Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I used to think he was part of the problem but yet another example than anything seen under the useless Lambert shouldn't be trusted

apart from his transfer dealings.

And to think he was plying his trade in League 2 (!!) before he joined us. If we're talking Lambert, let's talk about what an amazing find he was in that regard.

Yep, Westwood really was an excellent find and is excelling under Sherwood.

I used to think he was part of the problem but yet another example than anything seen under the useless Lambert shouldn't be trusted

I've always rated the lad, as have others.

Nothing to do with your Lambert hatred here - you were just wrong pal ;)

• Like 2

Proud to have defended him adamantly for the last 3 years :)

• Like 3

oooh gold medals all round for everyone that didn't jump on his back, you're all winners :clap:

The point was more that it wasn't a case of Lambert making everyone shit.

But sure, moral highground and that  :clap:

His performances haven't changed that much for me.

He's continuing to do all the things he's always done well.

The rest of the team in unrecognisable though, and he doesn't have people standing in the way right alongside him.

Yes no problem with that.

oooh gold medals all round for everyone that didn't jump on his back, you're all winners :clap:

Yeah strange a couple so proud absolutely destroyed cleverly earlier in the year

One aspect that I think has been overlooked is that we're now playing the 4-3-2-1 or 'Christmas Tree' formation. An obvious modern example is of course the great 'Ancellotti' AC Milan team, with Kaka and Rui Costa as the two number 10's (a la Grealish and NZog ;))

Now before everyone kicks off, I'm not for one second comparing Ashley Westwood to Andre Pirlo, however....

The number 4 is a key position in this system. This is the man who is flanked by two high energy midfielders (Gattuso+Seedorf/Delph+Cleverley), and whose job is to pick out the number 10's, pick out the striker, and dictate the play. If you watch Westwood closely during the West Ham 1st half, you can see he is dictating the pace and and tempo, and picking out the midfielders in forward areas. Pirlo was the key man in the Milan Christmas tree, and redefined the role of the deep lying playmaker.

Now we have a settled formation, line up, and a run of good performances, I fully expect Westwood to kick on, and really start to show off his passing range. I think it's also important to note the tempo of football in England is a lot higher than Italy and Europe, and therefore Westwood naturally has to move the ball quicker, sharper and shorter.

Brilliant comparison, and I'm happy to see us playing in this way. The question is, will we still be playing the majority of our games with this blueprint next season? And which players would you see as replaceable?

As a side note, my favourite player from that AC Milan team.... Martin Laursen

Edited by skarroki

Yeah strange a couple so proud absolutely destroyed cleverly earlier in the year

Tbf, Pretty much everyone destroyed Cleverley.....

One aspect that I think has been overlooked is that we're now playing the 4-3-2-1 or 'Christmas Tree' formation. An obvious modern example is of course the great 'Ancellotti' AC Milan team, with Kaka and Rui Costa as the two number 10's (a la Grealish and NZog ;))

Now before everyone kicks off, I'm not for one second comparing Ashley Westwood to Andre Pirlo, however....

The number 4 is a key position in this system. This is the man who is flanked by two high energy midfielders (Gattuso+Seedorf/Delph+Cleverley), and whose job is to pick out the number 10's, pick out the striker, and dictate the play. If you watch Westwood closely during the West Ham 1st half, you can see he is dictating the pace and and tempo, and picking out the midfielders in forward areas. Pirlo was the key man in the Milan Christmas tree, and redefined the role of the deep lying playmaker.

Now we have a settled formation, line up, and a run of good performances, I fully expect Westwood to kick on, and really start to show off his passing range. I think it's also important to note the tempo of football in England is a lot higher than Italy and Europe, and therefore Westwood naturally has to move the ball quicker, sharper and shorter.

Bang on. This formation really suits us at the moment as well as Grealish's natural inclination is to cut in from the left and Nzogbia to cut in from the right. With this formation, they both have the freedom to drift wide or come in more centrally and because they've both got good movement (compared to Gabby or Wiemann) we look like we've always got good passing options than when we play 4-3-3

That's not how you spell 'homosexually'! ;)

Anyway, any plus points you get for that are halved for not wanting to get rid of Lambert for so long!

*coughs uncontrollably*

I will accept my internet points in redeemable vouchers for use at a time when I get it horribly wrong. Again.

That's not how you spell 'homosexually'! ;)

Anyway, any plus points you get for that are halved for not wanting to get rid of Lambert for so long!

I wasn't that late in my wanting to get rid of Lambert! Well before Hull. Well before.

And to think he was plying his trade in League 2 (!!) before he joined us. If we're talking Lambert, let's talk about what an amazing find he was in that regard.

Reilly?

apart from his transfer dealings.

Reilly?

I didnt, Do I get a medal now :)

• Like 1

Its probably the one thing Lambert was good at was player spotting