Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think Sherwood makes a few tongue in cheek statements like only English players from now....back to Westwood, I like where he said it will take some good performances to wrestle the shirt off him.....You can see that TS is trying to get that competitive EDGE back in to our game.

We have been a blunt chisel for too long.

When the attitude of some players makes you wonder if its all worth it.....The likes of Westwood make you think again, that it is.

Great attitude.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Westwood was a part timer last season, it will surprise me if he plays more in this team.

He made 32 appearances last season.

He lost his place early in Sherwood's time here then won it back with the manager singing his praises.

In a much less competitive midfield.

Westwood was a part timer last season, it will surprise me if he plays more in this team.

He lost his place early in Sherwood's time here then won it back with the manager singing his praises.

Wasn't your original point though was it?

You said he was a part timer last year. You've been proven wrong so you're changing the goalposts  :thumb:

Sherwood has come out publicly praising Westwood and more or less implied that he's a starter and could only be replaced by someone special. 

I think we'll see a lot of Westwood this season. Especially when we have a lot of new players settling in, Sherwood will value having a steady and reliable metronome/distribution centre in midfield. 

Wasn't your original point though was it?

You said he was a part timer last year. You've been proven wrong so you're changing the goalposts  :thumb:

Can I not make seperate points Stefan? That said, Ive not been proven wrong either. He wasnt an automatic starter. Seems you're confusing me for someone who thinks commenting on a player is a competitive endeavor?

Struggling to see how that is of any relevance to the factually incorrect point you made. He wasn't a part timer last season. 

It remains to be seen if he is this season but he started on Saturday, he is on the verge of a new deal and will start on Friday so rather seems its his place to lose right now.

Always liked him.  He needed to add tenacity and strength to his game and he seems to have done that since the end of last season.  Playing with Gueye and Veretout will also make him a better player.

• Like 2

Is the midfield really any more competitive? Let alone much more, we've lost two first team central midfielders and signed two central midfielders unless I'm forgetting someone.

With the pending signing of Adama and even Praet, yes it is. Also, Sanchez was Westwoods only real competition last year, now we can add Gueye and Veretout to the list of players who can fill that role.

I will defer to Trents appearance tally, but how many of those was as a sub and how many was he subbed off...

With all this said, i am pleased with the extension, and hope he plays so consistently well that some of,the new boys cant get a league start...i just am not convinced he will be a regular starter once Gueye and Veretout settle in.

I will defer to Trents appearance tally, but how many of those was as a sub and how many was he subbed off...

2 appearances as a sub.

And he averaged 81 minutes a game, including those two subsitute appearances which would have taken the average down, so safe to say he wasn't subbed off much at all.

I think you may have to concede this one. He quite clearly was a regular last season.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Ash is the only Villa player to have started the FA Cup Final and the game against Bournemouth.

Obviously circumstances effect that, people like Guzan, Gabby and Clark would have started both if fit/in favour.

But it shows with such wholesale changes in the team, Ash is still very much in favour.

• Like 1

Is the midfield really any more competitive? Let alone much more, we've lost two first team central midfielders and signed two central midfielders unless I'm forgetting someone.

With the pending signing of Adama and even Praet, yes it is. Also, Sanchez was Westwoods only real competition last year, now we can add Gueye and Veretout to the list of players who can fill that role.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ashley-westwood/leistungsdaten/spieler/91317/plus/?saison=2014

• He made 34 appearances. 

• He was subbed on in 2 of those. 

• He was subbed off in 6, 2 of those due to injury. 

• He missed a total of 8 games due to injury. 

• Only 3 times was he available but did not play, he was an unused sub on 2 of those occasions. 
  • Like 2