Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He really is so consistent and while I like Sanchez it's quite an important role to be consistent in. I don't think he is doing much different to the rest of his time here, it's more how the rest of the team is playing now which helps him look better.

He is doing better, as he isn't packed into the midfield with other players like sardines! He has the room to express himself now, and isn't under constant pressure from the other team attacking our defensive formation, whilst being under pressure to provide.

• Like 2

So we are ok with the diamond formation now? Well, more of a pentagon isn't it with the 2 number 10's.

YEah it's not a diamond really.

It's a 4-3-3, just a much narrower 4-3-3 than we played under Lambert with the fullbacks providing the width

Certainly played with a more traditional Diamond against QPR and Spurs before Gabby's injury and Sanchez's suspension. Against Everton N'Zogbia played much closer to Benteke, almost alongside him with Grealish more central than he was today. Westwood sits deeper, Cleverley right side and Delph left, not far off.

Today was indeed a pentagonal midfield, you would be hard pressed to call that a front 3. 

YEah with Gabby on it's 4-4-2 with a diamond.

With Zog it's him and JAck supporting Benteke with Cleverley, Delph and Westwood as the midfield 3. 

Which is crazy because that midfield 3 just didn't work under Lambert and now it's superb.

He puts in a shift, no lack of effort.Trouble is, there's never any end product with this guy. Rarely scores, and rarely assists. One to replace next season, with better quality .

Do you even know what his role is? He frees up Cleverley and Delph to do the above. Which they have been doing effectively. Not comparing the quality but did Makelele ever score or assist? Some football fans can't see the merit in a decent DM.

• Like 2

one thing im happy about Westwood is that he has stopped being a whiny player. at start of season he was always whining, moaning at referees about decisions and seems to have become happier now and gets on with his game

He puts in a shift, no lack of effort.Trouble is, there's never any end product with this guy. Rarely scores, and rarely assists. One to replace next season, with better quality .

Funny, I was just going to say that he looks like a keeper, and a starter. We need inexpensive, but capable players, in our financial situation (and under FFP). Here we have one.

His attitude has to be admired. Only a few weeks ago he was the subject of the Birmingham Mail article saying he'd be sold. Performed brilliantly at Wembley and been rock solid since. Westwood looks keen to put the shirt on every week and cement his place. I've always been very critical of his style of play but his sideways passing and the negative style we saw under Lambert has completely changed. He looks more agile, gets his head up and has players showing quicker in front of him for the ball.

Anybody know how many of the 51 passes against Everton were his?

I really rate Westwood. Think he plays the role of DM exceptionally well and is a big reason we are looking dangerous going forward - gives the other 4 midfielders the chance to get forward.

The midfield is starting to tick - polar opposite to how dysfunctional it was under Lambert.

I think Westwood is a now a key man for us in the midfield, and possesses the '5 R's' you see in the video. To be fair, England are crying out for a number 4. Hopefully he can knuckle down in pre-season, work hard, bulk up a bit maybe, and cement his status next year as the premier English number 4 

• Like 1

Westwood for England.

To play alongside Cleverley and Delph. I shit you not, they're as well balanced and perfect a midfield as I've seen at Villa in many a long year. Which is a huge turnaround, because under Lambert none of them knew what they were supposed to be doing, and all looked utterly shite. Now though, they're an immense unit and I look forward to seeing them play together for years to come.

They are all 25, and will hit their peak at 28/29. Scary!

I think Westwood is a now a key man for us in the midfield, and possesses the '5 R's' you see in the video. To be fair, England are crying out for a number 4. Hopefully he can knuckle down in pre-season, work hard, bulk up a bit maybe, and cement his status next year as the premier English number 4 

He lacks the ability to run with the ball effectively and consistently and particularly to beat a man, I'm not sure I've ever seen him do that? It is the weakest part of his game. 

However, I think that the player they are describing on that video is some player indeed! There are maybe 4 or 5 players on the face of the earth who can performa that way at the top level on a consistent basis. 

His game isn't about beating a man, we've got Delph ,Grealish, Cleverley and N'Zogbia to fo that. He provides a very effective link between defence and the more attack minded midfielders, which means that we're not reliant on hoofing it up to Benteke.  His longer passing is what beats a man, he doesn't need to be doing stepovers or Cruyff turns.

• Like 1

His game isn't about beating a man, we've got Delph ,Grealish, Cleverley and N'Zogbia to fo that. He provides a very effective link between defence and the more attack minded midfielders, which means that we're not reliant on hoofing it up to Benteke.  His longer passing is what beats a man, he doesn't need to be doing stepovers or Cruyff turns.

For what it's worth I wasn't suggesting he should be doing that. 

His job is to keep things "ticking over", intercept and break up the opponents play and hang around outside their 18 yard box ready to unleash a mad volley when a defensive header falls at his feet.

He distributed play very quickly and that gives us momentum to get forward quickly.

He's been playing really, really well and I hope he has a stormer against Arsenal, we'll need him to.