Ashley Westwood

Nabby

The debate about Westwood v Sanchez is quite funny.

Westwood is criticised because he is rather ordinary and never outstanding. Sanchez is held up as some who CAN be Outstanding but who has often been absolutely terrible.

For me Westwood is dependable, where as Sanchez can be a liability.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

I want to see some goals from Westy this season. No messing around just **** that ball into the net.

I want him to stick to his knitting as a defensive midfielder and do that job well. Goals would be a bonus but there are others we should look to first.

Westwood is a player who can improve. If he does, he will be a cracking little player. Right now I rate him highly, and I base it on the fact that he never does anything wrong.

I will eat my hat here, but I challange anybody to think of any major Westwood mistakes, something that cost us a goal or a performance that has affected the end result.

Truth is, I cant think of one. He is reliable, smart and likable. I do not understand why he is rated so low by some on here, as in my eyes, the guys biggest problem is that he is not as good as some of us want him to be.

I would also like to remind you, he is a player of the team that finished lowest in the league without being relegated. He is no Matic.

plenty of instances over the last few seasons where as the player sitting deep and screening the back 4 he has let opposition players get past and go on to score. its the weakest part of his game - hes very good at pointing at an opposition midfield runner instead of tracking him.

hes tidy enough with the ball, but i feel he lacks a bit of strength, pace and general dynamism. too often games can pass him by.

• Like 3

So I'm not never positive but I'm overly negative and I receive congratulations for finding something positive. Hmmm? About as contradiction as it's likely to get.

There's nothing contradictory about that. Overly negative doesn't mean never positive. Being negative 95% of the time and then throwing in the odd "good assist" comment doesn't magically mean you have a balanced viewpoint. Again, this is something you've admitted to so I'm not sure why you're even arguing against it.

Perhaps it's your opinion of my posts that is pointless arguing against. Ive made a number of positive posts that have gone unnoticed recently. (Well they may have been noticed but they certainly weren't acknowledged. Quite ironic as well that those posts have been written when there's actually things to be positive about.

Sure they don't have to be acknowledged but I'm going to highlight them in my defence when people write drivel like I believe you just have.

See above. The odd token positive post doesn't make your overall viewpoint a balanced one.

As for having a vendetta against westwood. Ridiculous. Just ridiculous. For the vast majority of my week - all but about 90 mins tbh - I have little or no interest in him really, like all the players.

I just don't think he's particular good at football. If you believe that's a vendetta, so be it.

And if I had this vendetta, would I hold my hands up like I did a year or so ago and say - 'do you know what, perhaps I have been a little critical'.

I deliberately didn't use the word "vendetta". You're the only one who has said that.

But it's incredibly obvious that you have something against him, even if that something is such a determination to be proved right that you see the negatives in his game and not the positives.

You keep going on about us wanting to change your mind. I don't. I've said on many occasion that I don't pay much attention to what you post in this thread because it's bollocks (imo of course) and you're never going to change your mind. Which is your prerogative, but like I said in my OP, it makes debating the player a pretty pointless exercise because you're so engrained in your self confessed overly negative opinion of the guy.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Westwood is criticised because he is rather ordinary and never outstanding. Sanchez is held up as some who CAN be Outstanding but who has often been absolutely terrible.

......one has presence and one is rather light in comparison, but that player is a better passer.....its subjective.

but like all our players over the years, one has one attribute and another has another.....take your pick.

we don't have enough complete players, that what we are striving for.

Thought Ash had a solid game. Always there as an out when playing from the back. Also already seems to have a good combination with Veretout. A lot of slick little interchanges between those two. Thought it was a solid game for him, not his best by any stretch but the work he does helps us play better football

......one has presence and one is rather light in comparison, but that player is a better passer.....its subjective.

but like all our players over the years, one has one attribute and another has another.....take your pick.

we don't have enough complete players, that what we are striving for.

If Sanchez ever adds consistency to his game in a Villa shirt then I think he'd be head and shoulders above Westwood.

But so far he's lacked that woefully. When he's good he's great but when he's bad he's a liability. And the bad days far outnumber the good.

Even when Westwood doesn't shine, he'll put in a half decent performance. He's not amazing, but he's comfortably a better option than Sanchez at the moment.

Westwood is a player who can improve. If he does, he will be a cracking little player. Right now I rate him highly, and I base it on the fact that he never does anything wrong.

I will eat my hat here, but I challange anybody to think of any major Westwood mistakes, something that cost us a goal or a performance that has affected the end result.

Whats classed as major? Anything he did wrong which led to a goal? (although i still dont think that can be classed as major)

MNF did a 5 minute talk about aston villa vs QPR. Lambert tactic was to have westwood to get really tight to zamora when QPR were playing it long so he couldnt bring the ball down etc. MNF picked up on that he didnt bother on one or two occasions (i cant remember the exact goal tbh, think zamora took it down and passed to austin? or maybe he flicked it on, cant remember) which led to them scoring (or increased the % of them scoring whichever way you want to look at it, the latter is better for obvious reasons). So i guess that could be put down to a quite big mistake on his part not following the tactics the manager gave him.

note: I do not that think that makes him any less consistent or that i dont rate him. I really do like him.  You just put up a challenge so thought i would try. This thread discussion is aids.

Edited by gharperr

Delighted.

Think he deserves it and it's good to see us getting people like him and Clark sorted now rather than leaving it too late like with Delph.

It also shows the benefit of the new structure at the club, we are sorting deals for existing players at the same time as bringing people in.

In the past it's almost felt like it was one then the other.

The good news keeps on coming, unless you are one of those hoping to see him replaced I guess.

• Like 2