The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, green is worse, Green couldnt even cut it in the championship with us, or at PNE where he couldnt even get a regular spot in the team, he didnt even get regular starts for Charlton.

For all Trez's faults, his goals were critical to us staying up.

Absolutely, his goals were vital. But even in those last games his general play was absolutely woeful. 

Given Green's age and potential to get better, I cant get on board with Trezeguet being worth keeping and Green worth getting rid of. At times last season I thought Trezeguet was one of the worst players I've ever seen at Villa. (And I've seen a lot!)

Trez is a better player than Andre Green. You’re comparing a player you’ve only seen playing in the Premier League with a player you’ve only seen in the Championship. There’s a reason why Trez regularly makes the starting 11 and Smith had no place for Green in his squad.

I like Green though. Hope he manages to make something of his career. I think he still needs to find his position, and try and string together a decent run of games.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I agree with the sentiment of your post and I also agree he was treated poorly when he left - he admitted he wanted a new challenge and felt he was going stale at Villa. That all made sense to me. 

However when we were pushing for the top 4 especially the last 2 seasons with 3 or 4 games left and still in with a chance, thats when you want your captain to drive you on. Barry never had that character. Sure he was a steady Eddie, but he just wasn't dynamic to inspire the team to push it over the line. Gerrard at the time would always pull Liverplop out of the shit seemingly just by force of will. I'm sure Jack Grealish would have stuck one in the top corner had we been that close, or Andy Townsend would have rallied the troops, instead we ended up with 0-0 draws against poor teams at home in the end stages of the season. Just my two cents - never disliked him though and model pro.

I get what you say but I don't think that was Barry's style. He led more quietly and by example. Gerrard also grew up as a Pool fan so had more affection there and was generally a more dynamic player.

We haven't had a great deal of quality players over the years sadly and consequently Barry is probably getting more respect and recognition than he would ordinarily, particularly as he left us for a team whose primary aim was to buy their way to the top at our and other football clubs expense.

Even so, I think his importance to us during the decade he was with us shouldn't be underestimated. 

• Like 1

On 27/08/2020 at 19:49, Genie said:

He was banned for drink driving as a youngster as well wasn’t he? 

When he first made the breakthrough. From what I understood he was a bit of rebel as a youngster but someone must have had a word with him because he became a great professional. 

I remember Barry coming into the team as a 17yo (i think) and playing in a back 3. He was so cool, calm and collected on the ball. 

If that was today he's have been snapped up by Citeh or Man Utd for about £50m-£75m as a teenager. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Xela said:

When he first made the breakthrough. From what I understood he was a bit of rebel as a youngster but someone must have had a word with him because he became a great professional. 

Not sure. Heard a few podcasts. Hendrie Crouch etc and apparently Barry was always there on a night out and got into as much trouble as anyone. Even at Citeh in his 30s he was known for a night out.

Never really got reported it seems. He got away with it because he could never run in the first place and was a brilliant footballer. I am sure if he relied on energy like Lee he might have been finished a lot sooner.

If anything it is a credit to his actual ability.

8 hours ago, useless said:

We had four or five goals in the goal of the season competition that season, this one from Dean Saunders didn't even make it...

I'll never forget John Motson (not the commentator on that clip) saying on Final score after the game, "Forget goal of the season, I think Dean Saunders has scored the goal of the decade here today."

I think it's a goal when in the stadium it was mind blowing - as live, you have a sense of the whole pitch and the outrageous place from where he took the shot. But on TV you don't get the full picture and a different scale somehow, so it's not as impressive at Dalian skinning half the team and lobbing the keeper. Anyway that's my two cents as an old fart who loved watching that team play live that season.

Also, thats the nicest kit we've had in 30 years. Please bring it back, tasseled collar and all. Just love the claret ring around the bottom of the white shorts ♥️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Not sure how true it is but apparently was a heavy smoker as well. As mentioned by others testament to his ability he wasn't held back by it

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Barry was a better servant and player for Villa than 3 of the 4 names you mention. As much as I loved Mellberg and Laursen, they are more cult figures as opposed to Barry, who is genuinely one of the best players we've had in the last 30-35 years. A superb player for us. Laursen would have been a great if he'd played more. Barry was also at least twice the player Petrov was.

We are going to have to agree to disagree mate. The way Barry treated us when he jumped ship left a very bitter taste in my mouth only surpassed since by Delph...

Milner crossed the same divide to join Man City to "win trophies" and I don't think anywhere near as badly about him as I do Barry

3 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree mate. The way Barry treated us when he jumped ship left a very bitter taste in my mouth only surpassed since by Delph...

Fair do's, but i'm going on contribution to Villa on the pitch as well. Yes, it was disappointing he wanted to leave but he went and won honours. He didn't get his move to Liverpool and then stuck his head down and had another good season.

Dwight Yorke was another Villa great but unlike Barry he sulked and to an extent gave up on the pitch for that one game to force a move. Like Barry, it doesn't diminish what he did on the pitch for us. 

23 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Milner crossed the same divide to join Man City to "win trophies" and I don't think anywhere near as badly about him as I do Barry

Milner jumped at the 1st chance he got yet people love him for some reason. He spent entire summer not saying anything and showed no commitment 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Fair do's, but i'm going on contribution to Villa on the pitch as well. Yes, it was disappointing he wanted to leave but he went and won honours. He didn't get his move to Liverpool and then stuck his head down and had another good season.

Dwight Yorke was another Villa great but unlike Barry he sulked and to an extent gave up on the pitch for that one game to force a move. Like Barry, it doesn't diminish what he did on the pitch for us. 

You and I clearly see it differently mate...

If I was happily married for 12 years and then suddenly my wife left me for some homeless bloke because he won the lottery, I would very quickly forget the happy 12 years...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

You and I clearly see it differently mate...

If I was happily married for 12 years and then suddenly my wife left me for some homeless bloke because he won the lottery, I would very quickly forget the happy 12 years...

Clearly! Hey, its a game of opinions :)

Â