Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I'm not even convinced that he is a Sherwood player, but even if he wants to sell him in the summer, Ashley's now going to be buzzing and playing with tons of confidence over the next 3 games now.

I don't know about his win ratio but his man management is second to none!!!

I'd be worried about his tactical knowledge if he said anything near that.

However, he's clearly playing Westwood as a defensive midfielder at the moment and he's been brilliant.

• Like 1

Westwood might play deep and win a lot of tackles and make important interceptions at times but I think 'defensive midfielder' is an inaccurate description of his game.

"Holding" midfielders and "defensive" midfielders are two very different things. One has the sole purpose of breaking up opposition attacks and protecting the back four, the other is a midfielder that sits slightly deeper and is more defensive minded than the rest of the midfield but is still important in build up play. Westwood is the latter IMO, and the one Sherwood seems to dislike is the Holding midfielder (the former).

• Like 2

Cleverley said that he and Delph have a license to get forward because they know that Westwood or Sanchez will sit back.

Players like Westwood are very important players for teams that play like we are playing now. Similar to how Coquelin has come in at Arsenal and made a huge difference.

Yep, time to officially stop paying attention to Nursey. Sherwood on the OS:

He said: "Ashley is definitely my cup of tea. He's the sort of footballer I like.

"He's not going to score you a bag full of goals but if you analyse him, he passes the ball forward more than most.

"He slides it in between the midfield and gets the No.10 on the ball.

"He passes it quick and the commentator does not have time to say his name. That's what I like.

"He's the Michael Carrick mould of a player and I think he can get better.

"I'm certainly happy with what he's doing. He's one of my favourite players."

http://avfc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=4708458

The guy just can't say anything wrong at the moment. Absolutely spot on, especially about getting the ball to through the midfield to the #10. It's so understated how important that is to our buildup play. He consistently gets the ball forward to Grealish or N'Zogbia cutting right through the opposition midfield which starts many of our most dangerous attacks. 

• Like 4

He's made big strides defensively lately. I have no stats to back this up, but I feel like he's making a lot more tackles and interceptions in recent games, and some really crucial, game-saving blocks. Really good to see.

He's made big strides defensively lately. I have no stats to back this up, but I feel like he's making a lot more tackles and interceptions in recent games, and some really crucial, game-saving blocks. Really good to see.

right from the start of his time here he has always made loads of interceptions.

Fantastic comparison Rodders - similarly we have Bacuna bombing up the right side a la Cafu and the energy from Cleverley and Delph (especially Cleverley a la Seedorf) frees space up for Westwood.

The similarities in style now I think about it are undeniable. Tactics Tim.

One aspect that I think has been overlooked is that we're now playing the 4-3-2-1 or 'Christmas Tree' formation. An obvious modern example is of course the great 'Ancellotti' AC Milan team, with Kaka and Rui Costa as the two number 10's (a la Grealish and NZog ;))

Now before everyone kicks off, I'm not for one second comparing Ashley Westwood to Andre Pirlo, however....

The number 4 is a key position in this system. This is the man who is flanked by two high energy midfielders (Gattuso+Seedorf/Delph+Cleverley), and whose job is to pick out the number 10's, pick out the striker, and dictate the play. If you watch Westwood closely during the West Ham 1st half, you can see he is dictating the pace and and tempo, and picking out the midfielders in forward areas. Pirlo was the key man in the Milan Christmas tree, and redefined the role of the deep lying playmaker.

Now we have a settled formation, line up, and a run of good performances, I fully expect Westwood to kick on, and really start to show off his passing range. I think it's also important to note the tempo of football in England is a lot higher than Italy and Europe, and therefore Westwood naturally has to move the ball quicker, sharper and shorter.

Perfectly summed up Rodders.