Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I repeat, if Joe Allen can go for 18 million then there's not a chance in the world that '5 million is on the high side for now'

Proper tripe.

Yes, because most teams apply the 'Liverpool method' in valuing players don't they..

He can't win though can he?

We spend 500k on him, he's a cheap, naff signing.

We spend 5 million (in your, wrong IMO, opinion) and he's overpriced.

I don't think he's a cheap naff signing at all, he's a solid player. My original point was if we want to push on we can get better in that position, not a player who was bought under the constraints of the Lambert budget era (and in hindsight we got a bit more than what we paid for).

Yes, because most teams apply the 'Liverpool method' in valuing players don't they..

Erm, when it comes to English players? Yes, yes they do. English players of a certain age are often more expensive than their continental counterparts.

Westwood is worth at least £8 million by today's standards, I'd say. He's much better than a lot of people think, he just doesn't have a flashy role. Quite unbelievable that some people are picking on him when he provided the assist for the goal yesterday. Westwood is suffering from Petrov-itis, it would seem.

I'd be happily surprised if a team paid that much for him. There are plenty of tidy midfielders in the Championship, as you can see from the promoted sides. I don't think getting an assist bans people from looking at ways to improve the team, and if that means having a player different to Westwood then so be it. Given he takes the majority of the corners, I'd be hoping for an assist now and again too.

Edited by jonno_2004

I don't think he's a cheap naff signing at all, he's a solid player. My original point was if we want to push on we can get better in that position, not a player who was bought under the constraints of the Lambert budget era (and in hindsight we got a bit more than what we paid for).

A bit more?

Absolute nonsense.

For a 500k player, we've got far more than a 'bit more' than we paid for.

With Bowery we got 'a bit more' than we paid for.

A bit more?

Absolute nonsense.

We didn't get anything from bowery

We paid less than a million for him.

He contributed with a couple of good performances in our staying up in Lambert's first season. In the grand scheme of things, he paid his fee and a bit more.

Off topic mind.

I've no problem with people thinking Westwood isn't a long term fit in our midfield.

But I do have a problem with people thinking that Sanchez, at this point in time, is the better option.

Sanchez has to do a hell of a lot more in a Villa shirt to be first choice.

• Like 2

A bit more?

Absolute nonsense.

You've definitely got the thesaurus out today haven't you.

We paid £500k for Westwood, and we got a solid player who would be sold for more than £500k at today's prices. How much more would be determined by forces in the transfer market at the time. Whether that value would be 'overpriced' or not is left to be seen. He's been part of a team that has been best of the rest for 3 years largely pulled along by an excellent Benteke in which he has made a decent contribution.

HighlightING that there are other players who go for ridiculous prices doesn't mean that Westwood wouldn't be overpriced at 5m.

'Overpriced' may not be the perfect term to describe Stefan's point, as I don't think he's talking about value. In a world where Jake Livermore is 'worth' £8m, surely Westwood's market value would be at least £5m?

• Like 1

HighlightING that there are other players who go for ridiculous prices doesn't mean that Westwood wouldn't be overpriced at 5m.

'Overpriced' may not be the perfect term to describe Stefan's point, as I don't think he's talking about value. In a world where Jake Livermore is 'worth' £8m, surely Westwood's market value would be at least £5m?

Exactly.

He's far better than Livermore anyway. If someone came in with an offer, we can just point to Rodwell/Livermore and set our price.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends whether teams are silly enough to pay that much for the likes of Livermore, or look abroad for better value.

Yeah of course it does. That's how prices are set in any type of market. It's all relative.

Westwood is a lot better than many here give him credit for, however.

Edited by Ginko

It does not really matter how much we paid for him. He is a decent squad player, nothing more. Mostly completely ineffective, and the last survivor of the worst midfield I can recall at the club.

How much do I think it would *likely* take to buy a player of an equal standard to Westwood on the continent?

About £5m.

How much would I want for him? £8m.

Hope that helps!

I think he's a good player with potential. I think he suffered under Lambert as much as anyone in his final season, he was asked to sit, static in a static midfield, and his ineffectiveness to penetrate stood out like a sore thumb. He became crab like.

He improved tenfold under Sherwood, perhaps because as the "metronome", the sitting player, he finally had an actual role to play. It was appreciated.

I think we could improve on him but if I'm straight, I think it's less of a priority than even the keeper.

I get the impression that TS likes the look of the 2 young lads, Calder and can't remember the other one, and sees them as pushing to be in the squad/team by the end of the season.

He ssems to like pace and mobility in midfield as well, maybe he thinks that Westwood is dispensable.

Hes an ok player, no more no less.Still would offer him to Swansea for Ki tbh.

It does not really matter how much we paid for him. He is a decent squad player, nothing more. Mostly completely ineffective, and the last survivor of the worst midfield I can recall at the club.

I don't get this line of thinking. He's a decent squad player, when based on his performances to date he's our first choice midfielder? Just because we signed some players in that position doesn't change his standing until they oust him from that starting XI with their performances as Tim Sherwood rightly pointed out.