 29 January 2008 with an initial contract until the end of the season.[9] The club was sitting in sixth place after former boss Dennis Wise's surprise departure to Newcastle. McAllister's first game came four days after his appointment, a 1–0 away defeat to Southend United.[34] Leeds lost their next game 2–0 to Tranmere Rovers and slipped to eighth. The new manager bagged his first win at the fifth attempt, in a 1–0 away victory over Swindon Town,[35] before following it up with his first home victory against AFC Bournemouth, in which Leeds beat the relegation-threatened side 2–0.[36]

Leeds chairman Ken Bates rewarded McAllister for his hard work and the team's good form – just two defeats in 12 games – by offering him a new 12-month rolling contract on 3 April 2008.[37] Bates cited McAllister's general improvement of team performances and his planning for the club's future as reasons for offering him the new contract.[38] Leeds secured a spot in the play-offs with a 1–0 at Yeovil Town on 25 April 2008, but they lost 1–0 to Doncaster Rovers in the play-off final.[10] During his second season as manager, McAllister was sacked on 21 December 2008 after a poor string of results;[39] these included an FA Cup defeat to part-time club Histon and culminated with a 3–1 loss to MK Dons.[10][39]

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cyrusr said:
Leeds bosses with best win rates
Manager Games Wins Losses Win %
Don Revie 740 395 148 53.4%
Gary McAllister 50 25 17 50%
David O'Leary 203 101 55 49.8%
Simon Grayson 169 84 45 49.7%
Marcelo Bielsa 169 80 56 47.3%
* Includes only bosses who managed more than 50 games

Not as good as DOL or Simon Grayson... :crylaugh:

Is that comparing wins in different leagues though?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Is that comparing wins in different leagues though?

Yeah it will be so will include Leeds in championship etc. 

More of a dig of him being the “saviour” but doesn’t do as well as DOL for them.

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

Yeah it will be so will include Leeds in championship etc. 

More of a dig of him being the “saviour” but doesn’t do as well as DOL for them.

I don't know, I think you'd have to look at more of the circumstances around it to make use of that data, like the state the team was in when each manager took over. I think I'd prefer Bielsa as manager to DOL regardless of that stat. You could make a pretty good argument that it was O Leary's transfer spend that put Leeds in the doldrums for years. 

Edited by LondonLax

11 hours ago, Xela said:

First of all, I think Bielsa did a great job all things said. Getting them to 9th last year was some achievement. It's fallen apart this year as you can only get so much out of players like that. Majority of them are Championship quality. 

The thing that annoys me though, and its not Bielsa's fault, is the wankfest surrounding Leeds as a club and him as a manager. Completely over the top. Leeds have spent as long outside the top division as they have in it. They're not a special club. 

And, I don't think Bielsa was a likable manager in a way that Hassenhutl or Dean Smith are.

He was spying on teams, going for gung ho tactics for no clear reason, selected FIFA best for no clear reason, made a big deal out of giving Villa a "free goal" in that infamous game. And he sat on a bucket.

As an outside fan, I can appreciate it was entertaining, but not an example to follow. Just like Klopp stopped being likeable sometime in his 2nd season at plop, I don't think Bielsa was likeble to an outside fan.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

Wonder if the media wank fest will stop now Bielsa is gone or just carry on like it always has?

I think he’s untouchable in the minds of the media to be honest. Other than when managing Argentina and to a lesser extent Chile, he’s not really had great stats, especially at club management. I think many fans can appreciate that he’s a very knowledgeable guy and has changed the game to a certain extent, but he’s not the messiah he’s made out to be by many pundits to be in my opinion.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The praising of Leeds will surely end. I can see their new manager Jesse Marsch quickly become the most ridiculed man in English football. And for good reason.

Surely just speaking English would’ve been better, rather than a garbled mix of English and German! 😆 

31 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The praising of Leeds will surely end. I can see their new manager Jesse Marsch quickly become the most ridiculed man in English football. And for good reason.

He’s honestly like some satirical character. Gonna be a wild ride if he’s appointed. 

32 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Steve McLaren is his hero

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Recommend watching with auto-generated English subtitles

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Unser junge sind schnell als windhund und stark als Kruppstahl

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He is doomed. If he says soccer even once after is appointed he's done for. 

• Haha 1

Â