Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Though mostly anonymous he did well to win the corner and it was a decent corner too. 

Other than that I thought Gana and Veretout showed him up a little with their energy and indeed quality. Sanchez also. I've seen better from Westwood and will see better again I'm sure. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I'm not a big fan of Westwood taking corners, prefer a player that whips the ball in with a curl. One of my fav corner takers has to be Robin Van Perse, the whip he gets is unreal and hard for players to defend against

He is a good squad player but i wouldnt start him. Dont think Sanchez is the answer either mind you.

I've seen enough from Sanchez to see he is a player. Some foreign player need a year to settle in this country and he has that now. I think he will be a big player for us.

• Like 1

I've seen better from Westwood but on the whole what we saw today is normally what we get. Which is why people do not rate him.

Indeed, just the usual 'meh' display. Recycled the ball well a few times but leaves a lot to be desired defensively - doesn't close space as he should. Great shame we weren't able to land Cambiasso, he would've been perfect. As with you, my hope rests with Sanchez although he has been unfortunate to not have much of a preseason again.

As for the corner, the delivery technique isn't in itself a problem. For the goal it was the usual 'chip in' with little backlift but this time it was a much flatter trajectory which made it ideal to attack. Different from his signature floaty ones that took about ten years to fall from the sky.

Edited by Isa

Can't help but think for all his tidy play we can do a lot better in that position which would in turn make such a difference to the team - a bit of a budget, legacy player from the Lambert era.

• Like 2

He's a decent player but I feel he is one of our weaker player now, We should look to improve when the opportunity arises. 

• Like 1

I would imagine that yesterday's goal is what we've been trying to achieve for so long with these corners. It must work in training, but then I imagine that Benteke and co would have an easier time attacking the ball on the training pitch than in a competitive game. The stupidity was persisting with it for so long without variation.

Gestede showed something I haven't seen since Carew and Laursen, and that's a willingness to properly attack the ball in the box. No way was he going to miss that, but it was also great to see that the next man in-line was Micah Richards.

We'll be alright with Westwood's corners this season. It's a bit like our throw-ins. It's not the person taking the throw, more the people in-line to receive the ball. Maybe with Rudy and Micah, we have two people that really will show the desire to get onto a straight, driven ball into the box. We'll still need to vary the deliveries up using Gil, Bacuna and Grealish, but I'm confident we'll see less of the WDFAFC's this year.

That alone should add another missing 10 goals this season, and that will make a huge difference in a closely bunched pack in the table.

• Like 2

I like him. I think he is solid and dependable. Rarely gives the ball away. I think he got himself a tag as someone that would only pass the ball sideways and backwards due to a lack of movement up front and the negative tactics of the previous manager. In terms of passing ability I would say he is the best player we have at the club.

Yesterday he was quite in the first half but the whole team was pretty poor and at times Bournemouth really gave us the run around. Gueye is clearly a player who likes to put himself about and hassle the opposition but this really isn't Westwood's game so when we don't have the ball he isn't as noticeable. Positionally though I think he reads the game well and breaks up play just by being in he right place. Petrov had a similar knack.

I think he has a big part to play for us this season and based on the current squad he would start more often than not for me.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

He's a budget player in price only.

If we'd spent 5 million on him, he wouldn't get that tag IMO

Then he'd be an overpriced player, like NRC.

You think 5 mil is overpriced for him?

Considering what non-established PL players go for these days, I think you're utterly wrong.

Rodwell, what? 10mil?

Allen, 18m?

Edited by StefanAVFC

He's a budget player in price only.

If we'd spent 5 million on him, he wouldn't get that tag IMO

Then he'd be an overpriced player, like NRC.

You think 5 mil is overpriced for him?

Considering what non-established PL players go for these days, I think you're utterly wrong.

You can think what you want, but as he's a Villa player it'll be prone to bias. £5 million is on the high side for him now, but in the world where Raheem Sterling goes for £49 million it's not out of the question. He's a solid, dependable player who's good to have in the squad of a mid-lower end team but if you're looking to push on (which I hope we are) there are better players out there in that position who do a bit more than than the neat and tidy stuff.