Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Honestly, there's really not that much in it between them in terms of ability. Put Ki in our sides from the past couple of years and he'd get the same non sequiturs like "he's okaaay but doesn't affect the game" and "had a good game today, but squad player at best" leveled at him. 

I guess some players just never get the credit they deserve. He had a 91% pass accuracy, made 2 tackles, 1 interception and got an assist. He also was pushed out to cover the right side when Sanchez came on and got into good positions especially when he won the corner, that ball in was a peach and just needed someone to gamble at the front post.

• Like 2

I guess some players just never get the credit they deserve. He had a 91% pass accuracy, made 2 tackles, 1 interception and got an assist. He also was pushed out to cover the right side when Sanchez came on and got into good positions especially when he won the corner, that ball in was a peach and just needed someone to gamble at the front post.

Well we're kinda talking about something else but I've gave him credit for his assist.

Can't say I'm going to be shouting from the rooftops about a couple of tackles and an interception.

• Like 1

Honestly, there's really not that much in it between them in terms of ability. Put Ki in our sides from the past couple of years and he'd get the same non sequiturs like "he's okaaay but doesn't affect the game" and "had a good game today, but squad player at best" leveled at him. 

In fact, didn't Lambert go in for him last year? Would've been direct replacement for Westwood I imagine.

In fact, didn't Lambert go in for him last year? Would've been direct replacement for Westwood I imagine.

Lambert had no discernable football philosophy, so that's a bit of a reach IMO.

Can't say I'm going to be shouting from the rooftops about a couple of tackles and an interception.

And the 91% pass accuracy? Or did you conveniently leave that out?

Jesus, what do you expect from the lad playing with two new partners in midfield as well as new teammates in various other parts of the pitch and in a position which is one of the least flashy in the starting eleven?

Tackles, interceptions and passing are his job. That's the role he plays and he did it well yesterday.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

Jesus, what do you expect from the lad playing with two new partners in midfield as well as new teammates in various other parts of the pitch and in a position which is one of the least flashy in the starting eleven?

Tackles, interceptions and passing are his job. That's the role he plays and he did it well yesterday.

What 2 tackles and 1 interception? Wow.

I'm not sure what your point is really and why its aimed at me. I haven't said anything bad about Westwood in terms of yesterday. I'm just saying that 2 tackles and 1 interception is barely worth shouting about.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what your point is really and why its aimed at me. I haven't said anything bad about Westwood in terms of yesterday. I'm just saying that 2 tackles and 1 interception is barely worth shouting about.

Well one point was that you left out his pass accuracy, which you did again on your last post. That's an impressive percentage. Passing is the main part of his game and he excelled at it yesterday considering it wasn't the easiest of games due to many factors. He also got the assist in the game, so if two tackles and an interception don't wow you, maybe focus on the assist for the winning goal which got is three points and the high passing stat rather than focusing on what you personally see as unimpressive.

We won the game for crying out loud and he played well. He's not going to be the best midfielder you'll ever see in the shirt but he is a good player and the role he performs is understated and underrated.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

I get the impression that TS likes the look of the 2 young lads, Calder and can't remember the other one, and sees them as pushing to be in the squad/team by the end of the season.

He ssems to like pace and mobility in midfield as well, maybe he thinks that Westwood is dispensable.

Even though he directly said 'if anybody gets into Westwood's place in the midfield, he's going to have to a very good player indeed' paraphrased.

Clearly doesn't think he's dispensable does he?

Well one point was that you left out his pass accuracy, which you did again on your last post. That's an impressive percentage. Passing is the main part of his game and he excelled at it yesterday considering it wasn't the easiest of games due to many factors. He also got the assist in the game, so if two tackles and an interception don't wow you, maybe focus on the assist for the winning goal which got is three points and the high passing stat rather than focusing on what you personally see as unimpressive.

We won the game for crying out loud and he played well. He's not going to be the best midfielder you'll ever see in the shirt but he is a good player and the role he performs is understated and underrated.

Read the thread. You will see that I focused on the assist.

Again, the rest of your post seems to be a misplaced rant.

I'm not arguing that he had a bad game. I just responded to a poster who highlighted 2 tackles and 1 interception. That's all. I didn't acknowledge the 91% passing because I had nothing to say on that point.

Read the thread. You will see that I focused on the assist.

Again, the rest of your post seems to be a misplaced rant.

I'm not arguing that he had a bad game. I just responded to a poster who highlighted 2 tackles and 1 interception. That's all. I didn't acknowledge the 91% passing because I had nothing to say on that point.

He highlighted 2 tackles and an interception describing why he did his job, as well as the assist and passing %.

You omitted it.

Then why even focus on the tackles and interception if you praised him for the assist when it won us the game? And why not praise him for the high pass accuracy when it's the main part of his role?

It just seems a bit daft to be mentioning stuff like that when he did a lot of good in the game too. Westwood gets some unfair criticism in my view.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Then why even focus on the tackles and interception if you praised him for the assist when it won us the game? And why not praise him for the high pass accuracy when it's the main part of his role?

It just seems a bit daft to be mentioning stuff like that when he did a lot of good in the game too. Westwood gets some unfair criticism in my view.

Some?

Constantly slated since he's been here. I don't understand why.

Some?

Constantly slated since he's been here. I don't understand why.

While I think he's a solid, tidy player and has done a decent job at times in difficult circumstances, it isn't the fault of others if you can't understand that some people will a) highlight they want a greater contribution from him, or b. they feel he can be improved on, like a lot of players we've seen the past few years.

People (not you by the way) digging out the Petrov argument is also rather silly - we were perceived to be challenging for the top 4 and fans arguably wanted more from a seasoned international they thought was brought in to create rather than recycle the ball. Totally different scenarios (and eras!)

Edited by jonno_2004
  • Like 1