Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Even if he isn't going to be first choice in our midfield he's certainly a decent rotation player so I wouldn't sell him.

I like him, think he's handled the transition from league two to Premier League football very well. 

Yes hope we don't sell him in the summer.

Don't think that's likely. He is a very handy player to keep in the squad (might even be good enough to start, I need to see more from him under a proper manager). I don't think any club bigger than us would come and bid for him yet, and I can't see him move "sideways" to another club in the Prem. I also don't see him moving to a smaller club (one promoted from the Championship) even if promised regular football.

I'm sure he feels for this Club and will want to fight for his place in the starting 11. If, come the end of next season he doesn't get much game time, this might change.

All this is assuming we don't get relegated, of course.

This is the sort of midfield structure I've been crying out for us for years. One who sits infront of the back 4 and dictates play (Westwood), one who's box to box and also will insanely press (Cleverley) and one who will get forward the most and link up with the strikers (Delph).

It's nothing short of incredible that Sherwood has quickly worked out a system to get them all to play those roles as under Lambert it just seemed to be a case of just play all three in a line infront of our back 4 and hope for the best.

Worth noting our passing stats since Sherwood came in aswell, 58% today and that's generally been the case in most of his games. You see the difference with this and the crab football we were playing over xmas/new year.

We look like a proper team these days.

• Like 2

I usually don't notice him at all, and wonder why people are so strongly for or against him. But today he was excellent. And has been for awhile now, quietly.

Edited by AVTuco

It's a very good formation for us generally. I've never had an issue with it when people a while back were calling for us to go back playing with wingers in the team, just the negative deployment Lambert set up the central midfield as.

We can still improve it if we can get a more consistant option than CNZ or Gabby as the third attacking player.

So we are ok with the diamond formation now? Well, more of a pentagon isn't it with the 2 number 10's.

YEah it's not a diamond really.

It's a 4-3-3, just a much narrower 4-3-3 than we played under Lambert with the fullbacks providing the width

Had a great game today. The role he's playing is one that I find you only truly appreciate it when you see it live. 

In this kind of system he's definitely our Carrick. 

Edited by PieFacE

The proof of how important he is to us is when Sanchez plays in his place. He is crucial to us and our set up of play. He has been superb since the Liverpool semi final.

I've said it before but when he is snappy and aggressive in the tackle to go with his always good passing he's a great player. He has done this really well in the last few games and stepped up alongside Delph and Cleverly. Keep it up Ash. Sure it was Mirror bo locks anyway but we'd be mad to let him go. He's a good age and still improving