The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

On 08/07/2020 at 14:09, Villan4Life said:

My suggestion (Player Report for last April 2018 (below) when Corey was on loan at Walsall, from Villa.  Corey Blackett-Taylor is now rumoured  being linked with Notts Forest & Celtic.

Hopefully he can fetch Tranmere some money.

corey-blackett-taylor-suggestion-that-si

Today's Nottingham Paper

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/transfer-news/nottingham-forest-celtic-transfer-news-4305423

Is that a genuine scout report you sent to a club?

Is it what you sent to a club @Villan4Life? In this case, I guess Tranmere? 

I've just never seen a proper scouting report so find it really interesting, that's all. You got any more you'd be willing to share?

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, sne said:

Gareth Barry has officially retired. 

11 years and 432 games for us.

Get him back on the coaching staff. I'm sure he still lives in the area.

For some reason, I always think the slower players make the best coaches/pundits as they had to think more and understood the game better.

Oh.... Mick Quinn.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Get him back on the coaching staff. I'm sure he still lives in the area.

For some reason, I always think the slower players make the best coaches/pundits as they had to think more and understood the game better.

Oh.... Mick Quinn.

Would love to have him back in some capacity, although I'm not sure how many fans have forgiven him.

Saying that, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the reaction on Villa's tweet was quite positive, thought there'd be more grumbling.

• Like 2

He might have left under a bit of a cloud but he gave Villa over a decade of his career to us. It was one of O'Neill's better moves to put him in the middle of midfield. If I remember he was very close to leaving us to go to Portsmouth so it was win-win that he played on for us for another 3 years before going to Citeh. Has anyone got near his appearances for Villa since he left? I doubt it. Grealish will have to stay for about another 5 years to match that.

He did not need to get his shorts dirty because he read the game so well. A quality  cultured player with a great left foot-even if he was a bit on the slow side! Great longevity as well. 

When Barry left that was the start of our decline. He may not have been the quickest or most flamboyant of players but what a professional he was and so, so consistent. Was also a really good leader and captain, led by example on and off the field. He turned into a more defensive player when he left but with us he got quite a few goals and assists each season, certainly between 2006 and 2009.

Was the sort of signing City needed to make to really push near the top, obviously he didn't have the goals of Aguero or the skills of Silva but he was the sort of level-headed character City needed in their team and a player with so much PL experience who was almost always fit on a Saturday and never injured. I wish he'd gone to a more historically bigger club than City, a team who didn't just have money to buy their success, but no one can argue he didn't make the right choice given what he won. 

It was a shame some of the Villa fans turned on him when he came back to VP, he left under a cloud because everyone knew we were going rubbish (myself included) but I thought Barry was decent when he left and wrote a letter thanking the fans for their support over the years. It was the board the fans should have turned on, not Barry.

Either way, I'm glad he has a place in the Villa history books and I wish him well in his retirement. Just a shame we couldn't win anything while he was with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Gareth Barry was quality. 

He just made the midfield tick. The type of player who you didnt always notice until he wasn't in the side.

Taxi stealing aside, seemed like a really decent bloke too

Wish him all the best for his retirement!

• Like 2

Great player for us. One farcically executed transfer shouldn't overshadow all the good he gave us as a player. I can remember when we signed him as a 17 year old from Brighton (? ) I think. Heart of the side for so long. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gillz said:

Gareth Barry was quality. 

He just made the midfield tick. The type of player who you didnt always notice until he wasn't in the side.

Taxi stealing aside, seemed like a really decent bloke too

Wish him all the best for his retirement!

The taxi story is amazing and adds to his legend.

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The taxi story is amazing and adds to his legend.

Not really, makes him look like a bit of a dick in a flawless career. He was 38 or something when it happened 

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

When Barry left that was the start of our decline. He may not have been the quickest or most flamboyant of players but what a professional he was and so, so consistent. Was also a really good leader and captain, led by example on and off the field. He turned into a more defensive player when he left but with us he got quite a few goals and assists each season, certainly between 2006 and 2009.

I agree with the sentiment of your post and I also agree he was treated poorly when he left - he admitted he wanted a new challenge and felt he was going stale at Villa. That all made sense to me. 

However when we were pushing for the top 4 especially the last 2 seasons with 3 or 4 games left and still in with a chance, thats when you want your captain to drive you on. Barry never had that character. Sure he was a steady Eddie, but he just wasn't dynamic to inspire the team to push it over the line. Gerrard at the time would always pull Liverplop out of the shit seemingly just by force of will. I'm sure Jack Grealish would have stuck one in the top corner had we been that close, or Andy Townsend would have rallied the troops, instead we ended up with 0-0 draws against poor teams at home in the end stages of the season. Just my two cents - never disliked him though and model pro.

9 hours ago, sne said:

Gareth Barry has officially retired. 

11 years and 432 games for us.

So?

Got a few England call-ups because of us and what we did for him... and let Gerrard seduce him and drip poison in his ear... then he jumps ship to play in the "Champions League" for a team that finished below us in the league and hadn't even qualified for Europe...

He's no McGrath... Laursen... Petrov.... or Mellberg

Edit: At least Mellberg had the class and the respect for us to go to a team that were already European heavyweights and where he wouldn't be playing against us twice a season

Edited by DJ_Villain

Â