Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I was surprised to see that he ran 7.1 miles in the West Ham game, second only to Cleverley who also ran 7.1, and ahead of Delph who only did 6.9, lazy fecker.

As Clev and Delph are both noted for their engine, it again shows that Westwood has a lot of attributes that often go unnoticed.

I was surprised to see that he ran 7.1 miles in the West Ham game, second only to Cleverley who also ran 7.1, and ahead of Delph who only did 6.9, lazy fecker.

As Clev and Delph are both noted for their engine, it again shows that Westwood has a lot of attributes that often go unnoticed.

I have a theory about this. You'll notice Cleverley's running because he's all over the place, whereas Westwood's running is a lot more compact, but he'll still do a hell of a lot of it.

• Like 1

Westwood for England.

To play alongside Cleverley and Delph.  I shit you not, they're as well balanced and perfect a midfield as I've seen at Villa in many a long year.  Which is a huge turnaround, because under Lambert none of them knew what they were supposed to be doing, and all looked utterly shite.  Now though, they're an immense unit and I look forward to seeing them play together for years to come.

To be fair, they always looked like a decent unit (kept the ball well, held roles etc) but under Lambert they didn't get forward at all.  There was an absolute gulf between midfield and Benteke which is why we were crying out for an attacking midfielder.

The shift in getting Delph and Cleverley as players who will break from midfield has massively changed our performances.  In fact, it's pretty much the only major change from the Lambert days - we look to get forward more quickly.  Lambert, in a strange way, has done us a forward in this regard as all the players at the back and in midfield look really comfortable on the ball.  We still retain possession when building up to an attack; there's no panic in the play at all.  The difference is that passes are now moving forwards as players push up the pitch too.

I'm not sure all 3 players are good enough to be regulars for England, but you're quite right in saying they're very well balanced.  It helps having Grealish as a number 10 as well because he'll take the ball off the midfield and also give it back, rather than losing it up top.  The four of them are linking up exceptionally well right now.

• Like 1

I have been complaining about the ineptitude of our midfield for some time, but I must say they have been brilliant recently. Delph and Cleverly especially have improved enormously, and Westwood has also been playing very well, probably the best he has played for us since he arrived, but I still feel he is the weak link in the midfield as he does not influence games enough. I would like to see him replaced with a stronger, more dominant player in that position, and retained as back up to that player.

I think Westwood has been performing to this standard for almost his whole time here. The only thing that changed is that there aren't 2 other midfielders who are sitting right next to him doing the exact same job anymore, and his role seems more defined. Now that we're more cohesive in midfield, he stands out more but looking at his performances there hasn't really been a major jump. He's been extremely consistent in that regard.

• Like 4

The shift in getting Delph and Cleverley as players who will break from midfield has massively changed our performances.  In fact, it's pretty much the only major change from the Lambert days - we look to get forward more quickly.  Lambert, in a strange way, has done us a forward in this regard as all the players at the back and in midfield look really comfortable on the ball.  We still retain possession when building up to an attack; there's no panic in the play at all.  The difference is that passes are now moving forwards as players push up the pitch too.

I'm not sure all 3 players are good enough to be regulars for England, but you're quite right in saying they're very well balanced.  It helps having Grealish as a number 10 as well because he'll take the ball off the midfield and also give it back, rather than losing it up top.  The four of them are linking up exceptionally well right now.

I can't agree with the bit in bold. We had a rigid 4-3-3 system under Lambert with the top 3 being Wiemann, Agbonlahor and Benteke.

We have played our best football in a 4-3-2-1 system with Gealish and N'Zogbia replacing Wiemann and Agbonlahor.

That aside, I even spot Westwood in and around the box at times - so the instruction from Sherwood to get forward has certainly had an impact on our midfield.

I think Westwood has been performing to this standard for almost his whole time here. The only thing that changed is that there aren't 2 other midfielders who are sitting right next to him doing the exact same job anymore, and his role seems more defined. Now that we're more cohesive in midfield, he stands out more but looking at his performances there hasn't really been a major jump. He's been extremely consistent in that regard.

This! He is a very solid and consistent player whose performances often go unnoticed if playing too close to other players. If the midfield is more spread and active in a possession-based game then his attributes are vital as he always presents and outlet and can move around the ball, allowing other players to find space and make runs.

Tweeted Nursey directly asking if there was any updates on Westwood/Sherwood. Got this.

@SAGW1991 it is not my opinion that counts, it is Sherwood's. I asked TS about Westwood & his future & form & will print response tomorrow

Hopefully it's positive!

Tweeted Nursey directly asking if there was any updates on Westwood/Sherwood. Got this.

@SAGW1991 it is not my opinion that counts, it is Sherwood's. I asked TS about Westwood & his future & form & will print response tomorrow

Hopefully it's positive!

Can't see how it wouldn't be.

Yep, time to officially stop paying attention to Nursey. Sherwood on the OS:

He said: "Ashley is definitely my cup of tea. He's the sort of footballer I like.

"He's not going to score you a bag full of goals but if you analyse him, he passes the ball forward more than most.

"He slides it in between the midfield and gets the No.10 on the ball.

"He passes it quick and the commentator does not have time to say his name. That's what I like.

"He's the Michael Carrick mould of a player and I think he can get better.

"I'm certainly happy with what he's doing. He's one of my favourite players."

http://avfc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=4708458

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

Meanwhile, Sherwood has insisted Ashley Westwood, 25, will NOT be sold this summer.

Sherwood dropped the 25-year-old midfielder for his first game in charge in February, and his chances of earning a recall were then restricted due to injury.

But Westwood, signed from Crewe for a bargain £900,000 in 2012 by Sherwood's predecessor Paul Lambert, returned for the FA Cup semi-final win over Liverpool following injury to Gabby Agbonlahor and has been in superb form since.

“He’s the Michael Carrick mould of a player and I think he can get better.

"He’s one of my favourite players. He’s definitely my cup of tea - the sort of footballer I like. He’s not going to score you a bagful of goals, but if you analyse him he passes the ball forward more than most.

“He slides it in between the midfield - gets the No10 on the ball. He passes it quick: the commentator does not have time to say his name - that’s what I like.”

• Like 3

I didnt think he would be a Sherwood player but he has proved me wrong and is on good form, really like the new midfield style and all 4 have done a good job since Sherwood came in

Easily our most underrated player. I'd be more worried about losing him than a lot of other players. He cost less than £1m, I think we'd struggle to replace him for seven times that or even 15 times that if British!

I think he took a lot of flack for the system, for the defensive element he was asked to do but now his true worth is really showing. I can't think of many times he's been seen to lack effort or even play a bad/lazy pass. He's quick and neat with the ball and does all the simple things well. He's not going to skip past players or hit 60 yard passes but that's not his job - he breaks up play and plays the quick, simple, short passes that makes space for others. We look a lot better with him than without him.

He's currently far superior to Sanchez, has been more consistent than the recently reborn Cleverley and rivals Delph for effort. I'm glad he's being talked about for England, even if that is unlikely.

Better still is Sherwood recognises it and those worrying stories about him being sold this summer are being denied.

Twitter_Photo_normal.jpgJames Nursey @JamesNursey · 38m38 minutes ago

Hopefully it's positive!

Can't see how it wouldn't be.

Sherwood is on the official site stating that he loves Westwood! Nursery is a clown

Absolutely pivotal to the way we play, as he allows Delph and Cleverley to bomb on and join the attack.

One who suffered greatly under Lambert and copped a hell of a lot of unfair slack.

Happy he's being recognised for the fantastic job he's doing.

Keep it up 'Westy' :)

• Like 4