Ashley Westwood

Nabby

One aspect that I think has been overlooked is that we're now playing the 4-3-2-1 or 'Christmas Tree' formation. An obvious modern example is of course the great 'Ancellotti' AC Milan team, with Kaka and Rui Costa as the two number 10's (a la Grealish and NZog ;))

Now before everyone kicks off, I'm not for one second comparing Ashley Westwood to Andre Pirlo, however....

The number 4 is a key position in this system. This is the man who is flanked by two high energy midfielders (Gattuso+Seedorf/Delph+Cleverley), and whose job is to pick out the number 10's, pick out the striker, and dictate the play. If you watch Westwood closely during the West Ham 1st half, you can see he is dictating the pace and and tempo, and picking out the midfielders in forward areas. Pirlo was the key man in the Milan Christmas tree, and redefined the role of the deep lying playmaker.

Now we have a settled formation, line up, and a run of good performances, I fully expect Westwood to kick on, and really start to show off his passing range. I think it's also important to note the tempo of football in England is a lot higher than Italy and Europe, and therefore Westwood naturally has to move the ball quicker, sharper and shorter.

Brilliant comparison, and I'm happy to see us playing in this way. The question is, will we still be playing the majority of our games with this blueprint next season? And which players would you see as replaceable?

As a side note, my favourite player from that AC Milan team.... Martin Laursen

Cheers skarroki, agreed on Martin Laursen, what a hero, nearly shed a tear when I saw his retirement press conference!

It's hard to say whether we'll keep this system next season, however at this level opposition teams tend to do their homework and come up with a plan to nullify a team's tactics:

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/tactics/defending-against-a-4-3-2-1 (video)

I'll never forget that 2nd season under MON, when the 4-4-2 was flying, we were banging in the goals and all was good, and then the 2 years that followed as teams sat back and didn't let us hit on the break. We had to grind out results again and again...it was tough.

From what I read on Spurs forums, over the course of last season the same 'figuring out process' happened with Sherwood's team. Goals and good results to start with before the big teams worked them out and started to hammer them (ominously Arsenal did it twice)

I hope I'm wrong, but my prediction is that the 4-3-2-1 will lose it's surprise value and we'll revert to a more traditional system...I think that the players are spot on though, right through the team, I don't even think we need much transfer market action. I really believe on paper our first team should be 6th-8th (compare it to MON's XI from his last season)

I used to think he was part of the problem but yet another example than anything seen under the useless Lambert shouldn't be trusted

apart from his transfer dealings.

Yeah to be fair that's an area he looks to have done well in. Be interested to know how much input he had but deserves credit for bringing them in.

And to think he was plying his trade in League 2 (!!) before he joined us. If we're talking Lambert, let's talk about what an amazing find he was in that regard.

Reilly?

I used to think he was part of the problem but yet another example than anything seen under the useless Lambert shouldn't be trusted

Reilly?

I think the way it works is Reilly was responsible for all the good signings, and Lambert for all the bad ones ;)

I'm sure Lambert must have had final say on the signings. Other managers get credit/slated for their signings, I don't see why we'd have to make an exception with lambert just because it might reflect slightly positively on him.

Nope. Just trying to point out that a good scout plays a large part in signings.

Yeah to be fair that's an area he looks to have done well in. Be interested to know how much input he had but deserves credit for bringing them in.

To be honest, despite that being a (pretty lonely) feather in his cap, if anything it makes his management of the team look even worse.

And to think he was plying his trade in League 2 (!!) before he joined us. If we're talking Lambert, let's talk about what an amazing find he was in that regard.

Reilly?

Reilly?

I think the way it works is Reilly was responsible for all the good signings, and Lambert for all the bad ones ;)

I'm sure Lambert must have had final say on the signings. Other managers get credit/slated for their signings, I don't see why we'd have to make an exception with lambert just because it might reflect slightly positively on him.

Nope. Just trying to point out that a good scout plays a large part in signings.

Only the good ones though ;)

Its probably the one thing Lambert was good at was player spotting

Pretty important thing though..

• Like 1

Maybe Lambert should think about becoming a head scout somewhere. Far less pressure than being a manager and it seems he's considerably better at it. Would imagine it pays pretty well as well; if you can unearth a 1m player who later becomes a 6-8m player, you'll be rewarded.

Maybe Lambert should think about becoming a head scout somewhere. Far less pressure than being a manager and it seems he's considerably better at it. Would imagine it pays pretty well as well; if you can unearth a 1m player who later becomes a 6-8m player, you'll be rewarded.

Will he take Paddy Reilly with him? 

• Like 1

One aspect that I think has been overlooked is that we're now playing the 4-3-2-1 or 'Christmas Tree' formation. An obvious modern example is of course the great 'Ancellotti' AC Milan team, with Kaka and Rui Costa as the two number 10's (a la Grealish and NZog ;))

Now before everyone kicks off, I'm not for one second comparing Ashley Westwood to Andre Pirlo, however....

The number 4 is a key position in this system. This is the man who is flanked by two high energy midfielders (Gattuso+Seedorf/Delph+Cleverley), and whose job is to pick out the number 10's, pick out the striker, and dictate the play. If you watch Westwood closely during the West Ham 1st half, you can see he is dictating the pace and and tempo, and picking out the midfielders in forward areas. Pirlo was the key man in the Milan Christmas tree, and redefined the role of the deep lying playmaker.

Now we have a settled formation, line up, and a run of good performances, I fully expect Westwood to kick on, and really start to show off his passing range. I think it's also important to note the tempo of football in England is a lot higher than Italy and Europe, and therefore Westwood naturally has to move the ball quicker, sharper and shorter.

Brilliant comparison, and I'm happy to see us playing in this way. The question is, will we still be playing the majority of our games with this blueprint next season? And which players would you see as replaceable?

As a side note, my favourite player from that AC Milan team.... Martin Laursen

Cheers skarroki, agreed on Martin Laursen, what a hero, nearly shed a tear when I saw his retirement press conference!

It's hard to say whether we'll keep this system next season, however at this level opposition teams tend to do their homework and come up with a plan to nullify a team's tactics:

I'll never forget that 2nd season under MON, when the 4-4-2 was flying, we were banging in the goals and all was good, and then the 2 years that followed as teams sat back and didn't let us hit on the break. We had to grind out results again and again...it was tough.

From what I read on Spurs forums, over the course of last season the same 'figuring out process' happened with Sherwood's team. Goals and good results to start with before the big teams worked them out and started to hammer them (ominously Arsenal did it twice)

I hope I'm wrong, but my prediction is that the 4-3-2-1 will lose it's surprise value and we'll revert to a more traditional system...I think that the players are spot on though, right through the team, I don't even think we need much transfer market action. I really believe on paper our first team should be 6th-8th (compare it to MON's XI from his last season)

Look at the second half against West Ham. They changed their play style and got back into the game and we struggled to knock the ball about as we did in the 1st half. Only takes a few tactical tweaks to counter.

6th to 8th is a big call. I think we do very well in the "christmas tree" formation thanks to the players in it - but it asks them to cover a great deal of ground. That can be difficult over the course of 38 games without sufficient cover.

Its also worth remembering that we only started playing with this formation a few games ago really. Sherwood has also used a 4-4-2 diamond with Gabby and Benteke up front, a 4-3-3 with Sinclair and Zog as wide forwards and even a 4-3-3 with Sinclair and Zog as wingers.

He seems to change it up which is good, but IMO the system we have right now is one that could be one to make our own. Switch Zog for a better playmaker and bring in a new left back (maybe even Cissokho but I'm not sure Sherwood rates him), potentially a new keeper with better distribution, and I think we could have a solid team.

Westwood is pivotal to this formation, and I like that if we are winning we can bring on Sanchez who can A. Bring muscle and defensive attributes B. Launch counter attacks with his awesome headers.

And because of one game where everyone is playing atrociously, this comes back to Westwood.

Notoriously fickle bunch aren't we.

Your attitude to given in the match thread is exactly the same.

And because of one game where everyone is playing atrociously, this comes back to Westwood.

Not even close. Nice try though :)

Given hasn't pulled up any trees over the last few games and has looked weak and I've said as much after those games.. I much prefer Guzan.

Westwood always seems to cop flak if he doesn't play well in a single game.

He got caught out for the fifth but other than that he is one of the few actually trying his best and going in hard, the midfield haven't been too bad imo and have worked some good openings.  

Not even close. Nice try though :)

Given hasn't pulled up any trees over the last few games and has looked weak and I've said as much after those games.. I much prefer Guzan.

Westwood always seems to cop flak if he doesn't play well in a single game.

If you say so.

I dont actually think Westwood deserves to be singled out over anyone else.