Ashley Westwood

Nabby

The reason Westwood did so well against Liverpool is he was given a simple, well defined role: Defensive midfielder. He protected the back 4 and gave them an easy out ball.

Under Lambert, it seems he tried to (or was asked to) play exactly the same way as Delph and Cleverly did in midfield. He's not suited to that.

I don't think Westwood was asked to go forward like Delph and Cleverly. I thought the problem with the midfield under Lambert was that he wanted no one to go forward or even put the ball in the box lol.

The reason Westwood did so well against Liverpool is he was given a simple, well defined role: Defensive midfielder. He protected the back 4 and gave them an easy out ball.

Under Lambert, it seems he tried to (or was asked to) play exactly the same way as Delph and Cleverly did in midfield. He's not suited to that.

I don't think Westwood was asked to go forward like Delph and Cleverly. I thought the problem with the midfield under Lambert was that he wanted no one to go forward or even put the ball in the box lol.

This to be fair. Found it funny how other players got a pass for how bad Lambert's tactics were but Westwood wasn't. I think he'll really step up under Timmy.

Jesus what a difference a week makes I was getting slated last week for saying he offers more than Joe Cole, than people were harping on about how he can't waste time, people were then saying Sanchez was much better I said the problem with Sanchez is you need someone within 5 yards of him to take the ball off him, which means Delph & TC drop much deeper, I said Westy would allowed them to get forward more, and that I was looking forward to see what Sherwood could do with him. A complete roll reversal.

James nursey tweeted earlier that Westwood is still not fancied and expected to be moved on in the Summer.  Sad if true. 

Planning to replace him in the squad with Gary Gardner maybe? 

I like Westwood a lot but i'm willing to trust the manager on this if he thinks its the right thing to do.

James nursey tweeted earlier that Westwood is still not fancied and expected to be moved on in the Summer.  Sad if true. 

Planning to replace him in the squad with Gary Gardner maybe? 

I like Westwood a lot but i'm willing to trust the manager on this if he thinks its the right thing to do.

I guess we will see tomorrow if Westwood is dropped.  I'd find it hard to trust him on it if he is dropped for Sanchez tbh. 

I guess we will see tomorrow if Westwood is dropped.  I'd find it hard to trust him on it if he is dropped for Sanchez tbh. 

I know what you're getting at, but I would understand why Tim would prefer Sanchez over Westwood in trying to keep Yaya Toure in check (although I suspect neither would do a great job as he is exceptional physcially). I think there are other games where Westwood should get the nod - they will give us better insight.

I can see the merit of starting Sanchez ahead of him tomorrow to be honest, even if it would be incredibly harsh of Westwood,

Against Man City, we need people who won't make a guaranteed mistake to be honest. And somebody who can actually pass.

Sanchez is probably a more complete player than Westwood but right now, dropping Westwood off the back of one of his best performances for us, for a very out of form Sanchez would be obscenely harsh and wrong IMO.

• Like 2

The thing that annoys me most of all about the potential sale of Westwood is that I honestly think he isn't just a sitting midfielder and has more to offer the midfield. I think given the chance he could play the role that Cleverley plays and take part in the play further up the field.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Sunday was our greatest midfield display for years. I wouldn't alter it at all nor do I think Sherwood will. The only change I can see being made is Gabby in for Zog and a return to the diamond.

Edited by Isa

I find it so odd if Nursey's story is true.

Westwood is a perfect squad member. Not huge money, very tidy player, from what we can see, a good pro. It's really strange. Especially if Sherwood still doesn't rate him after Sunday. He must have seen how well the midfield worked. Sanchez is less proven than Westwood so far.

So far (again speculation and not moaning about Sherwood or wanting him sacked) Sherwood doesn't seem to fancy Westwood (if stories are true) and Gil. 2 smaller, technical players. It's weird.

Furthermore, buying Livermore and selling Westwood is mental. Backward step which would probably cost us money.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Maybe this weeks tactical masterpiece will be dropping 2 no10's and having 2 holding midfielders so Sanchez and Westwood start with Delph and Cleverley supporting Tekkers and Grealish!? Nzog makes way and the bench looks strong with Gabby on there to!

• Like 1

Westwood doesn't play like that all the time so I wouldn't be heartbroken if he left, but you'd think he'd be a good option in the squad and if he can perform like that more often he's a real asset. I'll trust Sherwood if he's got players in mind to fill the gap.

I know nursey knew lots when Lambert was in charge but maybe he's on the outside now and guessing like most journalists.

Transfer policy is the only thing I'm worried about with Sherwood now. He has zero pedigree or experience with it. I'm just hoping it isn't lazy signings like old Spuds players.

Transfer policy is the only thing I'm worried about with Sherwood now. He has zero pedigree or experience with it. I'm just hoping it isn't lazy signings like old Spuds players.

I don't think we're a club where the manager makes all decisions on transfers anymore.

So far (again speculation and not moaning about Sherwood or wanting him sacked) Sherwood doesn't seem to fancy Westwood (if stories are true) and Gil. 2 smaller, technical players. It's weird.

well he wasn't a technical player himself either was he. Clearly they don't run around hard enough and make wild tackles.